Seeking Opinion on 4-day Cruise

shburks

DIS Veteran
We went on the Fantasy in August and fell in love with the whole DCL cruising. We've cruised before on other lines (sometimes for the itinerary or port departure) but this was our first DCL. And now we're really hooked and want to go again...and again!

My husband is currently deployed, and I had booked a WDW trip for just myself and my son (8) for late February. Now there are two pressing matters on either weekend (before we were to leave and the one we were to return) that are going to compress our relaxing trip, and I've started to be concerned that our relaxing trip would be stressful instead!

So...I started considering a cruise! Just myself and the ds. I really don't want to do 7 days (Port Canaveral) because it would mean over a week out of school for him so considering a 4 day in January or February. The cost of cruise is way less that our room only reservation for WDW!

The question...will I be disappointed in a 4 day after doing the 7 day? We would get off in CC and probably not in Nassau (Unless we go do the pirate museum for a bit of educational experience). With no other adult, I don't plan to book Palo, spa, etc. so it would just be a few days of relaxing.

Thoughts?

We did 3 7 night cruises, then booked the 5 night Canadian cruise. We had a great time on the 5 night.

I wished it was longer but we had a wonderful time.

Now for our Anniversary we booked a 4 night out of Miami and there are no sea days, I know this one is going to feel really short for us. We got such a great deal on it, that I will try to put out of my mind that I have to disembark after 4 nights.

I think you will have a wonderful time with your little guy and make great memories!

shburks said:
We went on the Fantasy in August and fell in love with the whole DCL cruising. We've cruised before on other lines (sometimes for the itinerary or port departure) but this was our first DCL. And now we're really hooked and want to go again...and again!

My husband is currently deployed, and I had booked a WDW trip for just myself and my son (8) for late February. Now there are two pressing matters on either weekend (before we were to leave and the one we were to return) that are going to compress our relaxing trip, and I've started to be concerned that our relaxing trip would be stressful instead!

So...I started considering a cruise! Just myself and the ds. I really don't want to do 7 days (Port Canaveral) because it would mean over a week out of school for him so considering a 4 day in January or February. The cost of cruise is way less that our room only reservation for WDW!

The question...will I be disappointed in a 4 day after doing the 7 day? We would get off in CC and probably not in Nassau (Unless we go do the pirate museum for a bit of educational experience). With no other adult, I don't plan to book Palo, spa, etc. so it would just be a few days of relaxing.

Thoughts?

We did a 4day after a 7 day (and a 4 day before that) and although we were sad that it was so short, it was also great to just be on the cruise! I kind of made a point to savor all the things I love the most and cut out the things that were so-so from previous cruises. It was actually great because I had enough experience on the ship to focus in on only the things I wanted to enjoy!
I say go for it!

Thank you both. I was thinking along the same lines but wanted a second opinion. :)

We have done two, 4 night cruises on the Dream and had a blast. I definitely say go for it! I'm taking my Mom on the 7 night Fantasy next month due to the awesome military rates they offered. Although I am a military brat, I no longer have an ID card but my Mom does since my step dad is retired Air Force. Just curious - sorry if I overlooked it - but have you looked into the military rates DCL offers? I would say this would be icing on the cake to save a bunch of $ and have a blast with your DS! I should put a disclaimer - I'm not sure of your military status but since you briefly mentioned it I wanted to make sure you were aware they offer these rates sometimes.

Have fun,
Heather

IBelieveInTheMagic said:
We have done two, 4 night cruises on the Dream and had a blast. I definitely say go for it! I'm taking my Mom on the 7 night Fantasy next month due to the awesome military rates they offered. Although I am a military brat, I no longer have an ID card but my Mom does since my step dad is retired Air Force. Just curious - sorry if I overlooked it - but have you looked into the military rates DCL offers? I would say this would be icing on the cake to save a bunch of $ and have a blast with your DS! I should put a disclaimer - I'm not sure of your military status but since you briefly mentioned it I wanted to make sure you were aware they offer these rates sometimes.

Have fun,
Heather

Thanks. Dh is active duty military so I am stalking the DCL site watching for deals for Jan/Feb!!

Thanks. Dh is active duty military so I am stalking the DCL site watching for deals for Jan/Feb!!

Awesome! I hope it works out for you :) Don't give up too! I booked our cruise for 12/8 around 10/11 and the rates stayed there for a little while. Then they disappeared, including the *GT rates they sometimes offer. I recently checked, and they are once again offering the military rates for our sailing. So to your point - keep checking! :thumbsup2

Heather

A 4 night is a LOT shorter than a 7 night, but it is way better than no cruise at all. You'll find that they tried to put many of the most popular features/activities of a 7 night into the 4 so that it seems "busier."

As above, keep checking for military rates (or work with a TA who will do it for you). While you can't combine a military rate with any other deal from DCL, you can get an onboard credit from a TA.

So IGT rates now available for one in Jan. should i do it? Wait and see if mil rate pops up? Saves about $300 for inside room

a 4 day is fun, but more rushed. Re. WDw trip, I don't know where you were staying, but did you try Shades of Green for onsite? It is very nice (just not much WDW theming). Your DS would LOVE the new Villians interactive game at MK. It's free with admission and your can spend hours on it. My DS wants to go back just to play the next level and collect more cards.

ldo said:
a 4 day is fun, but more rushed. Re. WDw trip, I don't know where you were staying, but did you try Shades of Green for onsite? It is very nice (just not much WDW theming). Your DS would LOVE the new Villians interactive game at MK. It's free with admission and your can spend hours on it. My DS wants to go back just to play the next level and collect more cards.

Don't care for SoG myself. Dh's rank pushes us into a higher category and I'd rather stay deluxe with military discount from Disney for similar cost. Plus we fly so we need Disney transport, etc.

Thanks for the tip on Villains though! Sounds fun.

I've only done one 4 night. I loved it and can't wait to do a 7 night. But, realistically, your son would miss Monday-thursday on a 4 night and only one extra day for a 7 night. I'd go with 7!

DW and I are in the same boat :rotfl2:

We started with a 3 night cruise, to a 4 night, to 7 night and finally the 15 night Wonder PC cruise. We were wondering if we should go back to a four night cruise in 2013. We have not been on either of the new ships and do want to see both; so we decided to do the four night cruise on the Dream in December. We have it booked all ready.

I'm sure it will feel too short but still looking forward to seeing the Dream. Better a short Disney cruise than no Disney cruise. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

triciari said:
I've only done one 4 night. I loved it and can't wait to do a 7 night. But, realistically, your son would miss Monday-thursday on a 4 night and only one extra day for a 7 night. I'd go with 7!

Actually for a 7 night, he would miss over a week as we'd need to leave on Friday for a Sat cruise so Friday plus the entire next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter