• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selling DVC

allisonswonderland

DIS Veteran
Why do people sell? Are there any people who are un happy? I guess I am a person who is looking to buy but also looking for the cons. I know the pros.

Any number of reasons : for some maybe it just wasn't the right ' fit ', also vacation habits change, family situations ( divorce, etc. ), some may have over-extended themselves financially & don't want to deal with paying off loan and/or annual MFs. Also some members sell a contract when a new DVC resort becomes available because they like to own points at what is newest & latest.

I think the reasons for selling are as varied as the reasons for buying.

Situations change and what was right for someone 1, 5 or 10 years ago isn't a good fit anymore for all the reasons mentioned above.

One other possible reason is to unload a contract at one resort to generate cash to add-on at another. With the announcement of BLT I suspect this will be the case for a good many folks.

And I'd imagine, too that some owners have sold for a profit (Bought OKW in the $50's and sold for more, now)
Selling for a profit is something most timeshare owners cannot claim (usually sell for pennies on the dollar)

Selling for a profit is NOT guaranteed with DVC. And should never be a reason to buy. It just happened to be a nice perk. Reselling SSR has been going in the $70's and many bought in the $80's/$90's (Although I still think most at least got their money's worth out of using the contracts)

Well after ten years as members we found that while DVC is still the same as when we joined, Disney World is not. Nor are the people that visit WDW. For us it's more about the people. Seems more and more people are always trying to get away with things that they know they aren't suppose to be doing. All with the excuse of " For what I paid to be here ( fill in the blank ) " as if everyone else in the parks and resorts are getting some sort of "free ride". Then things like only 1 in 4 CMs even say hello back to you anymore when you say Hello to them. It just seems to us that the people have killed our interest for WDW more than any of Disney's actions ever could have. As the old saying goes, you can't fly with the eagles when your surrounded by turkeys. JMHO

We sold because after the dues increase at BWV - the amount we were paying in dues would get us a week in a Value, Moderate, or Swan/Dolphin - which is all we really need at this point. DS is an only child and now stays up as late as we do, so the extra room really isn't an issue like it was when he was a baby or it would be if we had a larger family. Additionally, we realized that by selling we could use the proceeds to buy a camper and put a porch on our house...and the camper will allow us to travel even more around the country, both Disney and non-Disney, locally and far away. So I guess we fall into the category of vacation habits changing. Not that we won't be going to WDW annually like we did as DVC members, just that we realized that we wanted to use our vacation dollars differently.

Primarily, people that can't afford their DVC loan payments or their annual DVC dues will be forced to sell their contracts.

Aside from that, there are many other lifestyle and financial issues that could motivate people to sell.

We sold a few years ago due to a job loss and bills piling up. Although, now that things are back on track and we have a bit of money saved up we are looking to purchase again. We have our name on a list at TTS to look for 100 pt. BCV contracts for us, so yes some people sell because they have to, but DVC is a great thing and we plan to buy again.

I got tired of paying nearly $2500 a year in dues. I sold off about half of my points. Dues started in the $2.50 a year per point when we first bought. Now they are moving up to nearly $5 a point.

I also got tired of DVC making it simpler for us and changing the rules. And then not following the rules that they kept.

Once a year is fine with me.

I sold one 60 point SSR contract with a Feb UY in order to offset some of the purchase of 100 point contract at AKV with a Aug UY. When we originally purchased DVC we didn't understand enough about the UY. For a while we'll have two UY.

We sold our 350 point contract and turned around and bought 2-150 point contracts so that we could will each of our 2 sons an equal DVC contract.

To be honest, I feel that your questioning why people get rid of DVC is not cool. I mean isn't it obvious that it is going to be a negative reason. It is nobody's business why they leave. It adds value to find out why people join but leaving is usually due to some tragedy and leave it alone.

Let's be thankful that we are owners. I love my dvc and can't wait to return.

I don't think that at all. I feel the the OP is wise to uncover all aspects of DVC ownership good and bad. Not every reason someone sells is negative. I'm prime example of that.

To be honest, I feel that your questioning why people get rid of DVC is not cool. I mean isn't it obvious that it is going to be a negative reason. It is nobody's business why they leave. It adds value to find out why people join but leaving is usually due to some tragedy and leave it alone.

No tragedy for us. Just bad taste in my mouth about DVC and how it is changing.

We are selling. No "Tragedy" going on at all. Just not happy with DVC after ten years. Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to reply to this thread, nor is anyone makeing you read it.

If you look at the top the the page it say " The DIS DISCUSSION Forums. One sided threads don't qualify as "Discussion".

I would also like to find out the answers to OP's questions. I think it is a very cool and legitimate question because I would also like to be a new member of DVC. I don't just jump into a big purchase because I've heard people saying it's wonderful and "should have bought sooner." I know this is the DIS boards and I should expect happy DVC owners, but it's also fair to want to see the negatives of something. That's how we make sound decisions, by doing research and finding out as many views as possible of both the positive AND negative, to see if DVC is indeed a good fit.

No tragedy, fine. I think not having DVC is a negative thing. That was my discussion.

I think having DVC is a negative thing. Disney has changed so much and the yearly "dues" are getting ridiculous. Never mind the price now of getting there and the cost of tickets.....we are selling! Not like it used to be which is so sad. Unless you have money that you just don't have anything else to do with, I wouldn't buy!

Disney has changed so much and the yearly "dues" are getting ridiculous. Never mind the price now of getting there and the cost of tickets.....

I know what you mean. When I first started dreaming of DVC, there were so many benefits to it and my children were younger also. But while I've been waiting for my perfect DVC, one on the monorail, I've noticed over the years the declining reasons for me to actually buy. So far I'm still finding enough reasons to get into BLT because I LOVE the location, but my needs have actually changed a bit. My kids are a little bit older and we've had great vacations both on and off site. Now with this economy and Disney offering huge discounts, free dining, etc. I wonder if maybe just renting rooms like we've been doing would be a better deal for now. No commitment, no advance planning required, no skyrocketting MFs. Not to say it's not magical anymore. Just have to pause and think first. Disney is still my favorite, but not by as much as it used to be.

I am not surprised by people's growing dislike for DVC. The cost factors due add up and it pays for itself is not so for everybody. Also vacationing at the same place over and over again can become boring. My children are still relatively young and enjoy going but I can see in 5-7 years they will become bored with it. Then what, it certainly is not so easy to trade out to top locations in the world.

I was trying to defend those who have left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter