sell or rent extra points???

goofy4dvc

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
After four purchases of points, we were finally at a point where we had an adequate number for our vacations. Then...we purchased a townhome in Champions Gate (less than 10 minutes from WDW). We live out of state and use our Florida home for vacations and plan to fly south for the winter months. Now, DH wants to sell all or at least most of our points. We have stayed at the townhouse three times since we purchased it and haven't been to the parks during this time. But...when we do go to the parks, it just won't be the same not staying on property. Staying in a Disney hotel or villa is a large part of the experience. Plus I want our kids and grandkids to have the experience of staying on property when they visit. My grandaughter (age 19) and I are planning a trip to WDW in December to go to the parks and resorts to see the Christmas lights. We will stay most or all nights in a villa instead of the townhouse.

Anyway, we have ** points. I am okay with selling some of the points **. I want to retain some points to stay in villas on occasion, take a cruise, go to Hawaii or other places that the points will take me.

What should I do? Sell some points or keep the points and rent some out most years? What are points renting for now? Also, if I agree to sell some, is this a good time? I told DH we wouldn't get much out of them in this economy, but all he is thinking about is the monthly dues.

Your thoughts???

I think I might rent them for at least a couple of years. An example of current resale listings can be found at the top of this page. If you could rent enough to cover most or all of your MFs then you would have the rest for your trips and your DH would not be conccerned about the fees. Unless you purchased many years ago you will probably take a big loss. I am in much the same situation since we purchased a winter home on the gulf coast. At least I thought I was until my youngest son decided that Disney trips are great and wanted to go as a graduation trip ( I was able to get him a studio at Jambo for a week) and then DGD said the other day that she thought she would like to stop by on her way from graduate school to home for Thanksgiving and then some days at Disney and US for which her mother would fly in and join us. I know I will need some major pixie dust to get room for that week but we'll give it a try. Am glad I didn't put some of the points up for rent a month ago like I had planned and double glad I didn't sell last year as I had also considered. whatever you decide I hope you have many enjoyable trips.

I certainly wouldn't sell them now with the both the resale market and the economy down. Maybe sell off your smallest contract first and see how that goes, but I'd be keeping at least some of the points.

keep them. rent enough to pay for your fees.

then either use the rest yourself - or bank them and use them next year for a family thing.

of course still trying to move to Florida - then will use the DVC points for times like food/wine, flower/garden, MVMCP, Dec, MNSSHP - on those nights when you don't really want to leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter