• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

selling HS short?

karasmom

Mouseketeer
I am planning to take my 5 yo and almost 3 yo to HS only to see Sofia and to do Dis Jr. Live (even that I am debating on). Now seeing Sofia is a MUST- my almost 3yo is obsessed. But we are staying at the WL and it seems like a big PITA to go to HS to see sofia and then leave :rotfl:

Am i selling HS short? Am i missing something? Every other time we went we really didnt enjoy ourselfs there that much and left after half a day. :confused3

We are staying dec 31st through Jan 5th if that makes a difference.

HS is definitely not my favorite park, but there are definitely other things to do there that they would like. When are you going? The Osbourne Lights will be up over Christmas season, and I would see them now before they disappear (rumor that they will to make room for CarsLand).

Toy Story Mania they would like, but you need FP for that. Otherwise the standby line is anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes during the day at any given moment.

There's shows there like Little Mermaid and such. Probably not a whole day's worth of stuff but definitely some other things that I'd hit.

I went there with a toddler

She loved disney jr
Also loved the giant honey I shrunk the kids play area
Also liked the backlot your due to the train ride
She also liked the little mermaid

I liked toy story - I think a 5 yr old would like it bc they get to shoot things.

1) DHS is good for tiny tots, but only for a few attractions.
2) Unfortunately, DHS is a major disappointment for man of us.
. . . poorly laid-out design
. . . hard to efficiently navigate
. . . not a lot of rides/attractions

NOTE: One must remember that Disney-MGM was still in the "thought stage"
when they decided to rush it. This was done because of the new Universal
Studios. When Disney-MGM opened, it had only three attractions. And, with
AK, they are STILL the weak sisters in the Disney Universe. (IMHO)

Good Morning:

It is difficult to take small children to HS for an entire day. I believe that the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area is still closed. It was three weeks ago. But, if it is open kids really enjoy it. Don't forget Toy Story Mania. Will definitely need a FP during Christmas season. There is also Beauty and the Beast stage show. I can't imagine kids not liking this. Mermaid is a definite, too. Muppets 3D is child oriented, as well. I think that you can easily get at least 1/2 day or more here; especially if you eat there.

Have fun and don't sell HS short.

I have a 4yo and 6yo. It's so funny how people opinions differ so much. We do a day and a half at HS and only a half day at Epcot. My kids love HS. As others have mentioned, Dis Jr. , little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, and Toy Story. Last year when they were 3 and 5, we went. They loved the Indiana Jones Show, Lights, Motors, Action, and my 5 yo couldn't get enough of Tower of Terror. For us, we love it. Just depends on what your kids are into. I wouldn't sell it short at all.

I have a 4yo and 6yo. It's so funny how people opinions differ so much. We do a day and a half at HS and only a half day at Epcot. My kids love HS. As others have mentioned, Dis Jr. , little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast Show, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, and Toy Story. Last year when they were 3 and 5, we went. They loved the Indiana Jones Show, Lights, Motors, Action, and my 5 yo couldn't get enough of Tower of Terror. For us, we love it. Just depends on what your kids are into. I wouldn't sell it short at all.

I was going to say the same thing! We were planning a second day at Epcot and only one at HS, but DS4 freaked. He HAD to go back to HS! But, then again, it's obviously not for everyone...

Yep... We could easily do a day and a half here. I think the thing is that the shows are at spread out times so it easily can take time up. We do TSMM (at least twice), Jedi Training, Playhouse Disney, mermaid, p&f, muppets, American idol, beauty and the beast, plus the other playhouse Disney characters. DH and I also get RR in there with child swap, soooo you can see how that becomes a long day when we try and get that all in, lol!! You will be surprised how much there is to do...

Yep... We could easily do a day and a half here. I think the thing is that the shows are at spread out times so it easily can take time up. We do TSMM (at least twice), Jedi Training, Playhouse Disney, mermaid, p&f, muppets, American idol, beauty and the beast, plus the other playhouse Disney characters. DH and I also get RR in there with child swap, soooo you can see how that becomes a long day when we try and get that all in, lol!! You will be surprised how much there is to do...

This is probably something obvious that I should know, but I can't think of it right now. What is p&f?

Edited to add - Oh, Phineas and Ferb, I got it!!

My 4-year-old loves Disney Junior and Pixar so Hollywood Studios is a must for us--even if only for half a day (we have park hopper tickets).

Kiddo will FLIP when he meets Mike and Sulley, Woody and Buzz and even Sofia. :) :laundy: (smilie was my son's choice.)

1) DHS is good for tiny tots, but only for a few attractions.
2) Unfortunately, DHS is a major disappointment for man of us.
. . . poorly laid-out design
. . . hard to efficiently navigate
. . . not a lot of rides/attractions

NOTE: One must remember that Disney-MGM was still in the "thought stage"
when they decided to rush it. This was done because of the new Universal
Studios. When Disney-MGM opened, it had only three attractions. And, with
AK, they are STILL the weak sisters in the Disney Universe. (IMHO)

I hate to be one to correct people, but there are a few things in this post are a little bit off...

The Disney-MGM Studios was never meant to be a major third theme park. It was going to be something extra for resort guests along the lines of the Disney Village Marketplace, River Country, Pleasure Island, Discovery Island...

Also, the park opened with six attractions: The Great Movie Ride, The Magic of Disney Animation, Superstar Television, The Monster Sound Show, The Backlot Tour, and Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

Not trying to be rude. Just clarifying.

HS is actually my favorite park. I find it easy to navigate bc it's much smaller than the others. My DD is 4 and although there aren't much rides for her ( I personally LOVE ToT, I giggle hysterically on it) there are plenty of shows. and being this is where to find disney jr characters it's def a huge deal for us. that being said, we always do HS on our arrival day, usually getting there at 1pm. We are able to eat and see the majority of what we want. this trip in 5 days will be the first time we are having a late arrival and will have a whole day in HS.
I also think fantasmic is great and so are the Osbourne lights

I am pretty excited about HS for my DD's (3 & 6). If it ends up as half a day, then it will be a great day to rest & enjoy our resort. I am guessing that it will be one of, if not the absolute, favorites of the trip. They will LOVE Sofia, Disney Jr Live on Stage & Little Mermaid. We have breakfast at H&V, too, so that will be fun for them, too.

While I realize this trip is mostly supposed to be for the kids, I am pretty sure I will be the most excited one in the group at MK :hyper:. At HS, I think the kids will be the most excited!

We still love DHS. DGS loves the stunt show and this trip he'll get to enjoy the Disney Jr. characters. Going to brave the boring buffet for him to go to H&V. I love the nostalgic feel of the park. Most of my family really love RRC and ToT. Fantasmic is a great way to end our day there. Just love it all...

. . . Also, the park opened with six attractions: The Great Movie Ride, The Magic of Disney Animation, Superstar Television, The Monster Sound Show, The Backlot Tour, and Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular . . .

1) If we count the walk-thru or viewing "attractions", I absolutely agree.
2) But, the three draws were GMR, Backlot, and Indiana.
3) As for an "extra", then it would have been free.
4) Parks are fee-based, extras are usually free.
. . . they did try to charge for Pleasure Is (the center section of DTD)
. . . of course, that did not last, since people would not pay the tariff
. . . the rest of DTD was free
5) Also, Disney-MGM was touted as a "functioning studio".
6) This is far from "an extra".
6) TV or movies made, or partially made, at The Studios.
. . . Mickey Mouse Club
. . . Baby Races
. . . Family Secrets
. . . Let's Make a Deal
. . . Star Search
. . . Teen Win, Lose or Draw
. . . Brother Bear
. . . Lilo and Stitch
. . . Mulan

Ok, we are nerds, but when we took the kiddos at 3.5 and 6, ST (the original) was a HUGE hit. They loved it. I am sure we spent a third of our day just doing ST. And that was with DD in her princess phase.

I think there's loads of stuff as people have mentioned. Definitely hit Little Mermaid and Muppets in addition to Playhouse. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter