Selfie Stick Question!!

Bee3387

Earning My Ears
I know that the selfie stick has been banned from the disney parks, but what about in Down town Disney or at the hotels, are they allowed there? Also I read somewhere that "Extendable camera monopods" are allowed. Whats the difference and where can I get one? Its just me and my boyfriend going so it would be much easier to have one than keep asking people to take pictures of us! Thanks!

:thanks:

They are only banned at the parks.

A Monopod is placed on the ground. A selfie stick is extended from your hand.

Its just me and my boyfriend going so it would be much easier to have one than keep asking people to take pictures of us! Thanks!
I"m not sure if this is still the case, but when I went last year all the official Disney photographers were happy to take pictures with my personal camera. On the other hand there's always PhotoPass, which is an expense but then you'll end up with a number of professional photos of you and your boyfriend.

Its just me and my boyfriend going so it would be much easier to have one than keep asking people to take pictures of us! Thanks!

:thanks:

Most people actually are more than happy to take your picture with your phone / camera. Most will ask if you can return the favor. Don't be shy about asking.

I would leave any selfie sticks at home and use the tips people have said if you do not want to ask a CM to take your picture as a photo pass person to take you picture then you can ask if they can use your camera I find this the easiest for me you do not have to buy the photo. Some of my best photo are from a CM taking my picture

We always buy the Photopass package and leave our cameras at home, it is well worth the money for a hassle free time. So many places to get nice pictures taken and they area always better than my DSLR camera because they have all the lighting gear to take fantastic shots. We always have our smartphones as a back up for more impromptu pictures.

I agree and I think they really enjoy doing it too. Makes their work day go by a little quicker.
and it is easer for you to talk to the CM and find hidden secrets like where the best place is to watch the fire works and other fun things

Also I read somewhere that "Extendable camera monopods" are allowed. Whats the difference and where can I get one?
I'll take this part. The short version: a monopod is something that makes a really terrible selfie stick and when you get one together that can support a camera or phone to use as one, it costs as much as memory maker. :)

A monopod is placed on the ground and extends up to shooting height to add stability to a camera when using long lenses, and so the photographer doesn't have to carry the weight of the entire camera when shooting from a relatively fixed position. They vary in price from about $15 to $400, and don't have any sort of tilt mechanism on them, making them useless as a selfie stick without adding a head (which is additional cost and weight). Also, because they're designed to support weight going straight down to the ground, and not cantilevered out in midair, the cheap ones can bend/break when used as a selfie stick.

If you look in the below photo, the contraption attached to the bottom of the lens is a monopod with the tilt head you'd need to use it as a selfie stick. Collapsed, it's 20" long, and I bought that one specifically because it was one of the very few that would fit into carry-on luggage with the head attached and is extremely light weight. Even though it's lightweight anodized aluminum for the head and even lighter weight carbon fiber for the monopod itself, it still weighs more than a pound, and that's before anything to hold your camera/phone.
DSC_2277-small.jpg

Buy the Memory Maker package especially if you have small children. Not too expensive and no need to worrying about capturing the moments!

I usually throw my Gorilla Tripod in my bag for those few times that I can't find a CM to take my picture.
Joby sells Gorillapods large enough to handle some big cameras and lenses, too - the Focus with Ballhead-X can handle my bigest lens and body and has an Arca Swiss compatible clamp. I think they have half a dozen different basic models with different heads on them for varying uses. I also carry one as my travel tripod practically everywhere, they're quite handy.

CMs and Memory Maker make the "taking pictures" experience a lot better. If I was planning on going on an annual trip to Disney (We are APs, so we go multiple times a year), I would just buy the Memory Maker package and not worry about taking out my own camera. DH & I used it on our honeymoon and it was well worth the $169 we paid in advance.

We are only doing MK, Epcot and DTD for 4 days I don't think its worth it for me? Can anyone who has done this before offer any suggestions to buy or not to buy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter