Seeking help....

airalynn

Earning My Ears
Hello all! I'm seeking help in finding a bag that can handle my family of 4 while we are at the DLR and DCA. Now here's where this whole thing gets fun. I have a bad back so normal backpacks are very uncomfortable and cause massive amounts of fun nasty pain for me. I need something that isn't going to kill my back but that can hold 4 water bottles, snacks, and other important items for no more than $30 bucks. TIA!

Why dont you all carry your own water? Each carry their own backpack?

You can also consider gettin a lasso strap that holds water. Disneyland sells them for $3.25 and works with any bottle water. Each kid can carry their own, all they need to do is put it over their head. You can just go to a water fountain and refill them at your pleasure.

Snacks? DONT NEED THEM, just bring money for Churros and popcorn :D

you can bring like a fanny pack for all other important stuff. Or wear a baggy pants?

My two kids are 6 and 4. They will be carrying their own backpacks if they want to but we all know how kids get. So I'm playing the part of the pack mule while we are there. No big to me other than the back problem, I was the pack mule for my last trip to DL with 6 people. I ended up handling all the fun odd and ends for myself and my 3 sibs. Besides way easy if mom carries everything cause it's everyone else's first trip to DL.

Locker?

well, most bathrooms at Disneyland HAVE drinking fountains. You can eliminate water bottles if it does give you issues.

Getting a locker for the other odd and ends we aren't really needing to carry around the park, but water bottles are required for us desert rats. Fanny pack is out cause of were it has to sit on my back (partially herniated and failing disc just above tailbone) I just figured this would be the place to ask the DLR experts their opinion on good bags to schlep around with.

Getting a locker for the other odd and ends we aren't really needing to carry around the park, but water bottles are required for us desert rats. Fanny pack is out cause of were it has to sit on my back (partially herniated and failing disc just above tailbone) I just figured this would be the place to ask the DLR experts their opinion on good bags to schlep around with.

if you have a 6 and 4 year old, you can always consider using a stroller. those have places you can put things in there.

sorry if im not helping you. im just throwing random ideas for you.

You are being very helpful, random ideas are what help cultivate brilliance. Strollers are a must. I'm probably just over thinking the whole problem which is a very good possibility but bouncing things around with other people helps get my brain moving towards a solution.

You are being very helpful, random ideas are what help cultivate brilliance. Strollers are a must. I'm probably just over thinking the whole problem which is a very good possibility but bouncing things around with other people helps get my brain moving towards a solution.

maybe im just tired :\

Id just carry the non-important things in your stroller. and carry money in a holder or pocket. For me, since i dont carry my wallet into work, i have my credit card attached to my keychain and my keychain attached to my pants with a metal clip. I carry around $20 in cash for random foods. :)

for your tickets, people wear lanyards to hold them but make sure you dont lose your lanyard though. you can also put your money in the lanyard too and that goes around your neck. Dont know if that will affect your back or not.

I hadn't though about the lanyards for stuff. I think I may have figured it out. Thanks for your help and I'll be hunting for you when we come for our visit this summer.

I LOVE the teardrop bag from LL Bean. I carry 2-12 oz & 2-8oz water bottles, 2 small digital cameras, wipes, bandaids, small snacks (granola bars) & other misc. small items. I'll try to post a link...but if it does not show up, go to LL bean's website and search for "stowaway health back". Doing a search on "back bag" will show some other bags that are similar and come in larger sizes.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...ry=4520&cat4=2913&shop_method=pp&feat=4520-tn

Its not a "normal" backpack....have you considered a camelback? We love ours, and don't go to the park without it. (I'm not a germaphobe, so I'll drink after my kids!) The bag straps around the front in two places, so the weight is distributed throughout your torso , not just on your shoulders. You can fit juiceboxes and a soda in with the bladder (keeps them cool) and our version has two small pockets- one we use for ID, sunscreen, wallet, camera, the other for snacks. When we went to WDW last month, my sisters kids were arguing over who got to wear the "navy bag" If you get sore from wearing it, you can always put it on top of the stroller, or hang it from the handles, the drinking tube is still accessible.

I agree with Albort - a stroller with a basket is a must for us. We got a cheap one from Wal Mart for around $20 - even if the kids aren't in it at the time it will hold our water and snacks. We might park it at a central location (say fantasyland) hit the rides, and then move it. I also always carry a lanyard to hold the tickets - some cash and a credit card. Then we have a small camera that goes in DH's pocket.

I always end up being the pack mule as well. Several years ago I decided to get a cheap backpack with wheels. This way when my back can't handle it anymore, I just roll it for awhile. Kids like to roll it sometimes too, so that gives me a break as well. Just another option.......;)

At DLR everything is so close that the locker is an essential part of my day. All extras are stored in the locker. I usually either get one just outside the parks or in DL (its open earlier and later and saves me the hassle later). For water we use the water lanyards (I actually have the belt loop lanyards that they sold a few years back, works great on my fanny pack). I really only carry water, tix, cc, money. Everything else is in locker. DON'T FORGET LIGHTWEIGHT JACKETS.

It sounds as if the lockers can be opened multiple times. Is this correct? What is the pricing for various sizes? What size do you think we'd need for a couple of pairs of sneakers, 2 kids' outfits, and 4 sweatshirts/lightweight jackets?

I believe it was $7 for a small locker (pretty roomy) which can be entered all day long without repaying. Its like having your own personal cupboard or drawer at DL to store stuff. They do have larger ones, not sure of the rent but I usually have no problems storing all my family's stuff in the small ones. Of course if you are storing a backpack, jackets and shoes that might be different. . .lol

My DD5 carried her own fanny pack the whole 7 days we were there.It had a water bottle holder on it.I got it at HOJO in Anaheim.It was too big for her but DH did something with a ruberband and it worked great.

I bought a Bagellini messenger bag from ebags our last trip.I think right now you can get it with google checkout and save $10.If you go to mousesavers.com there generally is another code for it as well.It would be under your 30 bucks.They ship very fast and have never had a problem with them.I also have issues with my neck and it never felt too heavy unless the kids were hanging on it.While you are on the rides you just shift it over a bit and it fits fine.Your DH or whoever can take a turn if you get a non girly one.
If you will have a stroller this would be all you need.Our first trip last year we went way overboard packing things in,If you need everything,get a locker.It would be way easier.

You can also get waterbottel clips or caribeaners(sp) from walmart in the sporting goods dept.They clip to your belt loops.They break easy if you play with them too much ie..kids.But they are only like $1 so you can buy plenty.

Good luck and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter