• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seeking words of wisdom and encouragement

Blessed99

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone :donald: My name is Kelly. I am hoping for some words of encouragement. I have about 200 lbs to loose. I know that I want to do this more than anything. I know I need to take it one pound at a time. I started making some small changes today. I have had no soda today! :banana: And instead of snacking on junk, I snacked on fresh fruit. :yay: I wonder how other people seem to get started and how they stay motivated. Any ideas? Words of wisdom? Encouragement? I know that I can find some friends here because :disrocks: ! Thanks in advance!!

My motivation comes from my wanting to be alive to see my children get married. I want to be around to see them grow up, and graduate from college. I want to be around so I can love them. This is enough motivation for me!

For others it can be loads of things. Like worrying about developing diabetes or cancer.

Just think abou what you have to live for, and then think about not wanting to become ill and suffer.

Maybe you can write these answers down in a journal. It will allow your thoughs to flow.

Let me know what you come up with.

I personally lost 100lbs, so you can do it!

Remember, change your eating habits and MOVE AROUND. Get out and walk - but make sure you get the right shoes right away. I didn't do this and ended up walking and running injured for two years until I had to take a break. Good luck on your journey - I know you can do it!

Portion out your fruits and veggies into snack baggies and keep them in the fridge for quick snack attacks. If you make it easy to just pick up a bag, it will be as easy to eat the good things as it is to eat the junk. I also freeze grapes for a cool sweet snack.

Remember to keep your portions under control and however it is easiest for you is what will work the best.

If you cannot get out and walk currently, do things such as stretching, leg lifts, arm circles and anything that keeps your body moving. The more you move, the more you will lose. If you are watching TV and feel like a snack, try stretching instead. It will take your mind off the food.

Also, water, water, water, and water!!! The vital source of life. You MUST take in lots of water to flush your system.

Keep a positive attitude. Focus on the good things you are doing for yourself and your family. Turn to the DIS when you need some extra help...like now!! :thumbsup2

Come here every day. Everyone here is struggling with the same issues. I have been trying to lose weight forever, but I tend to work really hard for a few weeks and then flake out and gain it back. I have been consistent now for 8 months! :banana: I have lost 15 lbs. Not as much as I would have liked, but slow and steady wins the race and I have made some big changes in the way I see the world and myself, which makes a ton of difference in my life despite what the scale says.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and support. Its so nice to know that I am not alone in this battle. :yay:

Congratulations Raenstoirm on your upcoming wedding!:goodvibes Best of luck to you!

Speaking as someone that lost a ton of weight (109 pounds) and then gained half back, I would say remember to take things one day at a time. Somewhere along the way I forgot that simple pearl of wisdom. I got so weary of the maintenance "journey" and thought the weight would stay off magically on it's own but that is not the case. I will always have a battle with my weight and food. That is just the truth and I have to face up to it. Certainly everyone's situation is different but be totally honest with yourself and what you need to do for your health. Come here everyday and give encouragement (something I stopped doing long ago). Most important of all, don't get discouraged and give out on the road. Take this journey one sweet day at a time and instead of focusing on foods that you might be giving up, think about the wonderful healthful foods you will be able to enjoy now! I wish you all the best!

Thank you ZerasPride! :goodvibes Congratulations on the loss of 109 lbs!!:cool1: That is awesome! I bet you feel like a brand new woman! I think that taking things one day at a time is what has kept me going for this past 3 days! That is certainly great advice!

The advice given above is excellent. I just wanted to add a couple of things. For me, eating frequent and small has been very helpful. Some days I feel like I've eaten SO much because it was SO often, but when I add it all up...it was still well within my daily allowance.

Also, make sure you are taking this on as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Diets will only work when you are dieting. The longer you maintain a healthy lifestyle, the worse you feel if you eat something you shouldn't or if you don't get some walking in.

And, most important....envision your success!!! How amazing will you feel when you lose 2 pounds or 20 pounds or 2 sizes???? It will be worth the struggle, I promise!

Thanks sramile! I appreciate your encouragement!! :goodvibes It is nice to know that people are taking their time for me! I think that this time my attitude is different and doing what I need to do for a lifetime is the key!

I just wanted to add, what a wonderful piece of advice you were given above about making a lifestyle change. I have totally sworn off dieting. I will not do it ever again because diets are things you go off of for vacation and "special" occasions and things like that. You have to look at it as if you are making healthy lifestyle changes instead and that makes it so much easier and gives you such a better attitude about the whole process. I am going to remember that one myself. Lifestyle change and not diet. I love it!!!! :)

I needed to get back into shape after college and found that starting was the hardest part. Everyone has their own experience and hurdles but the things I found work best are:

• PORTION CONTROL. This is the biggest. I would recommend using measuring cups or even a kitchen scale to learn exactly what 1 cup of cereal or 8oz of chicken look like.
  • Exercise. This aspect sometimes gets forgotten but increased activity along with reduced calorie intake will make the process faster.
  • Stay encouraged. I used to get a bacon double cheeseburger from BK everyday for lunch. That was the first thing to go. I started packing lunch and at first I just really wanted that bacon double cheeseburger. Fast forward a couple of months and I not only didn’t crave the bdcb but just the thought of it disgusted me.
  • Condiments/dressings. This is something else that gets very overlooked. You can take a very healthy salad, add 2 cups of Ranch and congratulations, you have just made your salad worse for you than a whopper. Another good example I can relate to is coffee. I used to drink fancy coffees with a bunch of sugar. I switched to black with no cream and no sugar and saved 400 calories a day. At first I hated the taste but now I am used to it and sweet coffee’s don’t even taste good to me.

Good luck. There is a lot of inspiration here and sharing your challenges with others who have the same ones can make it easier to reach your goals.

I am thrilled that you are here!

Congratulations to you for getting it done! I know you can!

I am with the idea of not ever using that "D" word. Make small goals and ones that you know you will be able to achieve. As you work your way through those successes you will find yourself being successful.

Do what you can to make it fun. We all do better when we have fun.

Mostly, we need each other. Come often and post lots. You will be amazed how helping others will also be helpful to you.

Thank you Fire Dancer for the tips! I like the one about measuring everything. Thats a great idea! :goodvibes

Hi Tiger Lily :) Thanks for the welcome and the tips! Just knowing I have friends here helps! I love your user name, My grandma nicknamed me Tiger Lily when I was a little girl and thats all she ever called me until she passed away. :hug:

I have also started a journal here called Fighting against nothing if anyone wants to read, or comment. I have found that this somehow seems to help me get through the day knowing that I am going to come here and write something about my day that not only me, but others can see. Even though I know I only have to answer to myself, it somehow seems to hold me accountable for my daily actions.

I've lost about 75 lbs but am currently up about 20 of those that I need to get off yesterday:) My tip would be not to focus on losing 200 lbs. That is just too overwhelming. Instead, focus on losing 5 lbs. Once you reach that goal, focus on the next 5. That way you always have a goal within reach. Good luck! It's not easy but it is worth it.

You have gotten great advice and I just want to add my own success tips even though they are already here.

Stop dieting and make this your lifestyle change. Dieting is counterproductive, every diet I have been on results in me putting back the weight and adding a few extra pounds after that.

Drink plenty of water. Water not only fills you up and flushes away toxins, it helps to energize you and fights brain fog.

Focus on five pounds at a time.

Find a buddy to help support you.

You can do this and you are worth the effort you are making to become healthy!

Congratulations for loving and valuing yourself! :hug: It takes courage to evaluate yourself honestly and begin making small changes in your lifestyle to achieve your goals for a healthier life.

I will recommend a book to you that is/was extremely valuable to me. The title is "When Food Is Love" by Geneen Roth. It is worth every penny and it's a book that you should find a quiet place each day and savour every word. Reading it was my turning point. I'm losing about a pound to a pound & 1/2 a month. I haven't had a gain in over a year! I want to be right around 150ish. The large amounts of loss aren't important to me, it's keeping it off and learning how to eat better. I was told by a nutritionist that people who have routines are far more successful at maintenance than others. I understand that now that I am putting into practice. I used to think that was boring.:goodvibes

Don't forget to love yourself every step of the way, especially when you veer off the healthier path. :love:

Dear Blessed... you are worth it you are amazing...

LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!

I lost 95 pounds and know that it changed my life... I say you can't lose 95 until you lost the first one... journal all you eat... Drink water...

Calories and Carbs are the 2 things that will fluctuate your weight the fastest... I exercise daily at Curves... it is an amazing place... motivational and loving... all women trying to better their lives... be healthier and stronger... I couldn't have done it without them... Remember it is not a diet it is a lifestyle change... you are worth it to do this the rest of your life... Believe me it filters down to those you love and you end up being a better wife, mother, daughter, co worker, friend... heck just a better woman...

if you need anything... just look within...You are worth it... Be the most positive and enthusiastic person you know....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter