Security X-Ray for camcorder tapes.....?

1tufgt

DIS Veteran
Who here recently has taken a camcorder through security? It states on the TSA site that you need to take the camcorder and the laptop out to be screened. I know how to deal with the laptop as it needs it's own bin when going through the scanner but how about the camcorder? Can I place it in the same bin as the laptop?

Also what about the film? Will my miniDV tapes be safe going through the xray scanner? Also do I need to remove the tape that's currently in the camcorder out to go through the screener?

I'm planning on purchasing a camera / laptop backpack that I will use as my carry-on and was just curious how it all works. Oh I'll also have my DSLR with me too and also a point and shoot camera.

The tapes and memory chips will not be affected by the x-ray machines whether inside or outside the camera or camcorder.

The last time I flew to the US a TSA person told me that you only need to take out cameras and camcorders if they use film or tapes. Digital cameras and memory-based camcorders can stay in their bags. I wonder if this is still the case?:)

The last time I flew to the US a TSA person told me that you only need to take out cameras and camcorders if they use film or tapes. Digital cameras and memory-based camcorders can stay in their bags. I wonder if this is still the case?:)

Well my Canon HV30 still uses miniDV tapes so I guess I'll have to take it out.

Who here recently has taken a camcorder through security? It states on the TSA site that you need to take the camcorder and the laptop out to be screened. I know how to deal with the laptop as it needs it's own bin when going through the scanner but how about the camcorder? Can I place it in the same bin as the laptop?

Also what about the film? Will my miniDV tapes be safe going through the xray scanner? Also do I need to remove the tape that's currently in the camcorder out to go through the screener?

I'm planning on purchasing a camera / laptop backpack that I will use as my carry-on and was just curious how it all works. Oh I'll also have my DSLR with me too and also a point and shoot camera.

Unfortunately each electronic device that has to be taken out of the bag (not including cell phones, MP3/iPod players, etc.) has to be in a seperate bin through the security scanner.

Unfortunately each electronic device that has to be taken out of the bag (not including cell phones, MP3/iPod players, etc.) has to be in a seperate bin through the security scanner.
Ok so it wounds like I'll need a bin for the laptop and then camcorder but I should be able to keep my digital camera in my bag.

Since it uses miniDV you'll have to use another bin (annoying I know) but at least you know a head of time. so you can just place it in a bin and go through quickly.

Since it uses miniDV you'll have to use another bin (annoying I know) but at least you know a head of time. so you can just place it in a bin and go through quickly.

Alright sounds good. Just going to need a lot of bins for my 1 carry on backpack. LOL

Oh 1 more question. I'm taking extra miniDV tapes. Do they have to be removed and placed in the same bin as the camcorder?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter