Seeking advice for a nice night with my wife

MMD281

Earning My Ears
We're going to Disneyworld (shocking!) and we're thinking of leaving our little girl with one of the children activity centers on one evening and having a night out on our own. But what to do? Disney is so huge that all of my attempts at searching for what I want ends up with a ton of information to try to sort through. So I'm thinking that maybe some of you can help me cut to the chase.

We want to have dinner. We want to have access to adult beverages. We aren't so keen on seeing more fireworks (or anything similar) because we'll be doing plenty of that during the week already. We have varied musical interests, but swing music is where we overlap the most. Comedy clubs might be good, but I don't see any on property. We can't go anywhere with a dress code (sorry Artist's Point!) because we have no intention of carrying an extra set of clothes for just this. We are staying at the Pop Century Resort and totally dependent on Disney's transportation system.

So far, the best I've found in my searching is Jellyrollz and that might be just fine, but I'd like to see what my other options might be. The Blue Man Group looks interesting too, but I'm not really sure on how I'd get there and back again.

I hope this is enough to go on! Thanks!

Hi there, I think you and your wife can have a private night at a hotel so you can enjoy the night. Have set a romantic dinner with matching love song and I'm sure your wife will love it. Anyway, sleep concierge can help. Enlisting the services of a sleep assistant may seem odd at first, but business travelers should give it a chance. Getting to bed on time can give them the advantage they need.

disney had a comedy club at Pleasure Island but they closed it.

maybe going to POR - it has live entertainment - the guy has a website or did - so you can easily find out when he will be there.

think POFQ has something too.

or go to BW eat out in one of their restaurants - then go to Jelly rolls. this works especially well if you are leaving your child at BC.

or just walk around POP enjoy your dinner (much cheaper) - then go over to the pool bar.

you can even go to Epcot - and then do the gardens - most they are behind the countries - do adults thing that you would not bring the kids too - because they would get bored.

Ummm... that's a whole lot of abbreviations so I don't know what you're talking about for the most part. :) I'm thinking more and more that we will be eating on the Boardwalk (or at one of those neighboring resorts) and then going to Jellyrollz since there are two children's activity centers in that same area. I had considered maybe eating and/or hanging out in Epcot since it's attached too, but that would mean that I'd have to schedule this for the same day that we visit Epcot. Not impossible, but it may be an additional hassle I don't want to deal with.

I see that Club Dolphin has a deal if you eat at one of their restaurants, but then at least one of them has a dress code so that's out. I have to determine just how much more those restaurants cost too because it might be better to skip the discount and eat somewhere else. The other center is the Sandcastle Club. It costs more so I'm wondering how it's different. So far, all of the threads I've read said all of the centers are great and all of the kids enjoy them, but I still wonder how they differ.

I would vote for BW (Boardwalk). They have several excellent restaurants that you don't have to dress up for, then can walk over to Jelly Rolls - we didn't like Big River Grille, but really enjoyed Flying Fish, Kouzzina, and the sushi place in swan. I hear the Italian place in the Swan is also fantastic. The walk around the BW and even to the Epcot entrance is beautiful and very romantic. There are also a lot of little, quiet bars in each of the Epcot resorts that I love finding and having a drink in, even if it's just a soda. I still have to ask at each front desk, where their little bar is, but it's worth the effort. It's like a romantic scavenger hunt. I've been to all of them - BW, BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin. Swan and Dolphin's aren't hidden at all, they're right near the check-in desks.

One of our most magical nights alone was partially planned and partial luck. We had dinner at BoardWalk at the Flying Fish restaurant and then walked around the board walk when we came by the marina by Beach Club. They had a cancelation and the boat driver was already there and offered us a fireworks cruise over to EPCOT. Very romantic. You could plan for something like that. California Grill is really pretty at sunset too. Good luck and enjoy your time alone!

I don't really have suggestions, but I just wanted to point out something. Artist Point, (and other signature restaurants), don't really "force" the dress code policy.

We've been to Artist Point, and Flying Fish. Not only were DH and I wearing normal park clothes, but I looked around, and that's how everyone was dressed. T-shirts/polo shirts, jeans, and sneakers are fine. And a handful were even wearing shorts.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up incase you really wanted to eat at Artist Point. Wonderful food! And I even spotted a couple who both were wearing brand new Disney hoodies, with their jeans and sneakers, of course!

I think the purpose of the dress code is to steer anyone from wearing tank tops and stuff like that.

Thanks for the note on dress codes. I've booked us for Il Mulino while my little girl is at Camp Dolphin. We'll wander around the Boardwalk after dinner and probably hit Jellyrollz for a bit. We're going to be at Animal Kingdom all day beforehand so I think we'll probably return to our rooms to clean up a bit before dinner but maybe we'll stress about that a bit less now. :)

I think Boardwalk is a great choice! We have always enjoyed Flying Fish and it's nice to take a stroll around the boardwalk afterwards and then possibly do Jelly Rolls. You could also just hop on one of the boats and take a ride around the lagoon. Enjoy!

I thought I'd follow up now that we're back. We had a great time on our anniversary and our daughter loved the kid camp. :)

My DH and I just did this a week ago. We stayed at the AKL and put our kids in Simba's Club House for three hours. They LOVED it!!!! They played with other kids and got a kid friendly dinner. And we got an evening to ourselves! We LOVED it!!! We were a little worried about going too far so we ate at Boma and had some alone time....;)

Our kids loved it so much that next year we are thinking of doing maybe two nights and going to see La Nuba one night too.

Where ever you go, pick the kids club that is closest to where you are going to be that evening. So you can quickly get there if needed.

Consider going to the Grand Floridian - and going to Mizner's Lounge - its on the second level just behind the band stand where the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra plays each night and they are fantastic :cool1: They play a wide variety of stuff (trumpet, drums, clarinet, piano) and music ranges from Disney standards to broadway to even some jazz (request Take 5 by Dave Brubeck(? spelling) - you can order nibbles from Crtricos restaurant which is next door on the same level - no dress code - great bartenders and atmosphere - relaxing, adult night out:thumbsup2 Here's a pic of our two favorite bartenders there - and a great drink I've had on more than one occasion -
098.jpg

Mummmm - Mudslide
photo32.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter