Selling a purebred dog! Need help!

I would suggest she hand the puppy into a reputable rescue charity or take her back to the breeder. Do not give her away for free!! My cousin works for an animal charity in America which is trying to deal with people from dog fighting groups who search adverts for cats and dogs listed as 'free to a good home' who send someone dressed very respectably to collect the animal which is then used as a bait animal for fighting dogs.

Yes, they can, but it isn't smart. If they are going to get a puppy or kitten at 70, they need to have someone lined up to take on the dog or cat FOR LIFE 5, 10, 15 years down the road. When people get that old, they rarely have the energy or life span to take on an animal that will live 10-20 years. What happens when they die? Go into a nursing home? That's when you see all sorts of older animals turn up at shelters.

When my mother died at 79, she had one seriously disturbed cat that was about 7-8 years old. It had feline hyperesthesia and could be violent. Thank goodness a relative took on that cat and kept it for 7-8 more years.

DH and I have gotten 2 kittens over the past 2 years. Since my last cat lived to be almost 20, I would not be surprised if these do too. Adding 20 years to my age, I will be pretty dang old when these cats pass, if they make it into their upper teens. We will not get any kittens when these pass, because we probably won't have another 20 years left in us and it's not fair to take on a pet you can't take care of FOR ITS LIFE.

Yes, puppies and kittens are adorable and you can't help but want them. But you must add on their expected life span to your age and see if you will be in good enough shape at that age to properly care for them. If not, don't get them. Or get an older pet that has less years left to live.

Wow" this is harsh. My DH is 68 and I bet he can run circles around most 30 year olds. He chops wood, refinished houses, etc. his father is 93 and still lives on his own. He went with us to Disney World and rode EVERYTHInG!

Wow" this is harsh. My DH is 68 and I bet he can run circles around most 30 year olds. He chops wood, refinished houses, etc. his father is 93 and still lives on his own. He went with us to Disney World and rode EVERYTHInG!

MTE! Hard to believe that someone in this day and age would believe such things!

That's great. His dad just beat the odds. Statistically, most people will not be the exception to the rule.

It's not harsh. It is just simple statistics and common sense. Yes, a few will live much longer and be in great health until they drop dead. They are not the majority by a long shot.

It sounds as if the OP's mom made an emotional decision rather than an informed one. She appears to be unable to manage the puppy and likely, part of that is due to her age and what that age represents for most people.

MTE! Hard to believe that someone in this day and age would believe such things!

Besides the lifespan issue, having a puppy is a ton of work. They get into everything, chew, need lots of attention (someone to play with them, walks), need to be let out often to house train, need obedience training, socialization. Its like having a toddler.

Besides the lifespan issue, having a puppy is a ton of work. They get into everything, chew, need lots of attention (someone to play with them, walks), need to be let out often to house train, need obedience training, socialization. Its like having a toddler.

And most 70 year olds would be ill advised to take on a toddler. Regarding the last two kittens we got, I said to DH that it was like having a toddler again. Wonderful, but constant vigilance was required.

I agree, in this order

Breeder return
Weimeraner Rescue
No Kill Shelter

I saw this on Craigslist the other day:

ANIMAL CONTROL WARNS ABOUT CRAIGSLIST, PET RE-SELLERS
VIDEO -----> http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/...-the-Dangers-of-Craigslist-Ads-210290531.html

Animal Control Warns About Dangers Of 'Craigslist Ads' And 'Pet Flippers'

By Phyllis M Daugherty, Fri, June 28, 2013

A white Pit Bull puppy, named Duke, will have a permanent limp because of injuries he sustained while a teenage boy kicked and beat him after he was given away on Craigslist. Duke had belonged to a family that ran an ad on Craigslist offering him, "free to a good home."

They claimed they could not afford to keep their two dogs and gave Duke to a young couple that "seemed nice, but didn't have much money," says Ingham County Animal Control in Michigan. They gave away the other dog that same day.

In April, Ingham County Animal Control got a tip from a frantic young girl reporting that a small white Pit Bull was being kicked and beaten by a teenage boy. That dog was Duke. The couple was never found, but Duke will never walk or run normally because of the abuse he suffered at their hands.

Officers eventually found Duke, thanks to the Good Samaritan who called in the tip on the animal-cruelty tip line. They also were able to contact his original family because he is microchipped.

In a June 6, 2013, report on WILX.com, Ingham County Animal Control warns about the dangers of giving away any pet without carefully screening the potential adopter. They advise pet owners to personally check out the location where they plan to keep the animal and verify their identity and the contact information they provide.

People give away all kinds of things for free on Craigslist, but your pet should not be one of them, Ingham County Animal Control told WILX.com.

"Dog Flipper" Nabbed After Report of Craigslist Scam

After a dog owner called Indianapolis Police to report their German Shepherd had been stolen in a Craigslist scam in January 2013, authorities began to monitor Johnny Jones, Jr., who had been flagged as a possible "dog flipper."

Indianapolis Animal Care and Control officials explain that "dog flippers" get dogs for free or very cheap and flip them for profit like house flippers flip houses. They say Jones acquired German Shepherds, Rottweillers and Pit Bulls from unsuspecting owners on Craigslist and other sources.

When officers did a search of Jones' home, they confiscated firearms and four dogs. They believe Jones may also be linked to stealing some dogs out of people's yards. He reportedly attack-trained some of the dogs, which would change the behavior of the dog, even if it were later returned to the owner.

The German Shepherd owner found her dog because it was micro-chipped, but most owners never see their pets again and it is likely that the future of these animals is not good. Indianapolis Animal Care and Control warns that animals used for "flipping" are often housed in horrid puppy mill-like conditions.

In the case of Johnny Jones, Jr., police say he was charged with being a serious violent felon in possession of firearms. Unfortunately, there are no laws that address "dog flipping"

--If you cannot keep your pet, take it to your local animal shelter or humane society--only after you have exhausted all possibility of having it adopted by someone you know and trust and preferably by someone the dog already knows, so that the pet does not feel abandoned.

--Check the background and facilities of anyone who claims to be a "rescuer." Unfortunately,"dog flippers" sometimes pose as "rescuers."

--Do not advertise a pet free or at a very low cost on Craigslist or any other publication.

Yes, they can, but it isn't smart. If they are going to get a puppy or kitten at 70, they need to have someone lined up to take on the dog or cat FOR LIFE 5, 10, 15 years down the road. When people get that old, they rarely have the energy or life span to take on an animal that will live 10-20 years. What happens when they die? Go into a nursing home? That's when you see all sorts of older animals turn up at shelters.

When my mother died at 79, she had one seriously disturbed cat that was about 7-8 years old. It had feline hyperesthesia and could be violent. Thank goodness a relative took on that cat and kept it for 7-8 more years.

DH and I have gotten 2 kittens over the past 2 years. Since my last cat lived to be almost 20, I would not be surprised if these do too. Adding 20 years to my age, I will be pretty dang old when these cats pass, if they make it into their upper teens. We will not get any kittens when these pass, because we probably won't have another 20 years left in us and it's not fair to take on a pet you can't take care of FOR ITS LIFE.

Yes, puppies and kittens are adorable and you can't help but want them. But you must add on their expected life span to your age and see if you will be in good enough shape at that age to properly care for them. If not, don't get them. Or get an older pet that has less years left to live.

My mother is an active and healthy 74 year old. She has talked about getting a dog over the years, but travels a lot so it would be a bit unpractical, although my brother's family would dog sit whenever she needed. It never occurred to me that she should not get a pet because of her age. She babysits two toddlers frequently and is more than capable of taking car of herself and a pet. If she were to pass before the pet, someone in the family would take the pet.

I volunteer with a Weim rescue here in Michigan and have two Weims that I have adopted. I urge you to insist that she place them with a rescue. Many Weims are just "too much" for most people and a rescue will help to ensure that the dog is placed with a good match.

I'd be happy to get some contact information for Weim rescues in your area. PM if you're interested!!!

I think it's less about age than it is about ability to love and care for the pet properly. I mean, there are plenty of young people who don't meet that criteria, but plenty of older folks that do. I actually love seeing elderly people with pets - it often gives them a reason for getting up in the morning if they're depressed, and helps them feel loved and wanted at a time when they may be lonely. I've even seen it as a reason for someone sick to get better and get home again. Again, as long as they can care for them properly, I don't see it as a problem. Plenty of pets have to be rehomed when their owners die, go to jail, get divorced, move, etc. Not ideal, but it happens.

My mother is an active and healthy 74 year old. She has talked about getting a dog over the years, but travels a lot so it would be a bit unpractical, although my brother's family would dog sit whenever she needed. It never occurred to me that she should not get a pet because of her age. She babysits two toddlers frequently and is more than capable of taking car of herself and a pet. If she were to pass before the pet, someone in the family would take the pet.

Nobody said she shouldn't get a pet. Nobody even said she shouldnt get a dog. Taking care of a puppy is a whole different ballgame than a dog.

I am 43 and I can tell you that I just adopted my last puppy. She'll live until I'm close to 60 and beyond that, life (quality and duration) is too uncertain to be responsible for another baby (a puppy.) HOWEVER, I fully intend to continue having dogs. The shelters are absolutely packed with senior animals in need of a home. In recently adopting, we came across the most gentle, quiet min pin. She was too quiet for us now, but that's precisely the dog I will rescue when I'm 60+. I look forward to it actually.

I think it's less about age than it is about ability to love and care for the pet properly. I mean, there are plenty of young people who don't meet that criteria, but plenty of older folks that do. I actually love seeing elderly people with pets - it often gives them a reason for getting up in the morning if they're depressed, and helps them feel loved and wanted at a time when they may be lonely. I've even seen it as a reason for someone sick to get better and get home again. Again, as long as they can care for them properly, I don't see it as a problem. Plenty of pets have to be rehomed when their owners die, go to jail, get divorced, move, etc. Not ideal, but it happens.

But an excellent goal with pets is to not have to rehome them at all. That's why rescues and reputable breeders are selective. A disproportionate number of dogs will need to be rehomed if they are placed with 70 year olds than if they are placed with 40 year olds, for example.

Rehoming an older dog is difficult. I volunteer with a dog rescue. About 70% of our potential adopters come in looking for a puppy. We place puppies almost immediately and rarely have them more than a few weeks. About 20% come in looking for a dog that's up to about 2-3 years old. After that, it's really an uphill climb to place a dog. And if the dog has bad habits because it's owner wasn't up to the demanding task of training it, it's even worse.

Every older dog we have to keep for months or years in foster care takes a spot that would go to fostering puppies. Every puppy we don't take is very likely to be euthanized because we pull from high kill shelters.

Thank you :thumbsup2

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about finding her a good home than how much I could sell her for.

My first step would be try to locate the closest Weimaraner rescue group.

Here is the rescue contact for the Weimaraner Club of America:

Becky Weimer
(618) 236-1466
weimRSQ@aol.com

It is possible that they could assist her in rehoming the dog.

I agree, in this order

Breeder return
Weimeraner Rescue
No Kill Shelter

:

Yes to all of the above. If the dog was purchased as stated by the OPer I hope it was from a breeder and they will take the dog back. If not, the breed rescue will be very helpful. Please keep us posted! Poor puppy.

So 70 year olds can't get puppies? :rolleyes2

They shouldn't! When the person dies the family is left with a heartbroken senior dog who will probably end up being put sleep! It's such an awful decision to get a puppy at 70! I volunteer in a shelter and see it happen all the time!

But an excellent goal with pets is to not have to rehome them at all. That's why rescues and reputable breeders are selective. A disproportionate number of dogs will need to be rehomed if they are placed with 70 year olds than if they are placed with 40 year olds, for example.

Rehoming an older dog is difficult. I volunteer with a dog rescue. About 70% of our potential adopters come in looking for a puppy. We place puppies almost immediately and rarely have them more than a few weeks. About 20% come in looking for a dog that's up to about 2-3 years old. After that, it's really an uphill climb to place a dog. And if the dog has bad habits because it's owner wasn't up to the demanding task of training it, it's even worse.

Every older dog we have to keep for months or years in foster care takes a spot that would go to fostering puppies. Every puppy we don't take is very likely to be euthanized because we pull from high kill shelters.
Well first, thank you for the work you do.

Second, you're preaching to the choir. :laughing: I fully appreciate why rescues are selective and how difficult it is to place an unwanted pet.

But third, nobody can ever predict when rehoming will be necessary. I follow trends in the dog community myself, and I see just as many, if not more, rehome situations with families and individuals as I do with elderly. (Perhaps there are less because fewer elderly have pets as compared to individuals and families, idk. Do you know if there are any actual statistics on this?) I also see that often, family members of an elderly person will try very hard to care for a beloved pet if there's any possible way they can (although sometimes there might be more than one and it gets difficult, or the pet is old and has medical issues, etc).

I mentioned in my post the term "cared for properly". That, to me, includes things like training and socialization as well as food, shelter and medical care. For everyone who owns a dog. So if an elderly person can't socialize and train a dog, or puppy, properly, than I don't think it's a good fit. I've seen that firsthand, too. But I've also seen it work out.

And while I love dogs and animals in general, as a nurse I also love people - and believe in the power of the health benefits that they can get from interactions with a pet. I think it is as good a reason as any for someone to get a pet. I certainly would not deny it to elderly if it works. Naturally, I'd hope they'd make arrangements for its care if the worst were to happen, but I also would like to see this from everyone. (I have stipulations for my dog with my will, myself. I got my current dog when I was in cancer treatment and I didn't know at that point whether I'd see her through her life myself. Should I not have gotten a dog then? She certainly helped me recover!) I also think it's alway best to match the type of pet to the person's abilities, but that's just common sense. Naturally, not everyone does it this way, regardless of age, and that is part of why we have a pet overpopulation problem in the first place.

They shouldn't! When the person dies the family is left with a heartbroken senior dog who will probably end up being put sleep! It's such an awful decision to get a puppy at 70! I volunteer in a shelter and see it happen all the time!
Sad, undoubtedly. But let me ask you this. If the person who died took care of the dog well and derived benefits from having the dog in his or her lifetime, do you think that was a poor choice on their part? Would you rather see the person without the benefits that their beloved pet no doubt brought?

(Not saying there's a right or wrong answer, but just posing it as a philosophical question. I know it's difficult for those working rescue. It's also difficult seeing elderly sad and alone, though. Oh, and btw, I am not of the "people come before animals" mindset - I just like to see everyone treated well.)

I don't think elderly people should get young pets that they are unlikely to outlive or to be able to care for without a very firm back up plan in place regarding who is willing to take the dog if the elderly person is unable to care for it. And honestly, those plans fall through with some frequency. It's one thing for an adult child to say that he will take Fido if Grandma dies, but when the reality hits, often the adult child isn't so interested.

If one is really such a dog person, why would you want to do that to your dog?

There are places where older people can get a pet-fix. Senior centers sometimes have therapy dogs. We would let an older person foster an older dog, provided they could transport the dog to placement clinics weekly.

Yes, pets are nice and they give comfort, but they aren't disposable. The rescue's job is to look out for the interests of the dog, not to make people happy. Fortunately, those two things often coincide, but not always.

I don't have good statistics about the likelihood of a pet being returned v. the adopters age, no. My rescue won't place a puppy with an older person in most cases. We will place a senior dog.

We do get a lot of people looking for the rescue to take a pet because they are older and cannot care for it or because they have died. It's always heartbreaking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter