Sell me on idea of Disney with no kids

My husband and I are 41 and 36 and no kids (though it's still a possibility) and we just adore going to Disney (both the World and the Cruiseline) together. We've gone just the two of us, and we've gone with another couple who does have kids.
Going with the other couple was nice because it made for a very flexible vacation for both of us. We could split up or do things together, and we took the kids for a couple of hours so that they could go enjoy the rides that they don't usually get to ride. When we're on the cruises, there's the great kids clubs/babysitting which means we can spend time with our friends without worrying about the kids at all.
We go on a variety of different vacations. Disneyworld is one of our repeat vacations for a number of reasons.
1) We like thrill rides and though we can get those at say Cedar Point, we can't get them with:
2) Amazing customer service. Everywhere we go, the resorts, the restaurants, the shops, the parks, we get nothing but amazing, friendly, and/or invisible customer service.
3) Imagineering. We really enjoy all the thought that went into the creation of the parks, the theme rides, the resorts, etc.
4) Everything planned for us in advance. Most of our other vacations are 'adventure' trips insomuch as we choose a place to go, maybe if we're feeling plannish make reservations at a starting and ending spot, and then fly by the seat of our pants. The Disneyworld vacation is a nice contrast to that. Nothing to worry about, nothing to stress over.
5) Great accommodations. We've had nothing but great stays (twice with our friends in their DVC resort, once we booked Pop Century but then got upgraded to the Contemporary). Always clean, comfortable, convenient.
6) Fun and whimsy. We always act like kids when we're at home, but you know.. people stare at the mall if you hold hands and skip or burst into song. Not so much at Disney.
7) Getting to smile and walk on past and do our own thing when we see kids melting down. (Okay, it's not why we go, but it's sometimes a guilty pleasure)

You would have to sell me on going to Disney with kids! My very first trip to WDW we walked down Main Street and there was a little performace in front of the castle. There was a husband and wife and a 3 year old boy who was screaming at the top of his lungs. Mom says to dad "why did we ever want to do this!"

Don't get me wrong, I love the one day I spend at WDW with my nephew and seeing some of the cute and funny moments of the families I see. Beyond that, I don't want to deal with the crying, whining, the strollers, the sticky fingers, waiting in line for annoying characters and early bedtimes. I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it!

there was a time when I felt like you did. Until I took two trips to WDW in the same year. Trip #1 with college friends - no kids no hubbies. During that entire trip I kept missing my kids & wishing they were there to enjoy it all with me. I fantasized about this magical family togetherness so much that I planned trip #2 six months later with my 2 teens, my husband, my brother & his daughter & my mother. NEVER AGAIN. that was one of the most stressful trips ( note I did not say vacation...) of my life! trying to coordinate plans with everyone from the youngest ( 13) to the oldest (82)- I gave up halfway through and the the only time we were together was for dinner. The kids had no desire to "hang" with the adults -which I finally agreed was fine. The only thing they REALLY wanted to do was go shopping at the huge mall in Orlando - they were happier there than at the parks! Lesson learned ..... in 2 weeks I leave again for a trip w/ my old college friends - no kids, no hubbies and I'm soooo excited! I can't wait to shop in Epcot & visit all the countries ( not to mention F&W) , have leisurely dinners, relax & read at the pool. no whining, no moaning & groaning... heaven...

My DH and I are thinking about getting away next month. We're first time empty-nesters and came to WDW often with our kids. I can't decide between Atlantis in the Bahamas or WDW. What kind of ticket to the parks do you get if you are mostly staying in and around the hotels? I don't think you would need a park hopper.

My DH and I are thinking about getting away next month. We're first time empty-nesters and came to WDW often with our kids. I can't decide between Atlantis in the Bahamas or WDW. What kind of ticket to the parks do you get if you are mostly staying in and around the hotels? I don't think you would need a park hopper.

My parents rent a large house/villa for about two weeks and my brothers and I trickle in during that time. We all do our own thing. My boyfriend and I like to hang around the pool and go shopping in the morning and we arrive at the parks just before the parades. All the rides seem to be deserted around that time and after the parade it seems like a lot of folks go back to their hotels for naps and it doesn't seem as busy. After the 3rd day the per day price drops significantly! We just buy a 4 day ticket and add extra days if we need to (it's about $3 to add a day).

I highly recommend renting a home/villa. You have privacy and many have private pools. You can be on the go when you want and relax in privacy when you need it. You can easily find a nice home for under $100/day as long as you're staying for a week.

My adult self and my adult sister & my adult brother all LOVE Disney, especially when we can all go together. Land, World, all of it. We love the rides, the theme, the shows, the everything. None of us has kids and we have no qualms about doing Disney sans-children. Even managed to squeeze in a short Disneyland Paris visit between a Tuscan wine tour & a week in France last spring. It was wonderful. The Europeans, I'll admit, did look at us a little sideways for being at DLP with no kids -- but we've never felt out of place at DL in California or WDW. Americans seem to be more understanding of grownups @ Disney w/out kids, for whatever reason.

It's just fun. F.U.N. When we think, "man, we need a vacation! Where should we go?" the answer is frequently, "let's do something Disney!"

There are kids at Disney?

Kidding, kidding - but seriously, what delights you in the rest of your life? Travel, design, architecture, maybe just witnessing a job done right and on time? I find Disney full of great examples of almost everything that brings me pleasure in life.

A Disney visit for me is like a graduate level course in management, color theory, marketing, architecture, comparative demographics - all attended in Crocs with a beer in my hand.

After a week full of AWOL carpenters, sloppy roofers, indifferent suppliers and inept officials, Disney renews my faith that things can be done right somewhere in the world.

A night of local theatre can be pretty lackluster, and a weekend on Broadway or Vegas puts a real dent in the play money fund - but Disney has great musical and stunt shows you just walk in to. Bumping into the street performers riffing on the crowd is a blast.

If you're a fan of details, spend an hour on Mainstreet USA reading the incredible gilded upstairs windows. Besides the world class sign art, there are clues there to a lot of history. The more you know, the more you want to know.

Last but not least, engage in a little guilty schadenfreude by watching the families with kids going through the inevitable movable torture sessions. You'll count your blessings that you can go where you want to, when you want to, how you want to at an adult pace. Normally I'm by myself, but never feel lonely or out of place.

Granted, I live three hours away and have an annual pass, so there's no hurry or agenda. I don't watch sports and stay away from politics, so maybe I have more space available for play on the big hard drive between my ears. Your results may vary depending on your ingrained pleasure sensors. Last visit I saw a MoTown show, took in some knocked out belly dancing, figured out how to build a cool gazebo, did a little flirting with some bachelorette parties, watched a lowlands gorilla turn berzerker and drank six kinds of beer.

Point is, everybody has a dream and an outlook on life. Viewing them through the Disney filter has saved me a whole lot of therapy. Good luck with your visits. Give yourself a break and enjoy!

There are kids at Disney?

Kidding, kidding - but seriously, what delights you in the rest of your life? Travel, design, architecture, maybe just witnessing a job done right and on time? I find Disney full of great examples of almost everything that brings me pleasure in life.

A Disney visit for me is like a graduate level course in management, color theory, marketing, architecture, comparative demographics - all attended in Crocs with a beer in my hand.

After a week full of AWOL carpenters, sloppy roofers, indifferent suppliers and inept officials, Disney renews my faith that things can be done right somewhere in the world.

A night of local theatre can be pretty lackluster, and a weekend on Broadway or Vegas puts a real dent in the play money fund - but Disney has great musical and stunt shows you just walk in to. Bumping into the street performers riffing on the crowd is a blast.

If you're a fan of details, spend an hour on Mainstreet USA reading the incredible gilded upstairs windows. Besides the world class sign art, there are clues there to a lot of history. The more you know, the more you want to know.

Last but not least, engage in a little guilty schadenfreude by watching the families with kids going through the inevitable movable torture sessions. You'll count your blessings that you can go where you want to, when you want to, how you want to at an adult pace. Normally I'm by myself, but never feel lonely or out of place.

Granted, I live three hours away and have an annual pass, so there's no hurry or agenda. I don't watch sports and stay away from politics, so maybe I have more space available for play on the big hard drive between my ears. Your results may vary depending on your ingrained pleasure sensors. Last visit I saw a MoTown show, took in some knocked out belly dancing, figured out how to build a cool gazebo, did a little flirting with some bachelorette parties, watched a lowlands gorilla turn berzerker and drank six kinds of beer.

Point is, everybody has a dream and an outlook on life. Viewing them through the Disney filter has saved me a whole lot of therapy. Good luck with your visits. Give yourself a break and enjoy!

:rotfl2: OMG this is the best plug for Disney-without-kids EVER!!! I love your outlook!

That being said, a PP mentioned waiting until the OP's kids were teenagers and then she'd get a real taste of wanting WDW w/o them!.....Mine aren't teens yet and I'm already there!!:rotfl: Don't get me wrong, I love 'em and love going to Disney with them. But!....this last trip was the one that made me realize I need a solo trip (before they move out!). The whiny disagreements seemed incessant (we're out of the toddler meltdown stage but Florida heat in September can break anyone...).

I guess if you only do Disney World "for" your kids, you just might not enjoy it all by yourself. Some folks are like that! (what??!!....:scared1:) But I would say TRY it! You just might like it!

I grew up in orlando and I've done more than 20 wdw trips so i've been there from my own childhood, my children's, and now with my granddaughter and yes it's great fun to go with the kids BUT I've taken 3 trips with adult family members (all girl vaca's) and 4 with just my husband. It amazes me how different wdw can seem depending on the group you go with. with the all girl trips we go from park opening to closing (occasionally with a pre-dinner nap), we act silly, wear our tiara's and usually take in the adult sides of wdw...food, night spots, alcohol lol (my husband can't keep up the pace with these types of vacations). when i go with just my husband we approach it like a honeymoon...great food, holding hands, enjoying the resort as well as any of the stuff in the parks that we like (and you get to skip the rides you hate having to do with the little ones). as a matter of fact my sisters and i are going (without kids or husbands) for a reunion the first week of december for 4 days as a christmas gift. i felt guilty the first time we decided to do it until my dad told me he and my step-mom used to sneak away and spend a day at the world without us...sneaky sneaky sneaky they were. either way you can't go wrong with a little pixie dust.

My Dh and I are going to be arriving at the WL 11/28 for 9 days and we are leaving our 20 year old Ds home ot take care of the 4 dogs and ferret. We are looking forward to dinner where you don't have to worry about what everyone else wants, Dh will eat just about anywhere so this time I get to pick:cool1:. We can shop if we want, go to shows when we want, and just relax if we want. We are celebrating 25 years together and we honeymooned in Disney and we can't think of a more enchanting place to be as a couple ( of kids at heart) Disney helps you reconnect to the things that make life worth living and to each other by sharing the wonder. Its time for us.:hug:

Please forgive me, I'm not trying to jump over the OP.
I have been to WDW five times. Once as a solo, then the others were with my family. (Except my husband) My husband has never flown, and definately has no desire to do WDW! He thinks it's like Six Flags. I've tried and tried to get him to understand. Here's the deal, I let my DH buy a tractor. (His life long dream:lovestruc) One stipulation is that he will now have to fly and take a trip with me. I travel all over US with my job and there will be lots oppurtunties for that, but I want to sell him on WDW. I think I may be wearing him down :lmao:
Please give me some helpful tips. Momma wants to take Paw to WDW:hippie:
Thanks for the input.

You are gonna have to show him the romantic side of Disney the wonder of walks on the beach during fireworks, the shows, the food, Carraige rides dolewhips (i love dolewhips), There's golf and tennis and fishing tours. So much more than rides. I'm sure you will be able to put together a trip he will never forget, you just have to think outside of the park box. Good luck:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We're 2 adults who first experienced DW 23 years ago on our honeymoon. It's our special place. Whether we see other sights and enjoy them throught the years, we always go back. I love the parks at nights during EMH or MNSSHP, we're usually one of the last people to leave. I'm sure it's great to see Disney through the eyes of your children for those who have them. But as adults, we feel a special connection to what Disney inspires in us. A sense of happiness, contentment and relaxation. It's the time for a couple to connect, enjoy each other and be happy together.

I hope for those who do have children to continue to go way beyond the time their children become adults and feel that special feeling for themselves. :cloud9:

My DH & I will be celebrating our 25th anniv. next year & going to Disney without our kids. We have been 6 times with them (every year the last 4 years) & I was having a hard time thinking about going without them but after reading this thread I am ready!! My 2 DS's will be 21 & 17 when we go next year so they will be fine but they still enjoy going with us but this will be our anniversary trip & I am very excited!! Looking forward to just taking it more on the slow side & taking it all in & doing what we want to do instead of what they want to do.

We just got back from our first trip without our children. Don't get me wrong I love taking them and we always have fun together, but this was just so special for both of us. We got to eat where we wanted and when we wanted to. We both felt that this trip was restful, we went to the parks when wanted to and then came back for swimming and relaxing. I think it was less stressful because I didn't count heads all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter