Self-Parking at the Boardwalk Inn

Did you have a car when you were there in May, Spiceycat? If so, where did you park?

went back to the BLT where I was staying at - and did not visit the restaurants or shops along BW.

if they want my business then provide me with parking.

when I stay at BWV (own there too)- will demand parking - heck it is in the contract with DVC. Our maintenance fees is paying for part of that parking lot - the convention guest are not.

Gosh, this really is a big problem for the Boardwalk area if they don't have parking for DVC members - that's ridiculous. Well, as I said previously, I'll be keeping watch on the availability at the Yacht Club and if something opens up for my dates, then I'll switch, just so I don't have to worry about either finding parking or having to park really far away. It's a real shame because we were excited to try a new (for us) resort. But if I'm going to pay the resort nearly $3,500 the least they can do is make certain I have parking, or comp the valet.

There are 383 DVC rooms and 378 rooms on the Inn side, so the problem is not just DVC specific.

yea but some of the villas are 1-bedroom and 3-bedroom - or at least that is what DVC member are told - we pay more than the inn side in upkept of the resort.

yea but some of the villas are 1-bedroom and 3-bedroom - or at least that is what DVC member are told - we pay more than the inn side in upkept of the resort.
DVC members are no more entitled to a parking spot than any paying guest who stays on the Inn side. No one forced anybody to join DVC. If part of the annual dues go to parking maintenance then that's the way it is.
In any case the issue is the number of parking spots, unless you are suggesting that DVC who stay in the one bedrooms drive down in more than one car or rent more than one car. They are so few 3 bedroom Grand Villas that this isn't even relevant. The Inn side has Club Level, 2 bedroom suites, and the Vice Presidential and Presidential Suite. Good luck telling these guests who spend $500 - $2,000 a night that a DVC member has priority parking over them.

Good Morning We stay EVERY year 1 week in Oct. at BW. Parking is a serious issue every year before what I have read recently. We just returned yesterday but stayed at OKW....people were parking across the street next to Hess to go to BW area. We had dinner plans 3 nights at Yacht Club and they check your band now to confirm ressie before letting you in. Forget the BC...they are tough over there if you are going to YC. The lots were full with convention people. Parking is an issue at all 3 of those resorts and we own and stay at BW and BC. Yikes. Parking is a reason we venture to other resorts to stay. Nice to have a place to park when you return for the day.

This is always a problem at this resort. We stay here 2 weeks every October. The rules are not enforced. All resort guest staying here at bwv and bwi should be able to park here if they arrive by car. That should be top priority. Believe me I've seen it all. Since we stay in the standard rooms we've watched from our balcony the abuses that go on. We favor the smaller lot near the tennis courts. We watch cast members park there ALOT. Also folks pull in and pile out and then head to the studios. Since the guards let the "day guest" and "Florida residents" in that just adds to the parking problem. I read that this is the one resort that is still issuing parking passes. We have 3 more trips this year and all involve a full of partial stay at bwv. Normally in October the guards do a double check from Thursday to Monday. You have to get checked at the first guard and then again at the second guard....this is because people tell the guard they are going to valet park, but then turn off and head to the parking lot instead (at least that's what they told us). I just wish they had a gated parking lot for resort guest that you entered and exited with your Magicband. I think they should charge for parking for anyone not staying here and if you eat at one of the restraurants they can comp it. I bet that would help with some of the problem.

Btw, does anyone know the dates for the big IT conference this fall.

The Boardwalk Inn is generally great. And it's even better during the Food and Wine Festival, with the easy access to Epcot.

Although parking can be a problem during that time of year, I would expect that you will be able to find parking much of the time (even if sometimes it's at the lot across the street). Thus, even if you do have to valet park, it won't be every day. There may be some additional cost as a result, but it's unlikely to be the $200 that you were worried about in the original post.

It is not difficult at to self-park, but it is a pretty good walk from the parking lot.

I'm trying to book for the end of August. We will have one to two cars; I am getting the parking warning on the booking page. I assumed construction, but from this thread sounds like conventioneers?

Parking is always tough when the Conventioneers and Mouseketeers merge.

We are driving to the BW in 12 days. When I booked the resort, there was no warning. I also have not received a letter. From what I have heard, they are repaving. I have never heard of it taking months to repave a parking lot. We will be very upset if we are not allowed to park in the parking lot and/or have to walk a mile and across the street to get to our room every single time we leave. Hopefully it will be done by the time we are there. Just really confused as to why they aren't being proactive about the situation.

kgoodb00, be sure to post back here with your experiences after your trip! Have a great time!

We are driving to the BW in 12 days. When I booked the resort, there was no warning. I also have not received a letter. From what I have heard, they are repaving. I have never heard of it taking months to repave a parking lot. We will be very upset if we are not allowed to park in the parking lot and/or have to walk a mile and across the street to get to our room every single time we leave. Hopefully it will be done by the time we are there. Just really confused as to why they aren't being proactive about the situation.

Same here, we'll be there mid June. We specifically wanted an EPCOT resort. I was on their website multiple times before and after I booked, also called at least 4 times for various reasons including making my initial reservation. Not once was it mentioned and the warning wasn't posted until about 2 months later. I haven't received a letter either. It makes me pretty mad considering we could have booked BC or YC instead, had we known. Now both are completly full for our price range. I think it's ridiculous for them to assume we should suck it up and pay for valet. Not only is it a $$ issue, I don't even like valet because I don't like strangers in my car.:mad:

DVC members are no more entitled to a parking spot than any paying guest who stays on the Inn side. No one forced anybody to join DVC. If part of the annual dues go to parking maintenance then that's the way it is.
In any case the issue is the number of parking spots, unless you are suggesting that DVC who stay in the one bedrooms drive down in more than one car or rent more than one car. They are so few 3 bedroom Grand Villas that this isn't even relevant. The Inn side has Club Level, 2 bedroom suites, and the Vice Presidential and Presidential Suite. Good luck telling these guests who spend $500 - $2,000 a night that a DVC member has priority parking over them.

dvc members have a contact with BW that says we are entitled to one parking space per villa - so guess we should look at the Florida laws about hotels, motels parking - since Orlando is not NY - don't know if it says something about being allowed to park at the place you are staying at.

then also the timeshare rules.

hoping this problem is gone - but the dvc member website is still showing the warning.

believe me a lot of members have invested more in DVC - me, no - don't have that kind of money. there are several members who have more than a 1,000 points.

Everyone who is staying at BW V or I deserves to be able to park in that lot. Instead the hotel seems to give more parking to the convention - when those people are NOT even staying at BW. that is my problem.

instead of catering to the guests at BW - the management is catering to the convention. that is not right. especially since they are not paying for that parking lot.

until Disney puts a garage at BW (which has needed one way longer than DD/DS) this will be a problem.

the timeshare rules under FLorida law are generally different than the hotel/motel rules.

Same here, we'll be there mid June. We specifically wanted an EPCOT resort. I was on their website multiple times before and after I booked, also called at least 4 times for various reasons including making my initial reservation. Not once was it mentioned and the warning wasn't posted until about 2 months later. I haven't received a letter either. It makes me pretty mad considering we could have booked BC or YC instead, had we known. Now both are completly full for our price range. I think it's ridiculous for them to assume we should suck it up and pay for valet. Not only is it a $$ issue, I don't even like valet because I don't like strangers in my car.:mad:

Ditto! We originally were at the BC then switched BW to experience something different.

Does anyone know if the valet lot is secure, or is it just like the other self-parking lots?

when I stay at BWV (own there too)- will demand parking - heck it is in the contract with DVC. Our maintenance fees is paying for part of that parking lot - the convention guest are not.

I disagree that convention guests are not paying part of the parking maintenance - all costs are factored into the room price (even the pool maintenance. ;-) )

But, I DO AGREE that you have a contractual right to a parking spot, if, as someone posted earlier, the contract says one parking spot per unit. Good luck! (btw, I ended up booking at AKL to avoid any parking issues; shouldn't have to be that way).

Since this will be my first stay at BWI, I didn't know of the parking issues and never realized people parked there "illegally" to go to the parks. Disney should have a separate lot for day guests and one for hotel. I would think priority is for someone actually paying to stay there. People who want to go there for dining or whatever should have a lot to park in, but if it's full then THEY should have to valet park.

Last edited:
Since this will be my first stay at BWI, I didn't know of the parking issues and never realized people parked there "illegally" to go to the parks. Disney should have a separate lot for day guests and one for hotel. I would think priority is for someone actually paying to stay there. People who want to go there for dining or whatever should have a lot to park in, but if it's full then THEY should have to valet park.

they did have a separate parking lot - but on my last visit this was to be used by CM ONLY - so no people visiting Epcot park should definitely park at Epcot parking lot. but people visiting the BW area for the entertainment, restaurants and shopping can only stay until closing if they are staying in an Epcot resort. that hurts not only the business on BW but it definitely causes problems for WDW guests staying elsewhere.

We must have gotten lucky! We were in Disney 3 weeks ago, not staying at the Boardwalk, but we drove over to eat there and had no trouble parking in the self-parking lot, actually pretty close to the front.

This kind of scares me; I wasn't aware this was an issue and have been planning to stay at the Boardwalk when we get married in January. I'm not so worried about myself, but for my guests who will also be staying there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter