Selfie Stick bans

I'd rather see them ban light emitting devices and cameras with lighted displays during nightime shows / parades / fireworks first. While you are at it make everyone turn off those annoying flashy hats during the shows / fireworks too. That's just RUDE.

As to the sticks, I haven't noticed an issue with them. I don't own one, nor would I buy one, but on the list of annoying things, they are way down it.

Speaking of which, as long as someone in front of me has a ipad hoisted up during a show/fireworks, don't say anything to me about putting my daughter on my shoulders until you talk to them first.

Ummm..... the sticks hold phones..... which are light emitting devices. Nobody uses one without a phone attached to the end of it.

Disney won't be doing THAT, I'm afraid.
Nope, they want the moolah. All I ask for is adding "Please turn off your flashy hats and headbands during the show please" to be added to the rest of the gobblygook the rattle off. Not to ban the hats or the lights at other times.

Ummm..... the sticks hold phones..... which are light emitting devices. Nobody uses one without a phone attached to the end of it.

Generally speaking I don't see people using the sticks at night to do selfies at night because of the lack of a flash, unless they get good at it and then reverse it to get the flash... in any case, that would be covered under the "light emitting devices during a show" thing I mentioned. It would matter if it was on a stick or in their hands hoisted above their heads.

Yes, but that doesn't mean Disney World will do this. The article refers to concerts where people are pushed into a very limited area of space. And I know, people will come out and say some about the Food and Wine Festival. But, I don't know that Disney World can say the sticks are banned for certain things and not other things. Disney World is open 365 days a year so having a select ban on the sticks will not be practical. And I don't see where an entire ban on the sticks will work either.

No, currently they do not have any kind of ban on selfie sticks and apparently even allow their use on moving rides, which I think is an accident waiting to happen.

Just got home from wdw. Saw these things everywhere but really don't get the issue. They weren't any more of a problem anything else used to take pictures.
Agree, MOST people use them sensibly and don't bother anybody else.
(and no, I do not use or own a selfie stick)

We just got back from a wonderful ten day vacation. I did see a few of these and frankly, I expected to be annoyed after hearing about all of the bans. But to be honest, people were respectful with them and they were a non-issue. The only time I saw a CM tell someone they were not allowed to use it was in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon. The girl politely said okay and exited the river with it at the next stop.

iljo_selfie_rig.jpg

Hopefully WDW bans them...and soon (at least before Aug 24, God willing). Given that it seems that 99% of people walking around (everywhere - not just at WDW) are totally oblivious as to their surroundings to begin with, arming many of them with sticks can only have bad results.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Just another thing to distract guests from watching where they are going.

Nope, they want the moolah. All I ask for is adding "Please turn off your flashy hats and headbands during the show please" to be added to the rest of the gobblygook the rattle off. Not to ban the hats or the lights at other times.

Since Disney sells those ears as "Glow with the Show" ears and they are supposed to sync with the show when its going on... yeah that isn't going to happen. Disney is actively marketing them for use during shows.

If anything, I wish they would ban them from rides. I don't know how many times at Mine Train we've had to stop a train mid-ride because someone decided to lift a selfie stick super high up or to the side of a vehicle where it poses a very high safety risk. As long as they keep them inside the ride vehicle or at least within arms length, we have no problem. But the second it extends past that, it has the potential to be dangerous.

I am really surprised they even allow them on the rides. I see nothing wrong with them but I think every other amusement park in the country doesn't even allow cameras on rides.
I did think about getting one for our trip since I'm renting a GoPro (and someone on here has a really awesome video of their vacation at WDW using it on rides and stuff) but then I looked at some GoPro selfies with the stick and they looked kinda dumb because you could see the stick lol
With the wide view angle of the lens it looks like just doing it hand held works just fine. So no selfie stick for me!
I might take my tripod though - it's pretty compact.

I guess it all depends on the crowd. I sat through Disney on Ice with an iPad in front if me the whole time but no problems at all at WDW this past December. No real issues with selfie sticks either though they were just getting popular.

If anything, I wish they would ban them from rides. I don't know how many times at Mine Train we've had to stop a train mid-ride because someone decided to lift a selfie stick super high up or to the side of a vehicle where it poses a very high safety risk. As long as they keep them inside the ride vehicle or at least within arms length, we have no problem. But the second it extends past that, it has the potential to be dangerous.

Wow. If a CM is saying that she doesn't even know how many times they have had to stop rides because of these items AND that these items pose "a very high safety risk," then they need to be banned. They are clearly interfering with other visitors' ability to enjoy the parks (who likes to be on stopped rides) and more importantly with their expectation of a safe experience. Sure, the majority of users are probably responsible, but this wouldn't be the first time the actions of a few idiots have caused rule changes for us all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter