Selling Contract to Get a Better UY

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
Just got back from our HHI trip. It's the third time we have been in July and probably the last. It was miserably hot and just too much for us as we get older. We have been in October before and liked it. We plan on going back next year in October. We have also talked about wanting to go in April/May, but right now we are both teachers and that is impossible with our work schedules. When we retire in a few years, I think it would be a perfect time to go, but we would need a different UY. We have two HHI contracts with a June UY. I'm thinking an April UY would be better. This will allow us to travel April/May, early June with family due to school schedules, October, and possibly at Thanksgiving. We do not think we would ever travel there in December, January, February, or March. How much will I lose if I sell my contracts (purchased directly through Disney) and repurchase resale? I know I will lose since I purchased directly the first time around, but what I'm looking for is the present loss we will have. How much will we possibly be out right now? TIA!

How often do you cancel your reservations? That's really the only benefit of a specific use year. You're going to lose at least 10%, plus closing costs. I don't think it'd be worthwhile.

How often do you cancel your reservations? That's really the only benefit of a specific use year. You're going to lose at least 10%, plus closing costs. I don't think it'd be worthwhile.

I agree.

DisneyStarWisher - Your June use year works very nicely for every travel time you mentioned except the APril/May trips. Are you going to travel every year at that time? And when you do travel at that time, how often do you anticipate cancelling the trip after your banking deadline (January 31)? IMO, it makes more $$ sense to keep what you have and just consider travel insurance for the April/May trips.

I have had to cancel reservations before. We seem to be very unlucky. Our family members tend to get sick and/or die right before our trips. Sorry if that seems cruel; it's just a fact. It's so bad that I get very nervous before our trips. Also my DH has a rare type of kidney stones that have no cure or prevention. He has to have a surgery every year and has been told he will have to for the rest of his life. We never know when his attacks will hit. So with all that, I would be very nervous to schedule a trip for May with a June UY. We have been talking that we would like to go to HHI every year for about 12 nights after we retire. We want to do the same at WDW each year. Our WDW trips will be in November, December, or January each year (making best use of an AP). We would also like to do shorter family trips to HHI and/or WDW in June or October each year. After looking at the other times of the year when we could go, April/May looked like the only time. We own a farm, so we would have to work around planting/harvesting times, especially if we will be gone for such a long time. I just think that an April UY would be the only way to go.

I have had to cancel reservations before. We seem to be very unlucky. Our family members tend to get sick and/or die right before our trips. Sorry if that seems cruel; it's just a fact. It's so bad that I get very nervous before our trips. Also my DH has a rare type of kidney stones that have no cure or prevention. He has to have a surgery every year and has been told he will have to for the rest of his life. We never know when his attacks will hit. So with all that, I would be very nervous to schedule a trip for May with a June UY. We have been talking that we would like to go to HHI every year for about 12 nights after we retire. We want to do the same at WDW each year. Our WDW trips will be in November, December, or January each year (making best use of an AP). We would also like to do shorter family trips to HHI and/or WDW in June or October each year. After looking at the other times of the year when we could go, April/May looked like the only time. We own a farm, so we would have to work around planting/harvesting times, especially if we will be gone for such a long time. I just think that an April UY would be the only way to go.
Do you need to add points for all those additional trips you mentioned? You might just need to add on with a different use year. If the May trips would be to WDW and the October trips would be to HHI, that could work. Otherwise, depending on how many points you own, I'd guess you'd lose between $1,800 to $2,500 if you sold and repurchased.

Will you lose some money, probably.
A chance to start over with the correct favorite resorts and UY, worth it IMO.

:earsboy: Bill

Do you need to add points for all those additional trips you mentioned? You might just need to add on with a different use year. If the May trips would be to WDW and the October trips would be to HHI, that could work. Otherwise, depending on how many points you own, I'd guess you'd lose between $1,800 to $2,500 if you sold and repurchased.
I would need lots of additional points. I see what you are saying though. Use my existing points for the family trips to HHI in June or October. Then purchase additional points with an April UY for our May trips. We have AKV points with a June UY as well. Those will work fine since our WDW trips will be in June, October, November, December, and/or January. We will just have to add on some more for those trips, but I would keep the June UY.

Will you lose some money, probably.
A chance to start over with the correct favorite resorts and UY, worth it IMO.

Thanks. I am a value type person though so it will hurt really bad to lose money. I think even if I won the lottery I would be the same way. I'd have to know how much money I would lose before I would be able to make that decision. Should I contact somewhere like The Timeshare Store to inquire about the amount?

I also worry about the timing of everything. Would it be better to purchase a contract that becomes available before selling mine so that I don't lose precious vacations?

The only way to try to figure out is to check the boards on what has sold recently, and they what spread you would have between what you buy and what you sell. The closing costs would be the same so you would know those. As others have said you also have your 10%com, some sites are down to 7% right now. If you could bridge it, I would hold on and buy when your UY comes up at a favorable price, then put yours on the market at the higher end and make a wish.

More UY's, maybe a separate membership is more work to keep track of. Do you really want to deal with it. Do you want to change names on your contracts or add someone to your membership? Now may be the time to buy other contracts and sell if necessary what you have. The cost is less than one vacation.

The only way to try to figure out is to check the boards on what has sold recently, and they what spread you would have between what you buy and what you sell. The closing costs would be the same so you would know those. As others have said you also have your 10%com, some sites are down to 7% right now. If you could bridge it, I would hold on and buy when your UY comes up at a favorable price, then put yours on the market at the higher end and make a wish.
Thanks. We will definitely have to wait until my kids finish college to do this. We don't have extra money just lying around. But it makes sense to do it this way.
More UY's, maybe a separate membership is more work to keep track of. Do you really want to deal with it. Do you want to change names on your contracts or add someone to your membership? Now may be the time to buy other contracts and sell if necessary what you have. The cost is less than one vacation.

Why would I need to change names on my contracts or add someone to my membership? I agree having two UYs may be more difficult, but another poster's suggestion to keep my June UY for family vacations may make sense. I have almost the exact amount I would need for those vacations; I may have to take about 10 points from the April UY which wouldn't be a big deal since the trip would be in June or October. I would just have to refrain for using June UY points for my May trips which means I would need to buy enough points for those trips so I would never need to.

Between elderly parents and the bumps life often tends to toss out there, I am familiar with what you are saying & tend to hold my breath when booking out of bankable range.

When adding on our last contract, after deciding upon the resort, the next thing on my list was an alternate UY from the ones I have now. It's working out well but I have to think twice about combining points from the different contract numbers. I don't bother to transfer points between them, but link reservations at the 7 month mark to finish the reservation if necessary.

Between elderly parents and the bumps life often tends to toss out there, I am familiar with what you are saying & tend to hold my breath when booking out of bankable range.

When adding on our last contract, after deciding upon the resort, the next thing on my list was an alternate UY from the ones I have now. It's working out well but I have to think twice about combining points from the different contract numbers. I don't bother to transfer points between them, but link reservations at the 7 month mark to finish the reservation if necessary.
Ok, so you have me thinking more now when you said that about transferring points and linking reservations. Could I not book three studios at 14 points/night for 5 nights using 2 June UY contracts and one April UY contract without transferring or booking them all separately and linking the reservations? Right now when I book they use points from both of my June UY contracts with no problems. Would it not work to use say 10 points from my April UY contract as well?

Last edited:
Ok, so you have me thinking more now when you said that about transferring points and linking reservations. Could I not book three studios at 14 points/night for 5 nights using 2 June UY contracts and one April UY contract without transferring or booking them all separately and linking the reservations? Right now when I book they use points from both of my June UY contracts with no problems. Would it not work to use say 10 points from my April UY contract as well?
No, you cannot book a single reservation using two different use years. But you could book all but one night with your June use year and the one last night you need with the April use year contract.

Thanks. We will definitely have to wait until my kids finish college to do this. We don't have extra money just lying around. But it makes sense to do it this way.

Why would I need to change names on my contracts or add someone to my membership? I agree having two UYs may be more difficult, but another poster's suggestion to keep my June UY for family vacations may make sense. I have almost the exact amount I would need for those vacations; I may have to take about 10 points from the April UY which wouldn't be a big deal since the trip would be in June or October. I would just have to refrain for using June UY points for my May trips which means I would need to buy enough points for those trips so I would never need to.

You don't need to add names or change ownership, what I am saying is if you wanted to put your deed in trust or add someone to your membership, buying a different contract would allow you to do that.

/\yes, you cannot combine the points even after 7 month window. You can either 'buy' one-time usage points from DVC at 7 month window or book the necessary # of nights from the other contract number. No issue having MS link the reservations but you would have separate reservations & that could reflect upon ADRs & charges back to the room (need to visit the front desk to reauthorize CC).

Since you feel you need to add points I'd agree with doing that in a second UY and book using the points that will give you the most protection from last minute cancellations. We too have had to cancel or adjust 3 trips due to deaths in the family. We have 2 UY's and it's been all that was needed to allow us time to use holding points and not lose a single one.

I'd estimate that the cost of selling and rebuying once you figure the commission and fees could possibly equate to losing 2 full years worth of points if you're looking at selling and buying points that are similar in cost. Personally unless I had a couple more reasons I'd simply continue with the UY I had and hope that the cancellations were all in the past.

Also, I rather frequently end up using points from both UY's for a stay. Overall it's not a big deal IMO.

No, you cannot book a single reservation using two different use years. But you could book all but one night with your June use year and the one last night you need with the April use year contract.
/\yes, you cannot combine the points even after 7 month window. You can either 'buy' one-time usage points from DVC at 7 month window or book the necessary # of nights from the other contract number. No issue having MS link the reservations but you would have separate reservations & that could reflect upon ADRs & charges back to the room (need to visit the front desk to reauthorize CC).
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize you couldn't do that.
Since you feel you need to add points I'd agree with doing that in a second UY and book using the points that will give you the most protection from last minute cancellations. We too have had to cancel or adjust 3 trips due to deaths in the family. We have 2 UY's and it's been all that was needed to allow us time to use holding points and not lose a single one.

I'd estimate that the cost of selling and rebuying once you figure the commission and fees could possibly equate to losing 2 full years worth of points if you're looking at selling and buying points that are similar in cost. Personally unless I had a couple more reasons I'd simply continue with the UY I had and hope that the cancellations were all in the past.

Also, I rather frequently end up using points from both UY's for a stay. Overall it's not a big deal IMO.
I am definitely not willing to lose 2 full year's worth of points. Just isn't happening!!!
How do you end up using points from both UYs for a stay. Do you book an additional night using a different UY or do you transfer the points from one UY to the other?

Either should work.
I understand. But what do most people do? I'd say if you were booking several studios it would be easier to book an additional night using a different UY since it's such a small number of points, but if you were booking a GV it would be more difficult. It might leave too many points in one UY and take too many out of another. As far as transferring the points, what are the rules for that? I'm thinking it's one transfer per year and you can't transfer banked points. Am I correct? Are there any more rules? Can you transfer them at any time? I'd want to make sure to have the 11-month booking window.

I understand. But what do most people do? I'd say if you were booking several studios it would be easier to book an additional night using a different UY since it's such a small number of points, but if you were booking a GV it would be more difficult. It might leave too many points in one UY and take too many out of another. As far as transferring the points, what are the rules for that? I'm thinking it's one transfer per year and you can't transfer banked points. Am I correct? Are there any more rules? Can you transfer them at any time? I'd want to make sure to have the 11-month booking window.
That's the rule on transfers, but they tend to be more flexible when it's all in your own account. You cannot transfer banked points, but you can bank transferred points.

It's best to treat each use year as it's own separate account and use each for specific trips. Once you start moving points around between them, or commingling reservations, you do risk stranding some points. It's not idea, but it's better than losing so much money on the transaction costs of selling and repurchasing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter