Sell me on the idea of Christmas at Disney!

Leigha

DIS Veteran
We have a trip planned at fall break in early October but now that they've extended the dining plan, my family of DH, DD20 and DD16 thinks it would be a great time to go at Christmas. We would have to shave our trip down to about 6 nights to be home by Christmas Eve. We're used to warm/hot and swimming. I don't know about an average of 72 degrees for a high. Any thoughts?

Welllll, you run the risk of it being cold in December...too cold to swim, but it does make for a more pleasant park experience.

If you're going that week leading up to Christmas, it could also be more crowded than your Oct trip...but the fall breaks schools give these days have made those Oct weeks more crowded too.

Disney at Christmas is special, though. The extra things you can do because it is Christmas may just swing the vote in that favor. There's enough extra things to do, you may not want to take the time to go swimming or do the water parks, and that might save you some money.

We've been several times to the World but usually only over the summer. We're booked for the week after Thanksgiving at SSR. We are all sooooo looking forward to enjoying the Christmas decorations at WDW and enjoying the parks when the heat is not oppresive (last trip was in August). Bonus for us that from what i have read, except for the weekend right after thanksgiving, that following week is pretty slow, so low crowds as well.. :banana::banana:

We are going at Christmas because even though it will be cooler with the heated pools I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to swim. Heck, we live two hours north of disney and we have a family tradition of jumping in our non-heated pool every Christmas Eve! :thumbsup2

I was more worried about doing the parks in the heat, keeping sunscreen on the kids, and keeping everyone hydrated. Hopefully the weather will be cool enough that I won't have to worry about my Grey Goose slushie knocking me flat. ;)

I just can't wait to see the decorations and be around Disney nuts who are filled with the Christmas spirit. Sounds like a winning vacation to me!

You all make good points. Part of it would be I guess I'm just scared to take the plunge! Also, can I get ALL my shopping done & wrapped & be ready to go as soon as we got home?? I suppose we could get a lot of shopping done there that would do double duty as souveniers/Christmas gifts! :) I do like to try new things...

We're going the first week of Dec., and it will be our first Christmas trip. I can't wait to see the decorations, go to the Christmas party, see the different Santas in Epcot. I'm like a big kid, I get so excited over Disney and Christmas. I think as the time gets closer that I'm just going to explode with anticipation. Hope you have a great trip.

We are coming up on our 10 years of WDW Christmas trip.

Our first was Dec. 14-19, 2000. We've been back at Christmas every even-numbered year. My son was 7 on our first trip. (He'll be a senior and leaving home on this next one.)

Christmas at WDW is magical. There is Christmas music playing everywhere, decorations, parades. . . The Christmas spirit is everywhere (except maybe in the strangers you'll overhear complaining that they don't have the parks entirely to themselves) and the weather is very nice. We've had colder trips where we needed coats and those where jeans and t-shirts were good all week long. We've been in the pools every trip but one.

Plan to have your home Christmas stuff in order before the trip, and when you get back shove the trip laundry out of sight and have a second Christmas ;)

Christmas is a beautiful time at WDW. We were there from Dec. 18-23 last year and it was very crowded, but not as bad as the Dec 21-28 trip the year before. Our weather last year was chilly. A couple of nights were actually cold, winter coats type cold. It is still definitely worth seeing during the holidays. We used EMH, fastpasses, and park hopper tickets to our advantage to escape the crowds. You will want to have everything for Christmas done as you were saying, it adds a little pressure but it was worth it!

I read a discussion similar to this on another board not long ago. The main consensus of that thread was that if you've never gone at Christmas it's worth trying Christmas at least once (a lot of people really like it and go ever year). I don't think you'll have an "un-magical" vacation at Christmas even if the weather's a little cooler; there's other Christmas-related things to do that you would never have the chance to see otherwise (I don't think anyone has mentioned the Osburne lights yet... they are at DHS and are pretty awesome!). You might get back and decide that in the future you prefer to go when it's warmer and you can swim, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with having gone around Christmas. It's a special time of year, and a fun time to be at WDW!

Not sure which week you are looking at, but Dec can be quite pleasant. We have experienced cool morning and swimming weather by afternoon and cooler in the evening, to cold and raining. Go prepared for both types of weather or you will have a nice new Disney wardrobe.

The atmosphere makes you all warm and cozy and ready for Christmas. We will be there over Christmas again this year and right now my only hope is for no rain, cold I can deal with, rain is not so easy. The crowds weren't really bad until Dec 26. I have seen pictures with larger crowds than we experienced last year.

Suzanne

We went last December for 5 nights at about that same time. We checked out the day befoe Christmas eve. I guess I will be the one to say stick with October. Othe than our arrival day, the parks were very busy. I've been at spring break, around Easter, may/June, and October. I thought that week before Christmas was far busier than any if these times. Also I was looking forward to the decorations and they just didn't live up to the expectations, except for the Osborne family lights. I think you will enjoy October much more.

While we totally enjoy being at dinsey around Christmas time I do admit that it can be very difficult for us to get our Christmas shopping done, as well as plan a big trip at the same time. We have 2 boys and We are planning on going again this year in December BUT it will be part of their Christmas because we cant afford to splurge on both. Other than that it is GREAT to see the parks/resorts all decorated.

BTW I went in Octobert a few times and it is just as pleasent IMO- I liked the fall decorations as well. :)

The Christmas season at Disney is my absolute favorite time to go. There is nothing like it. As a PP said, it is definitely worth trying once. I think you will be hooked. I usually go the day after Black Friday, and the last night of the MVMCP's. Right after Thanksgiving guarantees all of the Christmas activities at WDW are in full swing. I also like the day after the MVMCP's end because I love the Once Upon A Christmastime Parade in the daytime. It is by far my all-time favorite parade.:woohoo: Plus, all the decorations at the resorts, CP at Epcot, the goodies, Gingerbread House at GF, and the Osborne Lights. The list just goes on, and I am getting excited thinking about it. :dance3:

Also, the weather can be quite cold or really warm. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get at that time of year. The only time I try to avoid is Pop Warner week, and December 23 on. It gets really crowded after the 23rd. Go for it. You will be so glad you did.:cheer2:

Thanks for all the responses! I'm still on the fence but thinking about jumping over it! :)

We are going this year for Christmas for 9 nights! We are expecting huge crowds and will deal with it. As far as the weather, we are from Canada so we will be leaving the snow so I am sure the heated pools will be nice for us!
We are looking forward to the decorations, the Christmas music and the parades. We were there in September and October and it was sooooo hot...the cooler weather will be nicer.

It is a challenge to get everything done before you go but it provides motivation. I made our kids aware that we were scaling back on Christmas gifts because going to Disney was going to be our family gift. I also ended up pushing one of our extended family celebrations back to the week between Christmas and New Years and we found we liked that even better. Perhaps the other thing we did because we were gone until right before Christmas Eve and I still host a Christmas day dinner was we changed the menu and made it easier. No more traditional turkey and all the fixings. We opted instead for a mostly catered tamale dinner and I found I got to actually enjoy the day instead of living in the kitchen. We liked it so much that we made it our new tradition. (We are in Texas so tamales are a traditional holiday treat but the key word is CATERED)

And Christmas at Disney is amazing. The decorations are stunning. I got the same lump in my throat and tear in my eye at the Candlelight Processional that I normally get at Christmas Eve service. It was special too to have my son, 13 at the time, notice and take my hand while the beatuiful notes of Angels We Have Heard on High rang in the air.

And the Osborne Spectacle of Lights! Wandering through that with a cup of cocoa in hand whle Disney Magic makes it snow is amazing. If that can't make you feel festive perhaps your heart is two sizes too small. We arrived Dec 17 and stayed til the 21. It was just long enough to leave us wanting to come again. We didn't swim although there were many days that were shorts worthy. We did however make good use of the hot tub and that was delighful.

Seeing each of the trees at the parks decorated to match the theme of the park and the resort trees and the life sized gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian and the carousel at the Beach Club. It's just beautiful. I may not do it every year. I waited until my kids were older because I did want the holidays at home when they were quite small but it gave us a new version of magic that holiday season and we remember it fondly. No regrets whatsoever for what we may have missed at home. Afterall, we were with our family and making memories. Isn't that a big part of the holiday?

I'm going Dec. 8-11 to experience Disney during the Holidays! I think everyone should try it once...I'm sure it will be a completely different experience than going during the summer. I'm hoping for low-moderate crowds, but who knows.

I went in Jan. 09 and the nation was experience a cold front, so Orlando was down to 40 degrees at night and in the morning. So, prepare for cold and warm weather if you choose December!

We went to Disney the first week of December in 2008 and loved it enough to go back again last year. One of my favorite things is the Castle lights!! I told my DH that I didn't think I wanted to go back again without seeing the lights on the castle!! I was trying to describe it to someone (who has been to Disney before) and couldn't come up with the words, but she did--"It is just so Magical!" :goodvibes

Also have to add in the Osborne Lights and MVMCP as things that make Christmas at Disney so fun. We are planning to go back in November and it looks like all these things will be going on then too, and I am so glad we won't miss any of them!!!

We have a trip planned at fall break in early October but now that they've extended the dining plan, my family of DH, DD20 and DD16 thinks it would be a great time to go at Christmas. We would have to shave our trip down to about 6 nights to be home by Christmas Eve. We're used to warm/hot and swimming. I don't know about an average of 72 degrees for a high. Any thoughts?

To many people (wall to wall). I would not go during Christmas.

Thanks for ALL the great replies! I believe we've made the decision to go for it! I made my dining reservations and was able to get all I wanted so far but one - Cinderella's - and I can't get that until I make the final commitment which is the room reservation! :) There are some tradeoffs but we think it will be worth it! We feel like it is something we will want to do sometime in our lives with our girls and if not now, when?! You just can't beat free dining. It will probably be the only time we ever go at Christmas so, yes we're going to try and get it all in while stopping to smell the gingerbread along the way! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter