Seeking advice/opinions for family of 5

can'twaittobewarm

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We have stayed off-site for our last 6 trips. For a change we thought we might say on-site for atleast a portion of our trip this May, 2011. Any recommendations on a good spot on-site for the 5 of us? Dd will be 11, one ds will be 8 and other ds will be 5 plus dh and myself.
Thanks so much for sharing your expertise!!

We like the ASMu family suites. There is a small kitchenette with a fridge and a microwave. A separate bedroom with a queen sized bed and its own TV. The living room has a sofa that converts to a queen, a chair that converts to a twin, and an ottoman that converts to a twin. There is also a separate TV in the living room. There are 2 full bathrooms. They are in the preferred section of ASMu. If you go on www.allearsnet.com. there are pictures.

We are also a family of 5... will be (trip in June 11): me, DW, DD(12), DS(7), DD(5). We stayed at Poly a couple years ago (youngest was still in pack-and play) and, like any hotel room, was a little crowded for 5.

In '11, we have arranged to rent DVC points for a 1bdrm stay at BLT. Budget wise, know if you do this you need to purchase your tickets & dining seperately. You can look at the DVC section of the board for information on renting points. For the 5 days we're going, renting points is costing us an extra $500 over the AS Suites. BUT... monorail resort, walking distance to MK, lake access, etc.

plus it is a 1-bedroom so you get a whirlpool tub, washer/dryer, in the room.

for OP there is another alternative - it is small - POR - AB section - their trundle rooms will sleep 5. and should be okay for you and your family for several years.

they are definitely the smallest option plus the least expensive.

for a 1-bedroom that sleeps 5 - then AKV (Kidani) and soon to be OKW.

both AKV and BLT has 2 bathrooms in their 1-bedroom.

OKW will only have a 1 bathroom in its 1-bedroom.

Don't forget the wilderness cabins. 1 BR has bunk beds and double bed, and living room has Murphy double bed. Full kitchen - but no washer dryer in the cabin

We are also a family of 5... will be (trip in June 11): me, DW, DD(12), DS(7), DD(5). We stayed at Poly a couple years ago (youngest was still in pack-and play) and, like any hotel room, was a little crowded for 5.

In '11, we have arranged to rent DVC points for a 1bdrm stay at BLT. Budget wise, know if you do this you need to purchase your tickets & dining seperately. You can look at the DVC section of the board for information on renting points. For the 5 days we're going, renting points is costing us an extra $500 over the AS Suites. BUT... monorail resort, walking distance to MK, lake access, etc.

Since we are now 6, we are renting point for a 2 bedroom in OKW this year. It actually only cost us $200 over the ASMu Family Suite. ...but for convenience sake, for someone that is new to on site, it is easier to book ASMu. We have friends who are a fmaily of 5 and they love the Wilderness Cabins.

We Loved the Cabins. There is a full sized bed and a set of bunk beds in the bedroom, as well as a full sized Murphy bed in the living room. Each unit also has a full kitchen. We saved alot of money on breakfast. If we were inclined to have a few meals in the cabin, we could have saved even more.

There are two TV's. (One in the living room and one in the bedroom) We stayed with my mom and I was concerned about it being awkward for her and my DH. The cabin allowed them each to have the privacy they needed.

I have an energetic autistic child, so a big plus for us was that our unit was our own. If he jumped or yelled, we weren't bothering our neighbors. MY DH liked that our car was parked right at our doorstep.:thumbsup2

Ft-Wilderness-Cabin-C%2325610.jpg

Ft-Wilderness-Cabin-C%232561E.jpg

Ft-Wilderness-Cabin-C%232561F.jpg

Ft-Wilderness-Cabin-C%2325627.jpg

Ft-Wilderness-Cabin-C%2325626.jpg

Ft-Wilderness-Cabin-C%232561A.jpg

The Meadows Pool is now themed. It has a slide, a kids Splash Zone, and a hot tub:thumbsup2

FWVacJuly09060.jpg

P1010278.jpg

fw709039.jpg

Thank you all for the wonderful info you have been kind enough to share. It has really helped clarify things for us!! Any other opinions greatly appreciated!

We're also looking at the cabins for a family of 5... Are they eligible for the discount codes on rooms? If so, what are they considered? moderate? Thanks!

Wow, that is great to know that the pool at FW cabins is themed now! That was one of the minuses for us when looking at places to stay. Now that one is going back on the list! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter