Selling Back Points

spm23

Mouseketeer
I know a lot of people add on points but if I start with 400 points and wanted to reduce to 200 after a few years, can I sell those 200 to the timeshare co or back to Disney.

Many Thanks

If you are strongly thinking about selling back a portion of your points make sure to buy two separate contracts. You can not sell back a portion of a contract. So in your example you should buy 2-200 points contracts. Then you can have the option of selling one through a place like the Timeshare Store.

Disney does not buy back directly. They have a right of first refusal (ROFR). When an offier is accepted by a seller, Disney has a right to step in and take the terms of the offer and buy the contract back.

The Timeshare Store and others do not buy contracts either. They are brokers who list, present offers, handle paperwork, etc (like any real estate broker). The person you deal with should be a licensed real estate broker, who uses licensed sales representatives. The Timeshare Store is.

You can check a real estate license and its standing here:
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Default.asp

You can also check the BBB here:
http://www.orlando.bbb.org/

That is a good reason for doing two seperate contracts. I prefer having the same use year and resort, so I would do two contracts from Disney. Selling one will be much easier that way.

So if I start with two contracts, does it make booking holidays harder through them, or just quote two different numbers?

Many Thanks

If its two contracts under one name, there is no difficulty at all. There can be a problem with booking whole nights from two accounts.

ie: My sister and I are both DVC members, we want to book 5 nights and split the points. The only way to do this is to beek two nights with one account, three nights with the other and transfer half the points required for one night from the account that booked two to the account that booked three.

When both the contracts are under the same name, they just flip the points back and fourth however they need to with no problem at all. I have two contracts, both the same use year, there is no effort made at all to discern witch account is paying for witch nights.

Originally posted by spm23
So if I start with two contracts, does it make booking holidays harder through them, or just quote two different numbers?

Many Thanks

In this case, you'll have a master contract of 200 points and an add-on contract of 200 points- both part of the same membership number unless you want 2 Use Years (No reason to do that, IMO.) They will be treated as 2 separate contracts from a legal standpoint, but as one for making reservations. You'll have no trouble making holiday (or other) reservations.

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter