• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selecting pins..

mad madam mim78

DIS Veteran
Pin traders. How do you select your pins for your lanyards each trip? My lanyard is for the first time overflowing and I'm leaving some behind. It made me wonder how some people with hundreds of pins choose which ones they will wear. Do you have some pins you won't leave behind?

I have done it two different ways. 1. I only put traders on my lanyard and leave the rest in my pin bag. 2. I wear traders on one side (left or right) and others that I may want to show off on the other. I just let people know only one side is up for trade if approached.

My 10 yr old daughter started a pin collection last year when we went. She probably has about 20-25 pins that sge bought and that got given to her. She will not trade any of them. She just wants to add to it...

Before we head to WDW I buy pins on eBay and then pull out doubles or ones I don't care about to put on my lanyard for trading. I keep my collection in binders.

I have 4 favorites that are ALWAYS on my lanyard - Diablo, Monorail Blue, Dreamfinder and Flora. The rest are ones I want to trade. I just like showing off my favorites. The others that I want to keep (I have about 50) I just leave at home. I keep my extra traders in a ziplock baggy.

This past NOV, I put all of my "EPCOT" pins on my lanyard. I was only spending 2 days in Epcot for the F&W Festival so it made sense.
When I got home, I took them all off and decided to put all the misc pins on my lanyard. It's all ready now for the next trip.

I have over 65 pins and I buy 4 or 5 pins every trip, sometimes more!!

Before we head to WDW I buy pins on eBay and then pull out doubles or ones I don't care about to put on my lanyard for trading. I keep my collection in binders.

That's actually a really good idea...in ever thought of doing that for her.

I don't wear my pins to the parks anymore. :sad1:

Since I never trade, and only own pins that I personally purchased at the parks over the years, I had locking backs (that require a tool) on all of them. Late last year, I somehow managed to lose one anyway.

I had over 60 pins. I picked out ten that I wanted to keep and split the rest among my grandchildren to start their collections. Then I lost a very special pin. I did treat myself to a very special, expensive pin to replace it. Now they just stay home.

Maybe one day I'll get desperate enough to display them at the parks and super glue the backs in place. ;)

I usually only take pins that i am going to trade and keep my good ones at home no need to take all my pins on a plane.

I love collecting the pins! I buy a new lanyard ever trip and always make sure I buy a pin with the year on it.

I'm not really big into trading because the pins I do buy are ones I specifically want.

I always buy Ariel pins and pins for rides I like. I find pin collecting highly addictive and it takes me forever to choose which ones I want. :goodvibes

I never bring pins that I want to keep to the parks. I don't feel any need to "show" my pins -- nobody really looks anyway (and do you want them staring at your chest???), and I don't want to risk losing them or being asked to trade them. I too buy pins off of ebay before trips (last trip, two weeks ago, I didn't bring enough!), and each night I take my new "keepers" off the lanyard and put them in a little book I bring, and replenish the traders. And if I trade for a highly desired pin, I don't leave that on my lanyard, in case it falls off - I put it in the bag that I carry.

On my trading lanyard, I do one side for traders, one side for keepers. Sometimes if I'm working on a particular set, I'll wear those ones every day, just so I know for sure which one I already have!

I have the Haunted Mansion lanyard from the pin celebration a few years back, and I looked everywhere for the pins that go with it for awhile. I like to wear it around and show it off, otherwise, what is the point of having it? Plus, when the UV pins light up in the dark rides, it totally rocks!!

I'm relatively new to collecting pins so luckily all of mine still fit on one lanyard however by the last day of our most recent trip, I was pretty much out of room so I'm going to have to make some choices on our next trip. For now, our pins are kept on a cork board that's hung on the wall in our bedroom. I look at it as a piece of art! The pins I'm most proud of are the New Fantasyland pins we got on our trip this past December. I got a Be Our Guest pin and a Belle 'I Was There' pin. I WAS at MK on FLE grand opening day, watched the opening ceremonies and in the evening waited about 3 hours to get our FLE pins so I can't EVER see trading those pins!

I only take the ones i wish to trade. All my keepers are in a shadow box hanging in my dining room. This way i can really show them off to anyone that comes to my house.
As for the parks dh and i each grab some traders each day on our way to park and them will put away the keepers when we get back to the room

What would be the best way to get started on pin trading? My almost 11 yr old I think would enjoy trading pins but I don't know the best way for him to get into it. Suggestions? Would it be something good for a 4yr old too?

I keep all of the pins I buy so I have never traded. I started 4 years ago and only buy pins that have a specific date like Halloween time, current year, favorite characters and holiday Mickey ears for example. I leave them all at home and buy about 5 every trip I make. :)

AshRose26 said:
What would be the best way to get started on pin trading? My almost 11 yr old I think would enjoy trading pins but I don't know the best way for him to get into it. Suggestions? Would it be something good for a 4yr old too?

Four year old would probably love it too,but keep in mind that it slows you down terribly!
A good place to start would be to get each of them a lanyard starter set and maybe a few starter sets. Make sure to get something they DON'T like, since the point is to trade them away! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter