Sell me on the iPhone

timmac

DIS Veteran
Okay, so long story short, I'm changing jobs, and as a result, I will no longer have a company-provided cell phone. So, I need to get a phone, get my number ported over, etc. I'm currently a crackberry user, and love it.

I'm thinking though, this might be the time to get an iPhone. But I'm not sure. I'm trying to mentally justify the switch, if such a case can be made. I love my blackberry, no doubt about it. I don't want to just start using the iPhone because it's trendy (that might be underselling it a bit, but I couldn't think of a better word), but I do like the fact that every app under the sun seems to be built for it.

So... if you feel it's the right time to make the move... convince me...

Thanks!

You need to talk to Nikkibell.

I spent all my "iphone convincing skills" on her.;);)

Nikki....come convince tinmac to get an iPhone

My 2 favorite things about the iPhone are the texting and the visual voicemail.

I hope you know someone who has an iPhone or can go to an Apple store so they can show you how easy these are to use.

Texting: your conversations with each person you talk to are shown. Instead of looking at an individual text you see the 'back and forth' between you and your contact.

Visual voicemail: your voicemail are listed on the screen and you can touch whichever one you want to hear, pause, replay, delete, call this person. Instead of listening through all your messages, you can pick and choose what you want to do.

I have never used a Blackberry to know how this compares.

3GS has a video camera. I would buy it just for that feature. I think they have other upgrades, too.

I LOVE my iPhone. I would replace it today if I had to. Even at $400 or whatever it is.

These are my reasons:

* Started listening to the podcasts for the first time - love podcasts! I can take them anywhere.

* APPS - There is an app for everything - off the top of my head: AP wire, WW Online App, Google, Weather bug (radar has been useful in several circumstances and is two taps away at any time), Facebook.

* Internet access. You have this on the blackberry, probably...but I love that I can "save" webpages on my home screen. So with one tap I can get to the DIS - but specifically to my UserCP or even a specific thread. I think I have 5 "DIS" buttons on my iPhone taking me to various places on the DIS. With one tap on my phone. I also save blogs on there...so with one tap I can keep up with my friends, etc.

* Games - lots of free games to keep me occupied any time I am stuck somewhere waiting. Works great in lines, even in Soarin' when you have no 3G or cell coverage.

* LIVE365 - I love this app and have enjoyed listening to my favorite music from the car or anywhere! You can access DIS Radio.

And I am sure Nikki has some more reasons.

I would suggest you go to an Apple store and play around with one for a bit and see if you like it.

iPhone not-positive-points:

You cannot swap batteries, must have Apple do this.

Battery life not so good with wifi.

Proprietary cable, software and file types.

Must use itunes store to do anything. How comfortable are you to have only one provider pipe for any product downloads?

itunes has the ultimate decision on apps they let users use, not an open environment at all.

No flash on camera.

And the number one issue with iphones: 30% of all calls are dropped. This has been confirmed with Apple. This is not an ATT issue.

These are just the facts you have to take into account when deciding on a smart phone.

Another thing I love is being able to move my app icons around to different pages and keep them organized. Like I put all the games together on a separate page from, say all my travel related apps.

I have a Blackberry Storm. And now that they have fixed the OS, I love it. All other Blackberrys that I've had I've also loved. I'm not sure what kind of Blackberry you have or would get. They just relesed the OS 5.0 for almost all Blackberrys, except really old ones. My storm does everyone one of the points made in the previous posts. Most could be done before the new 5.0 OS, like video, gps, internet (including saving sites to homescreem), video, visual voicemail, etc. While there are not as many apps as the Iphone, I have not seen a useful app that the Iphone has and my Blackberry doesn't. A ton of theirs are useless things like a lightsabe on your screen or a farting app, I'm ok without these. The threaded texting is very nice and I am very glad that RIM put that in their newest OS. Also all of the bad points about the Iphone showed by wdwowner are not an issue with Blackberry. I have several friends with Iphones and have used them a lot. The only two advantages to a Iphone is the internet browsing and the "trendyness" as you put it. The browser for the Iphone is nicer, but the Blackberrys browser is still good. As to the second advantage, there are a lot of people with Iphones that think they are the coolest, because they have the coolest phone, and all other phones are crap. This is not true. If you love you're Blackberry, stick with it. Coming from a proven business power phone you'll be sorely disappointed with a trendy Iphone.

Sorry to say that the Blackberry is old school as far as I am concerned. I have one but very rarely use it now that I have an iPhone. The iPhone has allowed me to be much more productive that the BB.

Phone coverage for me has been much much better with the iPhone than the Blackberry.

I don't think I am any more cool than the next person because I have an iPhone. But I know a lot of people that are jealous because I own one!

How old is your blackberry? They have mad emany new ones recently. Also I wasn't saying everyone who has an Iphone feels that way, but a lot do. This sentiment is probably way more prevelant in my age group, 18-30. Where I am, AT+T has much less coverage than Verizon does, so coverage is the opposite here. But that would be dependn't on you knowing the coverage around where you travel.

To me, an owner of a blackberry, the main thing that made me stay away from the Iphone is that I know too many people that carry an Iphone and an additional phone. (I think John might have actually mentioned this before)

To me having to carry one phone is enough, let alone having to carry two of them. Maybe it's just the small sampling of people I know, but I know too many people who carry two phones because of the Iphones dropping of calls/coverage etc.

Maybe try to talk to Iphone owners in you area and see what their experiences are like with coverage and dropped calls. To me that would be the deal breaker.

I have a Blackberry Storm. And now that they have fixed the OS, I love it. All other Blackberrys that I've had I've also loved. I'm not sure what kind of Blackberry you have or would get. They just relesed the OS 5.0 for almost all Blackberrys, except really old ones. My storm does everyone one of the points made in the previous posts. Most could be done before the new 5.0 OS, like video, gps, internet (including saving sites to homescreem), video, visual voicemail, etc. While there are not as many apps as the Iphone, I have not seen a useful app that the Iphone has and my Blackberry doesn't. A ton of theirs are useless things like a lightsabe on your screen or a farting app, I'm ok without these. The threaded texting is very nice and I am very glad that RIM put that in their newest OS. Also all of the bad points about the Iphone showed by wdwowner are not an issue with Blackberry. I have several friends with Iphones and have used them a lot. The only two advantages to a Iphone is the internet browsing and the "trendyness" as you put it. The browser for the Iphone is nicer, but the Blackberrys browser is still good. As to the second advantage, there are a lot of people with Iphones that think they are the coolest, because they have the coolest phone, and all other phones are crap. This is not true. If you love you're Blackberry, stick with it. Coming from a proven business power phone you'll be sorely disappointed with a trendy Iphone.

I heard they are coming out with the Storm 2 this week. I am able to upgrade my phone next month and will finally be able to get a blackberry (we are not leaving Verizon, so no option of an iPhone) Have you heard anything about the Storm 2? I like the fact of the large screen - I'm going to use it purely for pleasure, not business.

I have no personel experiance, but everything I am reading online is that the Storm 2 is even better than Storm 1, and I plan on getting one as soon as I can.

To me, an owner of a blackberry, the main thing that made me stay away from the Iphone is that I know too many people that carry an Iphone and an additional phone. (I think John might have actually mentioned this before)

To me having to carry one phone is enough, let alone having to carry two of them. Maybe it's just the small sampling of people I know, but I know too many people who carry two phones because of the Iphones dropping of calls/coverage etc.

Maybe try to talk to Iphone owners in you area and see what their experiences are like with coverage and dropped calls. To me that would be the deal breaker.

John has an issue with that particular phone, not the iPhone in general

We live and work together and I have none of the issues he's having. His biggest issue is that he plays a particular game which has a loud, obnoxious soundtrack so he turns the speaker off and then blames the phone when he misses a call.;)

I know too many people carrying a phone and an ipod

I have no personel experiance, but everything I am reading online is that the Storm 2 is even better than Storm 1, and I plan on getting one as soon as I can.

I heard it was better as well, I am looking forward to getting it.

I am a new iphone user and so far I am really enjoying the phone. I live in Western PA were Verizon has a strong hold and better coverage. I don't know anyone who cares an iphone and another phone. One of the main reason I converted to the iphone from verizon was I was sick of carrying my Touch and my cell phone with me everywhere. I would never buy an additional battery for my phone even if one was offered. I have used my phone all day and not had a problem with battery life. I almost drained the battery the whole way the other day by the time I got home from work and I got about a 75% charge in 20 minutes. I also leave my WiFi on all day at work.

I also love the Visual Voicemail (I didn't know what that was called) and the texting on the iphone. I would also buy the 3GS for the video capabilites. Of course, I have a 5 year old and I often do not have my camera with me. I find the email on the iphone every easy to use and really like the safari webbrowser.

Are you considering getting a non-Blackberry/iphone? In my mind, if I was going to get a smartphone it was going to be an iphone. I would consider getting a cheaper phone with cheaper coverage if I didn't need the added capabilites of the blackberry/iphone type of phone.

John has an issue with that particular phone, not the iPhone in general

We live and work together and I have none of the issues he's having. His biggest issue is that he plays a particular game which has a loud, obnoxious soundtrack so he turns the speaker off and then blames the phone when he misses a call.;)

I know too many people carrying a phone and an ipod

LOL....well thats a horse of a different color then.

I see the Ipod-phone point. But I don't carry my Ipod everywhere so I luckily don't fall into that category. Generally I like to carry as little as possible!

Proprietary cable, software and file types.

The earphone jack is standard and I upload mp3 files all of the time?? The charging/docking cable is proprietary and comes with it.

Must use itunes store to do anything. How comfortable are you to have only one provider pipe for any product downloads?
Again I have uploaded my own mp3 files??

And the number one issue with iphones: 30% of all calls are dropped. This has been confirmed with Apple. This is not an ATT issue.

I have never had 1 drop call since getting my 3Gs this past summer.

The other points are valid.

In my opinion the single most impressive thing about the iPhone compared to other smart phones is the web browsing, the other phones can't touch the experience of browsing on the iPhone (just needs flash support).

PS: Up until I got my 3Gs I was as anti-iPhone as wdwowner is.

iPhone is just about to arrive on our shores - finally...

so a question to you iphone/blackberry people..

i've been trying to convince DH to get a new phone, either a blackberry or iphone - one that he can use for work...but i don't know which would be better for him...(right now he only uses his cellphone for phone calls)

These are his needs:
1) very heavy email use (including attachments)
2) access to his websites for updating on the fly
3) web searches
4) phone (how mundane)
5) i'm sure there's other stuff, but that's what comes to mind

Based on the above needs, what would you recommend? Blackberry or iphone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter