• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

seeing the animals at night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Meagansmom

DIS Veteran
Do you have to be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge to view the animals at night? Where do you pick up a pair of the night goggles? Is there a certain time and place for this? Is this worth the trip over to the hotel? Is there a charge? Any advice or information?

The posted location will be in the lobby. It's usually at Uzima lookout if it's not raining. No charge. As to if non guests can view depends on how many resort guests are there. While staying at AKL I have heard CM ask non guests to wait untill AKL guests went. It was a busy night for some reason and it was during late August. They didn't turn non guests away, just asked them to wait. AKL guests have priority.

As to whether night viewing is worth the trip, it is a novel experience using night vision scope, but I've never been able to see many animals so :confused3. Having done it many times during our last 2 week stay there, I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. But if you happen to be dining at AKL check it out. Or if you just want the experience of using night vision. They are cool. Just don't go expecting to see loads of animals, you'll be disappointed.

It's usually at the Uzima Outlook, although one night when it was very cold (March) it was in the main lobby. CMs will have night vision goggles for visitors to use. It is a free activity open to everyone. Since there are only a couple of pairs of the goggles, how long you'll be able to use them depends on how many others are at the Outlook. Also, there might not be many animals on the savanna. We only saw 2 or 3.

It's a unique activity that is worth checking out if you are already at AKL in the evening, but I wouldn't make a special trip just for this.

We just went to AKL between Christmas and New Years to go to Boma. We really enjoyed eating at Boma and seeing the decorated AKL. I was underwhelmed with the night vision activity and would not go there just to do that activity. There were 2 animals at one spot and that was it. Very few other people wanting to use the night vision goggles. There are other activities that anyone can join such as a tour and stories at the firepit. You would need to call and get times.

We enjoyed it but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. That being said, the resort is lovely so I think you would enjoy visiting there plus night vision goggles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter