Security and Little Ones

Ear plugs are a no-go so far, so we'll stick to her coverings.

Too bad about the foam plugs. Just make sure she knows that the coverings will have to come off when going through the metal detector, but she can always cover her ears (just don't put the elbows out so they hit the sides of the machine!). Soon enough she'll be reunited with her ear protection.

Where it can get complicated is if the first parent through gets chosen for add'l screening. If that happens, that parent may disappear from the child's line of sight and not be standing directly on the other side of the scanner.

We had that *almost* happen once. Actually, DH was taken aside, DS went through, and then they *almost* made me go, too. I was busy advocating for us, stating clearly, calmly, and in a somewhat carrying voice (so they didn't miss any of my words) that his dad was over there being wanded, and that I have a little guy and cannot be separated from him (as it states on the TSA page), when the lady behind me solved my mystery issue by reminding me that I was wearing a metal barrette. Yep, DH set off the machine with his shorts zipper, and my Goody brand 1.5" barrette set off the machines that day. The detectors were set to 11 that day at LAX...

So it wasn't ultimately an issue, but I wasn't going to *let* it become an issue either, as I knew to calmly stand up for my son's right to be safe.

Yeah, anything *in* the ears has been a deal breaker. I'd love to get her earplanes too.

We do have the advantage of 3 adults to 1 child, which I imagine will help. The odds of DH, DS and I all getting selected for extra screening seems slim.

What's the ruling on little ones in strollers? Do they have to come out? If she's visibly stressed (holding her ears and rocking with her head between her knees) are they going to insist? I mean, she may be totally fine or she may have a sensory meltdown. It's so unpredictable.

Yes, children have to get out of strollers. Check the TSA's website; they have good information about going through security with children.

A lot of the bigger airports have family lines for security for families with little ones. These are great lines and every experience I had the TSA agents seemed to be a bit more patient. I know for certain Philly and MCO have them.

We had that *almost* happen once. Actually, DH was taken aside, DS went through, and then they *almost* made me go, too. I was busy advocating for us, stating clearly, calmly, and in a somewhat carrying voice (so they didn't miss any of my words) that his dad was over there being wanded, and that I have a little guy and cannot be separated from him (as it states on the TSA page), when the lady behind me solved my mystery issue by reminding me that I was wearing a metal barrette. Yep, DH set off the machine with his shorts zipper, and my Goody brand 1.5" barrette set off the machines that day. The detectors were set to 11 that day at LAX...

So it wasn't ultimately an issue, but I wasn't going to *let* it become an issue either, as I knew to calmly stand up for my son's right to be safe.

Happened to us in the first week of the enhanced airport security post-911. The agents clearly had no protcol for handling it. I quietly stood my ground and ask that our 5 year old be allowed through, then they could allow her to come with me for the pat down or allow my wife through and then I would go for the pat down, but that they must not leave my 5 year old standing alone.

The entire screening line shut down and 300 people stood looking at me, the potential terrorist. Agents talked back and forth through their radios. Finally a supervisor gave the OK for her to accompany me to the pat down.

Bottom line is they cannot separate a young child from all adults and their rules state this now.

I also have a major problem with separating people from their valuables waiting at the scanner exit as a dozen people pass by... not to mention the stellar record of the TSA at theft within their ranks.

Where it can get complicated is if the first parent through gets chosen for add'l screening. If that happens, that parent may disappear from the child's line of sight and not be standing directly on the other side of the scanner. To compensate for this, what we normally did when the kids were little was to let Parent A go through well ahead, with 4-5 other passengers between Parent A and the first child in your party. That way, if there is any issue, Parent A should finish with the screening and be back waiting at the end of the line by the time the child comes through.

Good advice. We travel a lot and what we do is parent #1 (usually me) goes through with DS and parent #2 comes behind. Parent #1 is in charge of the child(ren) only, parent #2 takes care of the baggage.

Oh, and one other thing: right before you enter the security line, take the family to the side and do a "turn out your pockets" check on all of the children. (And have Dad empty his pocket contents ahead of time into a baggie for his carryon, so he can better concentrate on keeping track of Jr.) I've seen kids wanded many times because they have slipped something like a Hotwheels car into a pocket without Mom or Dad knowing, often after finding it in the back seat of the car on the way to the airport. This is also a good time to "tuck in" any stuffed animals in a carryon bag, as they cannot be carried through security, and kids often find it traumatic to be forced to let go of a "friend" to have it travel through that rattle-y security equipment all alone.

Yep, this happened to us, a metal toy got wedged in a seam of his bag. Thankfully, it was 5am and the check point was nearly empty.

The Ziploc bag method is a good one. DS is only allowed to take whatever fits into a Ziploc bag of my choosing. (Different sizes for different destinations) It keeps his carry-on organized, helps prevent loss and keeps everything visable.

A lot of the bigger airports have family lines for security for families with little ones. These are great lines and every experience I had the TSA agents seemed to be a bit more patient. I know for certain Philly and MCO have them.

I agree. When our son became old enough to walk through on his own, I would have him walk through first and tell him to wait off the mat. Some lines have circles (I remember green stickers) on the floor where the TSA agent will have the child stand. A couple of times he was given a stick-on badge.

We have 50+ TSA experiences under our belts and I can say, agents were always professional and family-friendly. Never did they try to separate either my husband or I from our son. The one time my husband was singled out, it wasn't an issue because we had our plan in place.

I also have a major problem with separating people from their valuables waiting at the scanner exit as a dozen people pass by... not to mention the stellar record of the TSA at theft within their ranks.

So do I. I personally know someone who had things stolen from their carry-on by the luggage scanner agents.

I err on the side of caution. I use small zip ties to fasten our camera to the inside of my carry-on. We split our cash and credit cards and put them in small ziplocs, which get tucked into a pocket or into my bra. This has worked for us so far and doesn't set off the detector.

Good ideas cleaopenn.... I always empty my pockets into my carryon but choose a place I can get then back quickly... maybe I should be burying them instead. Can't help for my laptop, sitting in a bin all alone there...

We have always gone through the metal detector when we are with the kids vs. the one that does the body scan. If the child can walk they will ask you to put them down so they can walk through on their own.

Funny story, last year one of my twins came down sick our very last day and had spent the entire day vomiting with a fever. We get to the metal detector and the TSA agent tells me I have to put him down. I explain that he's very sick and weak and won't be able to walk through on his own. The agent obviously didn't believe me and rolled his eyes while he tells another agent what I told him in a very unbelieving and annoyed tone of voice. The other agent (also in an annoyed disbelieving tone) tells him to just let me through carrying him. I go through and we pause just in front of the first agent and my 2 year old projectile vomits right there in front of him. I still laugh when I think of the look on his face, lol.

Aside from that we've never had an issue with security. The kids leave their shoes on and walk through on their own. I once had to have a complete check of all of my bags and a pat down but they didn't touch the kids.

We have always gone through the metal detector when we are with the kids vs. the one that does the body scan. If the child can walk they will ask you to put them down so they can walk through on their own.

Funny story, last year one of my twins came down sick our very last day and had spent the entire day vomiting with a fever. We get to the metal detector and the TSA agent tells me I have to put him down. I explain that he's very sick and weak and won't be able to walk through on his own. The agent obviously didn't believe me and rolled his eyes while he tells another agent what I told him in a very unbelieving and annoyed tone of voice. The other agent (also in an annoyed disbelieving tone) tells him to just let me through carrying him. I go through and we pause just in front of the first agent and my 2 year old projectile vomits right there in front of him. I still laugh when I think of the look on his face, lol.

Aside from that we've never had an issue with security. The kids leave their shoes on and walk through on their own. I once had to have a complete check of all of my bags and a pat down but they didn't touch the kids.

Is it wrong that I hope the kid got the agent's shoes? That's probably wrong, huh? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter