Seeing Dolphins or whales at sea?

disneyfamilyfive

Mouseketeer
Doing the 4 night Dream cruise in June. Has anyone ever seen dolphins or whales while cruising? Does this happen often or is a rarity?

Doing the 4 night Dream cruise in June. Has anyone ever seen dolphins or whales while cruising? Does this happen often or is a rarity?

Dolphins, not so rare. They (when they are around) tend to hang out close to the ship.

Whales, more difficult to see, but you can see them, if you look. They tend to be further out from the ship (like closer to the horizon), but it could be possible to see them.

When I was on the Disney Wonder in the Mexican Riviera I was lucky to catch the biggest pod of dolphins in my life (at least 300 or 400) and I spend a lot of time at sea being an avid scuba diver. I have also been fortunate enough to see many whales during many of my dive trips but the most diverse including a pod of killer whales was when I was on an Alaskan cruise (non-Disney). I have never seen dolphins or whales when sailing in the Atlantic Ocean but I am sure they are there.

We saw Dolphins during the sail away party as we were leaving Port Canaveral on the Fantasy on March break. My DH also saw them on one of sea days as he was running on the treadmill. Awesome to see !

We've seen dolphins on many of our cruises (TransAtlantic, Mexican Riviera, Hawaii, Panama Canal). Now, on the TransAtlantic, there weren't a lot of them, but they were there.

As to whales, the only times we saw them while onboard the ship, was on our Mexican Riviera cruise in Dec. And, except for one which was a bit closer, they were all almost to the horizon away from us. We saw them more up close on a small boat tour out of Cabo San Lucas.

This is the whale we saw, it was "caught" between two cruiseships:
25qzu48.jpg

15ysl5s.jpg

The only time I saw dolphins on our recent Western Caribbean cruise was while we were tendering in Grand Cayman.

Howe seen some dolphins when leaving PC. We saw numerous dolphins on the WBPC cruise. We have seen them on the Hawaii crusie as well. We saw several whales on our Alaska cruise last summer.

Dolphins were playing in the wake when we were sailing out of PC. We were way up near the front (12004) on our verandah as we left the mouth of the port and there was a dolphin doing tailspins next to the ship.

My wife loves dolphins, and we see them all the time when we go to the beach (have even been swimming with them in Key Largo several times) but she had never seen flying fish before. Whenever I try to point them out when we go out to the Gulf Stream to go fishing she misses them. She finally got to see a *lot* of them. That was the most excited I've seen her get in ages. :thumbsup2

Thank you everyone! I am so excited that I may have a chance to see one of these awesome creatures in it's natural habitat!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter