• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selling a Disney Trip to my Fiance

The best thing is to find out what she likes on vacation and do those things too. Some she may be able to do at WDW like the spa or water sports. Other things you can do a split stay off site or rent a car.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My future wife is not a huge Disney fan, and I'd like to make going to WDW a regular part of our future family's regular vacation plans. I've been about 2 dozen times, stayed at most of the value or moderate resorts (not luxury travelers) and I really love it, but my fiance has been 3-4 times and likes it, but no where near the level I do. She went when she was really young and then again on a high school trip.

My parents were high school administrators, so when their senior class trip or athletic teams chose to go to Disney or play at the Wide World of Sports, they were chaperons and we'd make a family vacation out of it. How do I "break the ice" so to speak and sell her on the pixie dust of a WDW vacation? What are the highlights or best part of spending a precious vacation time at Disney World instead of a beach or some other destination?

When ever I'm in a conversation with someone who hates WDW. I always have to dig deeper and find out why. Most of the time, the reasons center around crowds. I can understand that. We don't like crowds either. Planning is normally the way to avoid as many crowds as possible, and most people I've found that hate WDW did not plan. Many also say they would rather have a relaxing vacation. Well, if your future wife only wants a relaxing vacation, WDW might not be the place for her. Getting up early and resting in the afternoons is the only way to do WDW, in my opinion. I also recommend to people to go on a Monday and return on Friday, avoid the weekends, and you have a whole weekend to recover when you get back.

:dance3:

Seriously, though, a lot of people work a ton of hours a week on top of a commute, and the kids often do things every day after school, sports, activities, etc. Not saying it's good or bad, but vacation time is really the only time many people have to spend more than a 4 day weekend relaxing.

very true, much of my life was like that but I think my overall message is that a "memory" making vacation can be had ANYWHERE. I can't tell you how many stories my sons (now young adults) tell of fishing trips at the Jersey shore, vacations in NYC where we went to see the Yankees and my son caught a fly ball then got it autographed by derek Jeter, trips to Paris where we took a baking class and learned to make croissants (turned out horrible. ;)) then did 1 day at DLP.

I think we get so fixated on having the "perfect" family vacation or recreating those stupid wdw commercials that we lose sight of the real purpose of a family vacation.
My siblings and I went to DL (I'm a fossil, there was no WDW) when we were young. You know what we talk about? the fun (or horror) of the cross country drive, figting with my parents to please,please please let us listen to motown on the radio. eating out. knocking on 100 hotel room doors with my cousin Donna then getting in trouble because we swore that we had seen a very young Michael Jackson and since I knew I was going to be Mrs. Michael Jackson it was pretty darn important for us to meet. :rotfl:

So those are the memories I want to leave my kids. If they happen at the wdw, that's cool but if they don't hey that's also quite alright.

My dh thought Disney was "ok". He never developed the love affair that I did, he had a good time but even when the kids were small hr could take it or leave it. Once I let go of the need to "convince" him to go and I used all the excuses we preach here (the kids are only little once, the beach is just as expensive) we had better family vacations.

Thanks for all the feedback, I guess we hit on a good topic here. I appreciate everybody's input.

We're doing our pre-cana classes (wedding prep for the non-catholics out there) and have talked about a bunch of relationship/ marriage stuff some people have posted about (compromise, communication, ect). All of that is important. I think I worded it poorly, but I was more looking for young couple Disney vacation advice.

To keep it focused on vacations, we both wanted to go different places for the honeymoon, so we talked about what we wanted to get out of it and what was important to each of us (beach, relaxation, sight seeing, good restaurants) and worked together and made a choice on where to go. No convincing or persuading necessary.

CJJenkins, I'm 30 and she is 28, and live in Lakeview. Any tips for a "young couple"- I'm guess I still qualify as young at 30, but I digress- would be great.

Has anybody gone to a Braves game? We're sports fans, but it doesn't seem like there's any reason to go out to the Wide World of Sports unless your kids are playing in an event.

Thanks.

When ever I'm in a conversation with someone who hates WDW. I always have to dig deeper and find out why. Most of the time, the reasons center around crowds. I can understand that. We don't like crowds either. Planning is normally the way to avoid as many crowds as possible, and most people I've found that hate WDW did not plan. Many also say they would rather have a relaxing vacation. Well, if your future wife only wants a relaxing vacation, WDW might not be the place for her. Getting up early and resting in the afternoons is the only way to do WDW, in my opinion. I also recommend to people to go on a Monday and return on Friday, avoid the weekends, and you have a whole weekend to recover when you get back.

I disagree - We sleep in every day (until 8 or 8:30), and super-duper-sleep-in (until 10ish) on our down day. Regular days we stay in bed until 8:30 or 9 and get to the parks by 10 or 10:30. We don't take breaks back at the hotel - that's what down days are for. We power through lunch, ride while everyone else is eating, then eat after lunch crowds have dissipated. Works well for us and for the time of year we're there.

I think what makes a WDW trip relaxing vs non relaxing is mainly your attitude. "I MUST hit rope drop, I MUST ride this ride, etc" those types of thoughts stress me out, even on vacation. We have a list of attractions we'd like to hit over our trip. If we do them, awesome. If not, we'll be back in a couple of years and try again then. That's the attitude that keeps it relaxing for us. And not having to worry about a thing - everything's already booked and paid for... our only MUST do while on vacation is to live in the moment and enjoy ourselves, no matter how silly it might be. DD and I play fought with swords in the German store at WS. It was a BLAST!

Another aspect of WDW vacations that I love (OP - this might appeal to your fiance?) is that you have the opportunity to experience so many different types of experiences all in one vacation. See many cultures in WS, try many different types of food (WS as well), thrill rides, nature (AK), theatrical, educational...

I like the comments about compromise. That will likely be very important. It may be that she will never love WDW no matter how you plan the trip. However, she might accept the place and go ever so often if you don't force the issue.

My DH isn't a fan. He doesn't like crowds, themepark atmosphere or the often rather blah food at WDW. He did like World Showcase pretty well but never looked at going there as visiting other countries. It simply isn't the same.

DH has gone along occasionally but mostly to spend time with his family and explore things offsite that interests him. He is who he is and not caring for WDW is only a teeny bit of the overall package. I say that because sometimes people have reacted with horror at the very idea of being married to someone who doesn't like WDW. If only that were the worst of my problems. ;)

The only advice I have is the 350 days a year you're home together are more important than the 7 days on vacation :)

That being said, I agree with everyone try to figure out what she likes in a vacation and try to plan it into your schedule. I made the mistake the first time I took my wife (GF at the time). Where I pushed her too hard to get the "big" attractions out of the way. On the 4th morning as we were sprinting to TSM, she finally had a mini meltdown. Luckily that was the last thing we really had to rush for, so the rest of the vacation was great :)

T
CJJenkins, I'm 30 and she is 28, and live in Lakeview. Any tips for a "young couple"- I'm guess I still qualify as young at 30, but I digress- would be great.

LOL we are the same ages. I'm 30 she's 28. She lives in St. Bernard, I live in Hammond. We go every year in August or September. Disney always offers a free dining plan promotion once the kids go back to school to drum up a little more business. We go then because we love having the dining plan. We upgrade to the Plus dining plan so that we can get the sit down dinners. There are SO many great places to eat at Disney! As a Disney vet, I'm sure you know this. Here are some of our favorite places to eat that might not be on everyone's radar.

Cape May Cafe Breakfast - this is our absolute favorite meal on the property. We eat it at least twice every trip. It's a character breakfast, so I don't know if you guys would like that, but we love it. We have done all the character breakfasts, and this one has the best food and the best atmosphere in our opinion.

Le Cellier - definitely have to get a ressie WAY out, but some of the best food on the property.

'Ohana Dinner - fun atmosphere, especially if you don't mind watching the kids have a blast. The food is amazing. And if you plan it right you can eat before or after Wishes, and watch the fireworks from the Poly beach.

Hoop Dee Doo Review - very fun dinner show. We love making this an entire relaxing evening. Park at the Contemporary, take the boat across to Ft. Wilderness. There are little things like checkerboards and horseshoes to pass the time until the dinner starts.

Some activities that we love doing that you guys might also like:

DisneyQuest - if you get the Water Parks Fun and More option, this is one of the things you can use your credits for. We LOVE arcade games. I actually have an arcade machine in my game room. There are SO many things here to do you can spend hours in here and not even realize it.

Mini Golf - we play mini golf at least 2 nights on our trip, usually after a dinner at one of the hotels. It's usually not very busy, and we can take our time and enjoy ourselves.

Jellyrolls or Yee Haw Bob - lots of fun going to a piano bar. They are both open late, and its really more of a lounge atmosphere. There will be kids, but it is more of an adult atmosphere.

Down Town Disney - we always spend a long evening at DTD. Usually eat at T-Rex or Planet Hollywood. There are more stores to browse through than you can do in just an evening so you will definitely stay busy. We like walking around the art stores. We do an early supper, do some shopping (usually just browsing) do desert at Ghirardelli, and when we are done, either head to one of the piano bars or go play mini golf. It's kinda like a date night in the middle of the vacation. Gets you away from the hustle and bustle of the parks but still have lots of fun. This is good to plan for an Animal Kingdom day since the park closes early.

Beaches n Cream - We always go to BnC one evening. We usually walk over to the Beach Club from Epcot and get the Kitchen Sink. It's a huge 4 person sundae with literally every topping they have on it. No way we ever get close to finishing it, but it's always fun trying. They have really good food and its a fun atmosphere (50's icecream parlor)

Hotel Hopping - I know you probably do this already and everyone talks about it, but we set aside a lot of time for it. We eat dinners at so many of the hotels that we usually will go to dinner an hour or so early just to look around. But there is SO much beautiful architecture and themeing to see at Disney that just sitting back and looking around is half the fun. One specific example is Animal Kingdom Lodge. This is one of the most beautiful hotels on the property and totally unique in it's themeing. We like to schedule a dinner at one of the restaurants. I love Boma, but she's not crazy about it. Afterwards, we go look at the animals and use the night-vision goggles if they are still out. It's so neat at night. The animals are all laying down to sleep, but they might be just 5-10 feet from the fences. Everyone outside is quiet and reverent. It's really one of the most peaceful and serene moments of our trip.

Feel free to give me any feedback with things you think we might like. We go on long trips and do a lot, so I just tried to touch on a few of the things that are kinda out of the way and you wouldn't do unless you made it a point to do them. Honestly, Disney as an adult with just the two of you is nothing like she would have ever experienced. There is SO much to do and having total freedom to do what you want and no one to worry about but yourselves is so wonderful. It really is like being a kid again. No one else to worry about and nothing to do but have fun and do whatever strikes you at any given moment!

I could have written the original post, a few years ago.

I married a man who doesn't care about Disney. That didn't dissuade me from marrying him (hard to believe!) and we had a son. Of course I was bound and determined to take my son to Disney, which I did when he turned 4. My husband didn't go with us, my Mom came with us instead.

Then, for a "milestone birthday" I put together a SURPRISE Disney trip for my husband. I planned everything and kept it all a huge secret. The weekend before his birthday, I gave him a big box with Disney Helium baloons and the tickets attached pixiedust: How could he say no? And honestly, he didn't want to say no, he was excited about the prospect of the trip itself.

We went, with our 6 year old son and we had a LOT of fun! He had been to Disney when he was 16. It was a family trip, and they drove from Ohio to Florida with 3 teenage boys and 2 parents. It was NOT a fun trip. His memories were not good ones!

Anyway.... I had rented the cruise for the Epcot fireworks show, we did character meals, etc... it was all great! However, I did not really expect that he would want to go back.

We were home for about 6 months and he started talking about "our next trip to Disney". I was FLOORED! I am thrilled beyond belief that we are planning another trip and that I'm sure there will be more after that! I LOVE Epcot, and so does my son (who is now 8). Turns out my husband does, too!!

I'm looking for some activites for this next time, that will get him hooked even more. I've thought about doing the "driving experience" for him. I'm always open for other ideas, too!

Anyway.. just had to share that sometimes it just "happens". I will help to cultivate this new liking of Disney, but I will do it very subtly so that he doesn't suspect ;) Hopefully my son will love Disney, too!

Sorry for writing a book..

Dee

I think Mexico is romantic (the one inside, not the new one) when I go with just my husband. It's crowded, but we love it! And it's NOT $135!!!
Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter