Selling a purebred dog! Need help!

ckay87 said:
I am 43 and I can tell you that I just adopted my last puppy. She'll live until I'm close to 60 and beyond that, life (quality and duration) is too uncertain to be responsible for another baby (a puppy.) HOWEVER, I fully intend to continue having dogs. The shelters are absolutely packed with senior animals in need of a home. In recently adopting, we came across the most gentle, quiet min pin. She was too quiet for us now, but that's precisely the dog I will rescue when I'm 60+. I look forward to it actually.

My thought exactly. We adopted our old Minky as a 10wk old pup when I was 44. Holy cow! It was like having a baby in the house. He died 2yrs ago and we just adopted a new doggy in the winter, a 5yr old bichon-poo. I'm 56 now and as much as I love this dog, I'm so glad he's not a puppy! My knees & feet give me a lot of trouble now. I do.t quite have the energy to keep up with a young dog but I anticipate being able to manage for at least the duration of Tiki's life.

My 79yo mom adopted her dog 4yrs ago, a border collie mix. If there was ever a wrong breed for a little old lady its a border collie. That dog had more energy than a power plant. But now mom is getting frail. She can't walk the dog or pick up after him. He weighs about 70-lbs now. She can't lift him into the car. Mom has talked of moving onto a senior apt, but she can't take a big dog like this. And she doesn't have a plan for the dog or the two cats that she also acquired.(or at least she won't share it with me.)

I have no problem with seniors having pets, but they need to think it through and have a good backup plan.

We have two weims. They are a very unique breed; very energetic, needy, and often high-strung. But they are gorgeous (especially as puppies!) so people get them without doing their research, and this happens ALL the time!

In your situation, you say she already has a weim, so am surprised she didn't know all this already and know that a new weim puppy might not be the best idea.

PLEASE, I beg you, if this dog came from a reputable breeder, contact that breeder to see if they will take the dog back. If not, and I am begging you again, contact the nearest WEIMARANER RESCUE club.

Both of our weims are rescues (both were originally in homes where the owners "couldn't handle" them). The rescue organization will make sure the dog goes to a home with owners who can adequately care for and meet the unique needs of this breed of dog.

Heck, I'm in my 20s and a puppy is too much for me! :laughing: I'd think that a more mature dog would be appropriate for just about anyone but especially a senior who already has another dog.

OP: you've gotten great advice here. Contact the breeder or a rescue.

Can you take the dog, OP?

Lots of interesting info out there on pets and the elderly.

Anyway, here's a sampling of info to share - clearly there is a movement to help elderly and pets get and stay together:

Pets for the Elderly Foundation
http://www.petsfortheelderly.org/articles.html

Purina Pets for People (55+)
http://www.petsforpeople.com/petsfor55plus

Humane Society of Broward County Senior Scholarship Program
http://www.humanebroward.com/php/adoptsenior.php

Anti-Cruelty Society Pets for the Elderly
http://www.anticruelty.org/petsforelderly/

Benefits and Risks

Benefits and Risks of Owning Pets for Older Adults, Seniors, and the Elderly - See more at: http://blog.planprescriber.com/2013/06/25/seniors-elderly-pets/#sthash.IWe1Gpqj.dpuf
http://blog.planprescriber.com/2013/06/25/seniors-elderly-pets/

Statistics

Profile of Pet Owners (ages)
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2006/03/07/gauging-family-intimacy/63-2/

From the ASPCA

How many pets are in the United States?/ How many animals are in shelters?/etc.

Facts about U.S. Animal Shelters:

There are about 5,000 community animal shelters nationwide that are independent; there is no national organization monitoring these shelters. The terms “humane society” and “SPCA” are generic; shelters using those names are not part of the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States. Currently, no government institution or animal organization is responsible for tabulating national statistics for the animal protection movement.
•
Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.

•
According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), less than 2 percent of cats and only 15 to 20 percent of dogs are returned to their owners. Most of these were identified with tags, tattoos or microchips.

•
Twenty-five percent of dogs who enter local shelters are purebred. (Source: NCPPSP)

•
Only 10 percent of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 78 percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered, according to the American Pet Products Association (Source: APPA).

•
More than 20 percent of people who leave dogs in shelters adopted them from a shelter. (Source: NCPPSP)

Facts about Pet Ownership in the U.S.:
•
About 62 percent of all households in the United States have a pet. (Source: APPA)

•
About 78.2 million dogs and about 86.4 million cats are owned in the United States. (Source: APPA)

•
According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), about 65 percent of pet owners acquire their pets free or at low cost.

•
The majority of pets are obtained from acquaintances and family members. Twenty-six percent of dogs are purchased from breeders, 20 to 30 percent of cats and dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues, and 2 to 10 percent are purchased from pet shops.

•
At least one-third of cats are acquired as strays. (Source: APPA)

•
More than 20 percent of people who leave dogs in shelters adopted them from a shelter. (Source: NCPPSP)

•
The cost of spaying and neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for one year.

•
The average cost of basic food, supplies, medical care and training for a dog or cat is $600 to $900 annually. Seventy-eight percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered. (Source: APPA)

Facts about Pet Overpopulation in the U.S.:
•
It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States; estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.

•
The average number of litters a fertile cat produces is one to two a year; the average number of kittens is four to six per litter.

•
The average number of litters a fertile dog produces is one a year; the average number of puppies is four to six.

•
Owned cats and dogs generally live longer, healthier lives than strays.

•
Many strays are lost pets who were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.

•
Only 10 percent of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered, while 78 percent of pet dogs and 88 percent of pet cats are spayed or neutered.

•
The cost of spaying or neutering a pet is less than the cost of raising puppies or kittens for a year.

We have two weims. They are a very unique breed; very energetic, needy, and often high-strung. But they are gorgeous (especially as puppies!) so people get them without doing their research, and this happens ALL the time!

In your situation, you say she already has a weim, so am surprised she didn't know all this already and know that a new weim puppy might not be the best idea.

PLEASE, I beg you, if this dog came from a reputable breeder, contact that breeder to see if they will take the dog back. If not, and I am begging you again, contact the nearest WEIMARANER RESCUE club.

Both of our weims are rescues (both were originally in homes where the owners "couldn't handle" them). The rescue organization will make sure the dog goes to a home with owners who can adequately care for and meet the unique needs of this breed of dog.

I sure hope that the OP sees our two posts and ignores the "how old is too old" stuff. The only thing that matters at this point is the welfare of the dog. PLEASE relinquish to a rescue :worship:

I sure hope that the OP sees our two posts and ignores the "how old is too old" stuff. The only thing that matters at this point is the welfare of the dog. PLEASE relinquish to a rescue :worship:
Sorry, but thumbsdown to this. A lot can be learned from a discussion like this. It's not just the OP reading. It came up as part of the OP and it's a valid and pertinent point as well.

Unfortunately, I doubt the OP is going to do the right thing by this dog.

Unfortunately, the OP doesn't control what happens to the dog. It is her mother's dog. She make firm suggestions, but that is all. Hopefully the dog will get a good home.

Unfortunately, the OP doesn't control what happens to the dog. It is her mother's dog. She make firm suggestions, but that is all. Hopefully the dog will get a good home.
Actually, it's her MIL's dog. Which probably gives her less control, even.

I do give her credit for posting here looking for help. I hope she finds it. (Sounds like she has been given some rescue leads to follow up on.)

Sad, undoubtedly. But let me ask you this. If the person who died took care of the dog well and derived benefits from having the dog in his or her lifetime, do you think that was a poor choice on their part? Would you rather see the person without the benefits that their beloved pet no doubt brought?

(Not saying there's a right or wrong answer, but just posing it as a philosophical question. I know it's difficult for those working rescue. It's also difficult seeing elderly sad and alone, though. Oh, and btw, I am not of the "people come before animals" mindset - I just like to see everyone treated well.)

I think the elderly should get an adult animal they can "grow old" together with instead of a puppy. An adult animal is much harder to place in a good home but still make wonderful pets! They would also be much easier to care for because they would be already trained in most cases and would enjoying relaxing and enjoying their hand company. They would not require the constant supervision and attention puppies require. Not saying this is a hard set rule but it is true for the majority! If a 70 year old adopted a 5 year old dog the dog would have probably at most 10 more years left, which statistically speaking, so would the person. They would both be able to leave out their lives together, happily!

I have personally taken in a 10 year old cat who's owners family decided they didn't want to "deal with it" when the owner died. Max is miserable! He spent the first 2 weeks chasing me around house attacking me and crying because he was so upset. Now he rips his own hair out because he is depressed! He doesn't play and never purrs. He doesn't have any medical issues (has been checked out multiple times) but is simply depressed! This is why I say it is a terrible idea to get a puppy/kitten if you are elderly.

Don't get me started at thinking its ok to "rehome" for whatever stupid reason you use to justify! I see your "inconveniences" killed everyday because your irresponsible!

I didn't read all the replies so someone might have already posted this. You need to check the contract with the breeder. We have a pure bred and our breeder, who is a lawyer, wrote into our contract that we couldn't sell our dog. If we could no longer keep him she'd take him back.

My thought exactly! Gee, DH is going to be devastated when I tell him we can't get a new pup because of his age. :confused3 Seriously--Talk about age discrimination:confused:

Under the criteria that some people are giving, you should get a Newfoundland - they only live 8 to 10 years so you won't outlive it. Personally, if your DH wants a dog, I say go for it. I would let age be your deciding factor no matter what people are saying.

I think as people get older, they will realize that 70 is not old any more.

I just hope that OP's MIL finds a home for her dog.

Unfortunately, I doubt the OP is going to do the right thing by this dog.

Thanks for the support here... It actually isn't my choice AT ALL, as I originally said in my opening message. It's my MIL's dog, and it's up to her what she does with the dog. I also stated that I didn't agree with it. If it was my choice, I'd look to adopt the dog out.. probably to a rescue, however I don't get to make the choices here. I'm simply trying to guide and help my 70 year old MIL who just lost her husband, is financially in a panic, and not necessarily making the best decisions these days.. such as purchasing this puppy in the first place. So in the best interest of the dog, I turned here for help.

On that note, I'd like to thank those of you who actually have tried to help me by offering some advice. I did ask her about a contract, and she said she didn't sign anything! So this now makes me believe that she most likely UNKNOWINGLY bought from a puppy mill, though she says she has papers for the dog?!? I spoke again with her yesterday and told her that she may want to contact a rescue service and see what they say (might have a bigger affect if someone like that tells her to surrender the dog). Thanks to the person who gave me the information for that.. Much appreciated!

I hope she makes the right call here ...:worried:

I think the elderly should get an adult animal they can "grow old" together with instead of a puppy. An adult animal is much harder to place in a good home but still make wonderful pets! They would also be much easier to care for because they would be already trained in most cases and would enjoying relaxing and enjoying their hand company. They would not require the constant supervision and attention puppies require. Not saying this is a hard set rule but it is true for the majority! If a 70 year old adopted a 5 year old dog the dog would have probably at most 10 more years left, which statistically speaking, so would the person. They would both be able to leave out their lives together, happily!

I have personally taken in a 10 year old cat who's owners family decided they didn't want to "deal with it" when the owner died. Max is miserable! He spent the first 2 weeks chasing me around house attacking me and crying because he was so upset. Now he rips his own hair out because he is depressed! He doesn't play and never purrs. He doesn't have any medical issues (has been checked out multiple times) but is simply depressed! This is why I say it is a terrible idea to get a puppy/kitten if you are elderly.

Don't get me started at thinking its ok to "rehome" for whatever stupid reason you use to justify! I see your "inconveniences" killed everyday because your irresponsible!

sorry...but I disagree...I see plenty of 70+ years olds who have young dogs and they do just fine with them.

Thanks for the support here... It actually isn't my choice AT ALL, as I originally said in my opening message. It's my MIL's dog, and it's up to her what she does with the dog. I also stated that I didn't agree with it. If it was my choice, I'd look to adopt the dog out.. probably to a rescue, however I don't get to make the choices here. I'm simply trying to guide and help my 70 year old MIL who just lost her husband, is financially in a panic, and not necessarily making the best decisions these days.. such as purchasing this puppy in the first place. So in the best interest of the dog, I turned here for help.

On that note, I'd like to thank those of you who actually have tried to help me by offering some advice. I did ask her about a contract, and she said she didn't sign anything! So this now makes me believe that she most likely UNKNOWINGLY bought from a puppy mill, though she says she has papers for the dog?!? I spoke again with her yesterday and told her that she may want to contact a rescue service and see what they say (might have a bigger affect if someone like that tells her to surrender the dog). Thanks to the person who gave me the information for that.. Much appreciated!

It's still worth a call to the breeder.

sorry...but I disagree...I see plenty of 70+ years olds who have young dogs and they do just fine with them.

But what when they are 80+ and their dog needs help being lifted in the car or whatnot?
A lot depends whether you have a yorkie or a newfoundlander :) but still.

Imho, you (general you) should not only think "oh, I'm 70, still active, let's get an energetic puppy because I can still handle it riht now" but also think "if I get the energetic puppy right now, will I still be able to handle it in X years?"
And family easily says "oh, we'll take care of it". And then when that time comes "oh, we have kids yet, no time to take on the pet" or whatnot.

I am still young but I adopted an older dog. I have a lot of love to share with a pet, I love puppies, but I didn't feel up to training a puppy.

Having papers for the dog just means that the person who files to get the papers states that the parents were registered for that breed. The AKC does nothing to verify that the dog's parents met any breed quality standard or that the real parent is actually the stated parent. You could register a three headed cat as an AKC affenpinscher. It is possible for the AKC to investigate and revoke registration, but this is highly unlikely. Thus, it's pretty common for your puppy mill dogs to have papers.

But what when they are 80+ and their dog needs help being lifted in the car or whatnot?
A lot depends whether you have a yorkie or a newfoundlander :) but still.

Imho, you (general you) should not only think "oh, I'm 70, still active, let's get an energetic puppy because I can still handle it riht now" but also think "if I get the energetic puppy right now, will I still be able to handle it in X years?"And family easily says "oh, we'll take care of it". And then when that time comes "oh, we have kids yet, no time to take on the pet" or whatnot.

I am still young but I adopted an older dog. I have a lot of love to share with a pet, I love puppies, but I didn't feel up to training a puppy.

Spot on! :thumbsup2 Just because you can doesn't mean you should. When we were looking for our last dog I specifically went after dogs 5 & older. I'm almost 57, with some health issues including mod-severe arthritis and allergies. At my age, I am already someone limited in my mobility so I did not need a puppy or young dog with high energy and training needs. Initially, I thought I wanted another standard poodle, around 45-55-lbs. But then I considered my current age and looked down the scope 15yrs; I'll be 72 then. That was the biggest factor in choosing our latest dog. Did I *really* want a fairly large poodle? Who would be there to help me lift him in and out of the car or going up the stairs when he gets old (before Minky died we had to do all these things and it was very difficult for me then.) One rescue group I contacted tried their best to get me to adopt one of their very active golden-doodles, a large 1yr old that shed like crazy.:rolleyes2 Yeah, how it get it ALL wrong!

My hat's off to all those 70yr olds who want to give it a go with a large, high maintenance puppy. Truly! I just know that for us, going with a smaller and older dog was the best choice. And I wish, I WISH my mother had been realistic when she chose her dog.

I would venture a guess that many more young singles/couples give pets up than older people.

The situation is what it is at this point. The question is whether the MIL has a certain amount she wants for the dog or would she be willing to turn it into a rescue if returning to the breeder is not an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter