Seeking help from Experienced Disney vacationers!!!

goodrn

Disney Dreamer
Well hello everyone... I haven't posted in a long time and my good friend Blondie certainly fusses at me about it. Anyhow,
My hubby's family wants to plan a family Christmas and go to Disney. I am however very cautious about this... I've heard this is the busiest time of year as well as most expensive. I would prefer January, but cant seem to convince the sister in law otherwise. Would like to know if anyone has gone right after christmas (the 26th on) and how your experience was and any opinions on going Christmas vs. January? thanks for any responses!!!:earsgirl:

My experience has been that Christmas week thru New Years is one of the busiest weeks of the year. From the 2nd week in Jan. on it gets much quieter. We went for a week the first week in Feb. last year and it was one of the quietest times we'd ever spent - it was chilly though, not really great if you want to get alot of time in at the pools (although they are heated if you're adventurous). Great crowds though for being in the parks and great tempuratures for walking around too;)

......I was there for the entire week between Christmas and New Years in 1997. I will NEVER, EVER do that again! I usually go in the "crowded" summertime, and I've been there for the 4th of July (which is really busy) BUT, that Christmas week is the absoulute busiest, craziest, most crowded week of the year. Prices are higher, the temps were cold when I was there (highs in the 40s.....brrrrrrrrrr) -- just not a very pleasant experience for us overall, considering the cost vs. enjoyment aspect.

I highly discourage going then. Much more fun can be had at other times of the year. Maybe consider going in early December if you want to see all of the Christmas decorations.

Good news is your planning another trip right?:)
I don't know about december, but the past two years that we have gone in january have been wonderful. Of course the weather is a little cooler, parks close a little sooner, and it may not be as festive...however, January also has a lot of perks. I think it's a good kept secret only kept for the pros:hyper:
If you can get your sis to reconsider than great. If not, there are a lot more activities that are offered during christmas that make up for the conjestion in the parks. There is the sleigh ride, decoration and more festive atmosphere. Either case, your going to WDW:Pinkbounc :wave: :bounce: :wave: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We were there from the 20th - 28th last year. It was great until the 25th! Then the place was so packed we couldn't do anything. We've been there over 4th of July before and Christmas made the 4th of July look like the park was empty. They closed the MK by something like 11:00 that day because it had already filled to capacity. If you really want to go for Xmas, go slightly before and leave on the 26th! In addition to missing the huge crowds, you'll get the value season resort rates.

If your family wants to go to Disney at Chrismastime because of the Christmas decorations, activities and spirit, then go in early December. It has some of the lowest crowds and prices. But, all the Xmas decorations are up, all activities are in full swing (MVMCP, CP, Osbourn Lights, etc) and lots of spirit. try to convince them to go at this time of year.

seven trips....:(

We went on Dec 26, 2001 for 4 days. It was 4 days of hell. Both of my boys begged me to bring them home. It was absolutely packed at every park and you could hardly see anything. I think one whole afternoon at MGM and we did 2 different rides.

That would be my absolute last pick next to spring break. January I'm sure is MUCH better...

happy planning!
Esmerelda :cool:

A friend of mine went last year from xmas to new years and said that it was packed. For example, the fast pass clock for Peter Pan was saying to return at midnight, and it was only 6pm! And that's Peter Pan for crying out loud!!:p He also said that they hit capacity very early in the day, closed the gates, and then reopened the gates later to let more crowds in. He said it was like herds of cattle, just stuck in one place because there was no other place to go! I'd definately show your relatives this string to try and convince them that January is the better time, let them learn from the mistakes of others!

Good luck!
kelly
::MinnieMo

Hey girl! It's about time you got back on the DIS! ::yes:: :wave2:

We arrived on January1st and it was PACKED! They even had to open a "backstage" exit that went behind Main Street and ended up next to Tony's Restraunt. By Jan. 2, it was wonderful. Far less crowded and were still total in the Christmas mood!

We are planning our first Christmas trip for 2004 also and decided to go the week before Christmas. The rates are so much lower and the crowds are supposed to be much better.

Hi! We've gone several times from Dec. 26 thru Jan. 2, and it IS crowded. BUT - with planning, it can still be fun.

We get up super early, plan our days around the Extra Magic Hour, and are ready to leave the parks by 11:30 or 12, when it becomes unbearably crowded. Then we have lunch outside the parks, go to the pool or hot tub (if it's warm enough) or just relax for a bit. Early dinner then back to parks for fireworks/parades.

The trick is to make sure you make PS's before you go to avoid frustration of waiting in long lines to eat; and to avoid the parks at peak times.

Yes, it can be cold - but it can be warm too.

Since we've been to WDW often, we are less concerned about hitting everything. I would say if this is your (or your sister-in-law's) first trip, it might be frustrating. But if you are willing to go with the flow, it's fun.

We have been the week BEFORE Christmas, and everyone is right - it's cheaper, much less crowded, and still very holiday-like. We'd do it again if we could, but it's an extended family trip and we can never get everyone together that week.

Hope this helps....

Amyprincess:

I was there Dec 15-25 a few years ago. It was wonderful up until the weekend which was right before Christmas, then it was horrible. The 2 or 3 weeks before Christmas is one of the very best times to go, but you should get out of there on or before the 25th. If you can't go before, then wait until January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter