Sell me on the iPhone

I know too many people carrying a phone and an ipod

The ipod is small and perfect to take to the gym or for a walk.
The iphone is too large for that purpose. Okay if you are a person who always has a phone. I am not attached to a phone at all times.

In my opinion the single most impressive thing about the iPhone compared to other smart phones is the web browsing, the other phones can't touch the experience of browsing on the iPhone (just needs flash support).

Just download Opera on the BB, far better than the browser that comes with the BB. And Yes, the browsing with Opera, for certain situations, is better than regular browsing.

While it is nice to listen to music and podcast on an iphone, when you battery is dead from listening to music and podcast your iphone turns into an ibrick.

Ok wdwowner, we get it...!

And like someone else said, I was 'anti-iphone' before I got it, now it's just an extension of my hand. The reason battery life doesn't last is due to the fact I never put it down. Still. After nearly a year and a half. Other phoes I've had i've been itching at the 11 month mark for my next one, with the iPhone I'm not. I will even wait til the next generation before I upgrade (see no point going to 3gs) which will be around two years since getting my iPhone, would have been unheard of for me in the past.

I'm certainly no apple fanboy. I own nothing else apple. And don't see myself owning anything else apple. But the iPhone just makes sense :)

:goodvibes

I know too many people carrying a phone and an ipod

Just a note for blackberry users. I know on my storm, (not sure about other blackberrys) you can sync your phone up to itunes with your blackberry, so you have your music right there. (and the podcast). It is very simple it is part of the blackberry software that came with the phone.

I work at a desk. I rarely get up. If I get an email I check it on my iPhone 75% of the time. I check facebook on my iPhone while setting at my desk. Weather, calculator all iPhone. I rarely take my laptop out at home. (If only I could chat on Wednesday night on my iPhone). I also had a Touch before and I would use that for my iPod and quit using my shuffle.

Posted from my iPhone. :goodvibes And I am at home with a computer right next to me.

I'm very similar. I rarely get the computer out for browsing etc. Like you, my laptop is beside me but I'm writing this on my phone :)

:goodvibes

...These are my reasons:

* Started listening to the podcasts for the first time - love podcasts! I can take them anywhere.* APPS...* Games...

You don't need an iPhone to listen to the Podcast. Its just a regular MP3 file. You can use iTunes and drag and drop the Podcast file into your cell phone's music file, provided it can play MP3s. Apps and games for other 3G phones are all over the net. Its a pretty cool phone because it does so many things very well, but there may be some features that not everybody would be interested in.

I have a Blackberry Storm. And now that they have fixed the OS, I love it. All other Blackberrys that I've had I've also loved. I'm not sure what kind of Blackberry you have or would get. They just relesed the OS 5.0 for almost all Blackberrys, except really old ones.

Where did you get the os update? I can't seem to find it for my storm. Ok nevermind I found it.

Up until a month ago I had a BlackBerry Curve. I kept telling myself that my BB does everything I need it to do just fine. I take calls, get voicemail, and email. There is a browser to get flight times, weather, scores, etc... even a GPS application. "I don't need an iPhoneI"

I reminded myself almost daily. ;)

"You know they drop calls", I reminded myself. I knew about reduced ability to pull in weak signals than my Curve and the danger of dropping one and spider webbing the glass face to smithereens...

"I don't NEED an iPhone!"

But after several weeks of telling myself this I decided it wouldn't hurt to get one, just to try out (I rationalized)... "What's the return policy?" I asked...

Once I held MY iPhone (my precious) in my hand, the only way it was going back is if I had no signal what-so-ever at home/work and they pried it out of my hands. The screen... gorgeous (especially next to my lint-bunny-behind-the-glass Curve)! Now I can show off pictures of my kids/last Disney vacation or actually read maps and web pages. Multi-touch... sooo much more useful and slick than I had imagined. Visual voicemail... I had heard people talk about it, but having a Tivo-like ability to rewind and replay portions of a V-mail as needed? Get outta here!

But it is really the apps that make the phone for me. I had a GPS app on the BB... the joke being that you could drive past the turn before you ever got the directions. With the iPhone, I can pull up directions almost before you can say "pull-up-the-app-and-get-the-directions". Even simple things like weather and flight times are quickly accessed with a single click - telling me what I need to know long before I would have even loaded the browser on my BB. The icing on the cake is all the other FUN applications.

Is it perfect? No. I drop calls with weak signals (slightly worse than my Curve). Email "fetch" is not as fast as BB's push email... Would I go back to my BB Curve??? No way!

We had an iTouch for a few months and sold it on ebay. The screen seemed to small for web browsing and the gadget to large to carry when used to a smaller iPod.

I'd like to hear from people with "old eyes" and "bad eyes". (Kevin?) How is the small screen for doing what you need to do?

Now I can show off pictures of my kids/last Disney vacation or actually read maps and web pages. Multi-touch... sooo much more useful and slick than I had imagined. Visual voicemail... I had heard people talk about it, but having a Tivo-like ability to rewind and replay portions of a V-mail as needed? Get outta here!

Oh yea, that reminds me. I make slideshows of my pictures on my computer and can play them on my iPhone. Like vacation pictures or whatever I want with transitions, music, etc. People can't believe it when they watch them. Granted I do have a Mac that I make these videos on so I'm not sure how that would transfer from a regular PC but I think as long as it is a MP4 file it will work. You'd have to ask at the Apple store.

Ditto on the visual voicemail again!!!

We had an iTouch for a few months and sold it on ebay. The screen seemed to small for web browsing and the gadget to large to carry when used to a smaller iPod.

I'd like to hear from people with "old eyes" and "bad eyes". (Kevin?) How is the small screen for doing what you need to do?

My ipod and iphone are roughly the same size.

My ipod is the Classic model.

My iPhone was my life line after my eye surgery.

I had to lay face down for a week. I loaded movies into my phone and laid on the bed. I think I watched 10 or 12 movies over the course of 7 days. My iphone lept me sane during the horrible weeks following both eye surgeries. I think eye DRs should reccommend that to patients.

I frequently check the boards and such from my iPhone. Many of the posts I make are done that way.

Turning the iPhone to the "landscape" position allows to have a wider screen There is also the feature where you can increase the size of what you are looking at by seperating your fingers while touching the screen. Now I know there is a name for that, but cant think of it. I guess you could describe it as as the opposite of a pinch.

I dont go anywhere without my iPhone.

As I've said before....it's my phone, my address book, my calendar, my handheld video game, my voice recorder, my "emergency" camera, my alarm clock, my radio (Pandora app), my travel internet, my source of news, my source of weather, my travel Kindle (which it syncs with all by itself which just amazes me), my email....you get the idea.

I too love the viual voice mail.

I have used my phone all day and never had the battery expire.

My biggest issue with my iphone is that it's easy to make a call without knowing that you are doing it. Because it's all touch screen....it's easy to call unsuspecting people. :)

Assuming I do get convinced, is it worth the extra $ for the 3GS?

That is a hard question to answer, it a personal decision.
I just recently changed to Rogers from Bell.
I did this to get cell reception out of our cottage.
However since I was going to Rogers, I wanted an iphone.
I bought the 32g 3gs I figured since I was getting one I might as well get the biggest, and newest one going, since there will be a new one out in a year.
That way mine would not be too outdated.
I however can't comment on you first post, as I never had a blackberry.
The phone I had before was just a regular cell phone.

Sorry to say that the Blackberry is old school as far as I am concerned. I have one but very rarely use it now that I have an iPhone. The iPhone has allowed me to be much more productive that the BB.

Phone coverage for me has been much much better with the iPhone than the Blackberry.

I don't think I am any more cool than the next person because I have an iPhone. But I know a lot of people that are jealous because I own one!

I agree with Kathy!
You must also keep in mind that being in Canada, we do not have the problems with the dropped calls that others have mentioned.
Like I said I went to Rogers to be able to get calls in areas where other companies could not get me service from.

DH and I both have iPhones. We live in a somewhat limited coverage area, 3G is not even available in our town. DH travels the country and a bit of Canada. Neither of us has experienced dropped call problems.

Att has unlimited messaging for a family plan for $30 a month or iPhone unlimited messaging for $20.

Will the family plan unlimited messaging work with the iPhone or do you have to have the iPhone message plan????

TIA

Why how about someone trying to convince you NOT to buy one? Don't, don't do it. It's a horrible phone. Far too many applications available for it. Far to easy to browse the web all day on it. Far too easy to check everything from e-mail to the weather, and to navigate your way home if you are lost.

It's a terrible device. Seriously, if you have to think for even a second about it, don't do it. Stick with whatever phone and service you already have, and save the 3G bandwith for the rest of us addicts. ;)

And the number one issue with iphones: 30% of all calls are dropped. This has been confirmed with Apple. This is not an ATT issue.

These are just the facts you have to take into account when deciding on a smart phone.

I can't say I never have dropped calls, but I don't have close to a 30% drop rate.

Do you have a link for this information? I would be interested to see why they are dropping?

You don't need an iPhone to listen to the Podcast. Its just a regular MP3 file. You can use iTunes and drag and drop the Podcast file into your cell phone's music file, provided it can play MP3s. Apps and games for other 3G phones are all over the net. Its a pretty cool phone because it does so many things very well, but there may be some features that not everybody would be interested in.

I am aware of this. :thumbsup2

But when I purchased my iPhone, I did not listen to podcasts at all. I didn't have an iPod and just had not really discovered them.

Once I had the iPhone, I discovered how easy it was to download and subscribe to podcasts. So, personally, having an iPhone actually contributed to my discovery of podcasts.

Now that I can take them with me walking, I almost always have one playing (or music).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter