Seeking opinions on resort options for newly married couple with 1 teenager

BriAlie

Alie In Glacierland
Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping my new family can make it to Disney World this summer and am researching resort options. I'm posted overseas, and brand-new DH is posted in the USA...I've been here since July08 (flew to Hawaii to elope on the beach Jan.1 then right back to China) and will be here until July 09, so the trip will take place shortly after we are finally re-united after a year of living in different hemispheres.

My question, we are going with DH's DD15, and while we COULD all stay in one room together, DH and I would like some, ahem, privacy. :lovestruc We were thinking of getting two rooms (next door, or across hallway) and have DD stay on her own, but I don't want her to feel we don't want her around! Would a family suite with one bedroom afford adequate privacy, do you think? Or maybe one of the cabins at FW.

If anyone has stayed in the rooms with a separate bedroom apart from the living space, I'd love to hear about it. It's our first trip as a family and my first time to the World (I've been to Disneyland in CA about 6 times, Paris twice).

I've been lurking on the board for awhile but haven't seen this particular issue brought up. I have learned a lot of great information, though!

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions!! :flower3:

Personally I think you need a one bedroom villa at any of the DVC home-away-from-home properties. They have a bedroom with a nice King sized bed, a large split bathroom with a spa soaking tub, a full kitchen, and a living room with a pull out sofa bed. Dh and I take our niece and get a one bedroom and we have just the right amount of privacy and they right amount of together time

You could also get a jr suite at CSR or two connecting rooms. Either way you'll get two bathrooms.

CSR is my family favorite! I don’t know if it will work for you but pick which resort theme you like best and which resort amenities meet your family's needs. Also, check out my CSR website below for updated info and pics.

Here is just some quick info on CSR.

CSR has newly renovated rooms (about half done as of 3/2009) and queen beds (only mod to offer them).

A terrific main pool area that includes a 123 ft slide (2nd largest at WDW), kiddie pool, arcade, playground, sand volleyball court, hot tub (largest on WDW property), a bar, and snack bar (very good food for CS).

Reliable transportation that is not shared with other resorts, 4 resort stops and quick rides to all the parks. CSR has the closest bus stops to the park entrances too (first stop at DHS and MK)!

Other amenities you may be looking for in a resort.
Only moderate to offer suites.

A spa, salon, tanning beds, a lap pool and fitness center (free to its guests).

Full menu room service, expensive though.

Central air, flat panel TV’s and WiFi available.

Rix Lounge – a dance club voted most trendy bar in Orlando.

A business center with computer access.

ostjs3.jpg

2igcfa0.jpg

You might want to consider renting points from a DVC Member for a one bedroom. I think this would allow you the privacy you are looking for as newlyweds. CONGRATS by the way :bride:

A one bedroom villa with AKV (Kidani Village) would offer you two bathrooms---same as CSR. AKV Jambo House one bedrooms only offer 1 bathroom.

I looked up rates. The CSR Suite would be about $455/night.

But if you could find a member to rent AKV Kidani Village points, you can stay for around $220/per weeknight if you visit prior to June 10 for a standard view or $260/night for a savanna view. Weekend points go higher at about $440/night to $520/night. So you might want to schedule a Sun thru Thurs night stay.

If you go after June 10, the rates do go up a bit if you rent from a Member because the nightly points go up. Around $250-$300/weeknights and $500-$590 weekends for a one bedroom at AKV.

So maybe you could rent just weeknight points and then, if you're not opposed, move over to another resort for the weekend ?

I know you mentioned the FW Cabins....they'd be about $320/night. CSR and AKV Kidani Village will give u 2 bathrooms so that is a better deal than the Cabins especially if u want a little privacy. Also, I'm not 100% sure if there are doors on the master bedroom at CSR and the FW Cabins ? My in-laws stayed at the Cabins several years ago but I'm drawing a blank ? AKV does offer a door for the master bedroom if that matters. The Cabins and CSR may as well.....I'm just not sure.

Good luck....congrats ....and welcome to the DIS :welcome:

You could also get a jr suite at CSR or two connecting rooms. Either way you'll get two bathrooms.
I agree! CSR is a lovely resort, very romantic! Try for the two rooms if you want to save moeny or go for the suite.

Renting points is a great way to save money, but....If for some reason you have to cancel, you can't get a refund on your money. There's no travel insurance, and little to no rescheduling with rented points. One other thing price wise, if you are definitely going in July, plan to stay for a week, and book by March 29, you could probably get a suite for the almost the same price as rented points anyway what with the 4/3 deal that's going on.

I have a co-worker who stayed in the FW cabins and loved them. Said they were very private. Like renting a cottage/cabin somewhere else. Her kids (ages 4 & 6) were very disappointed when they moved over to the BWV - even though BWV has a slide at the pool and FW does not.

I did want to add...you get a nice roomy balcony with the one bedrooms at AKV (this is a photo from the Jambo House side but the Kidani Village will be similar). It would be nice to be able to sit out there with a glass of wine at night :

IMG_2179.jpg

I think either a one BR at any of the DVC villas or one of the cabins would make it feel more like a family than would 2 separate rooms at CSR (beautiful pictures BTW, Buzz2001). The CSR suite sounds like a nice option though.

With the cabins, the bedroom really isn't a master bedroom. I think the configuration is still bunkbeds and a double bed in that room. It does have a door. There is also a sleep sofa in the living room... is it a queen?

With the exception of the older OKW villas, the other DVC one BRs have two doors to the bathroom which helps with privacy issues. Some of them have split bathrooms too.

Bay Lake Towers will have two full baths in a one BR just like Kidani.

Good luck with your decisions and congratulations.

Ohhh, thank you all so much for your suggestions. I think this trip will be fabulous.

I'm leaning toward the CSR Jr. Suite, or a 1 bedroom villa at a DVC, those seem a good fit. We qualify for a military discount, which will help a lot. Of course, being military, DH won't know his leave schedule for the summer until May or June (he can't request, he is "informed" of his leave, LOL) :laughing:

I'm very concerned that by the time we know our dates, nothing will be available. :scared: Of course, I knew what I signed up for when I became a military wife, and it's totally worth it, even if the only rooms available are not what we had hoped for at first. :)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Is there a reason why you would not consider Shades of Green? It is far cheaper than any other hotel on property for what you get. It would give you the option of getting 2 rooms. They do a really good job of listening to requests as far as room assignments too.

Look into the 40% deal for military for the WDW hotels (not SOG). It would give you the ability to add the dining plan (not deluxe plan) if that is what you are looking for. I am sure you know about the ticket offer from Disney.

As a side note, consider Universal. The teen would love it there. They have wonderful onsite hotel discounts for active duty military and it would give you unlimited front of the line access for all rides. They are also running a great deal for the active duty military member to receive a free 7 day park hopper pass.

This year is a good year for an affordable vacation for military families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter