Secrets & Little Known Facts about rides

I dont know, its pretty darn close....

31714482.jpg

I thought a nautilus was this:

1z3pb48.jpg

But there might be two types of nautili.

I thought a nautilus was this:

1z3pb48.jpg

But there might be two types of nautili.

We're talking about THE Nautilus, as in Captain Nemo's submarine. As an added bit of trivia, THAT nautilus was named after the submarine (by Jacques Cousteau if I remember correctly...)

The reason it makes sense is that Pooh's Playful Spot covers a part of what was the 20k Leagues Under The Sea attraction.

You know the last part of the Haunted Mansion ride where you step off.... well, what happens if you stay on? Isnt there some room in there that you would see between the unloading area and the loading area?

Anyone know? Anyone ever stayed on to find out? :3dglasses

Its just a dark curve and then its the regular loading area - they usually load wheelchair people thru the exit and since we travel with a family mem. in a wheelchair that is how I know. Nothing impressive between the unload to the load, just a dark curve.

Now where it gets cool is there is a hallway where they take people who are more mobile and able to stand in the stretch room after getting out of the wheelchairs, and the hallway is themed, the lighting is low, there are several doors with things written on them, a bell thingy on the wall, etc. Now that was cool to see!

That hallway is also where they hold celebrities ... it's amazing the detail they put into an area considered "backstage."

You know the last part of the Haunted Mansion ride where you step off.... well, what happens if you stay on? Isnt there some room in there that you would see between the unloading area and the loading area?
It's just a dark curve -- there's really nothing at all to see in there. Because some guests with mobility issues load at the exit, a safety spiel also plays inside the Doombuggies ("Please keep your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the car at all times. And watch your children, please.")
That hallway is also where they hold celebrities ... it's amazing the detail they put into an area considered "backstage."
As a guest-accessible area, that hallway is definitely "on-stage".

We're talking about THE Nautilus, as in Captain Nemo's submarine. As an added bit of trivia, THAT nautilus was named after the submarine (by Jacques Cousteau if I remember correctly...)
The Nautilus was named in the 1870 book Vingt Mille Lieues Sous les Mers (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) by French author Jules Verne. Verne, in turn, named it after the first practical submarine, constructed by American inventor Robert Fulton in France in 1800.

I could be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Cousteau's signature ship (not a submarine) was the RV Calypso, a 1941 Minesweeper.

Haunted Mansion Hidden Mickey Find!!!

ok about half way through, there is a big spider on a web on the left side. He is wearing a red Mickey tie on his back. There are two spiders in the Mansion. The spider that has the Mickey tie on its back is the 2nd spider.

good luck!:thumbsup2

ok about half way through, there is a big spider on a web on the left side. He is wearing a red Mickey tie on his back. There are two spiders in the Mansion. The spider that has the Mickey tie on its back is the 2nd spider.
There are no spiders in the Haunted Mansion, and haven't been for well over a year now.

Haunted Mansion Hidden Mickey Find!!!

good luck!:thumbsup2

Are you talking about the really big spiders that were actually early on? If so, they are no longer there, having been replaced in the recent rehab by the Escher staircases...I'm not aware of other spiders.

The Nautilus was named in the 1870 book Vingt Mille Lieues Sous les Mers (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) by French author Jules Verne. Verne, in turn, named it after the first practical submarine, constructed by American inventor Robert Fulton in France in 1800.

I admit that I was unaware that the original submarine was called the Nautilus.

I could be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Cousteau's signature ship (not a submarine) was the RV Calypso, a 1941 Minesweeper.

Cousteau's own exploration ship was the Calypso. But I thought he named the animal for the Verne submarine, but it could have been the original as well.

But I thought he named the animal for the Verne submarine, but it could have been the original as well.
Neither, actually. Nautili (?) have been around for literally millions of years, relatively unchanged or unevolved. The name comes from the Greek word for "sailor", ναυτίλος.

So while we're on the topic of the Nautilus, and to get back to our current thread...

In the now-extinct WDW attraction "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Submarine Voyage", one of the show scenes depicted a Giant Squid tearing apart another Nautilus submarine (the helmsman, Baxter [named for Imagineer Tony Baxter] yelled to Captain Nemo, "It's one of ours, sir!"). The number on the side of the ill-fated vessel: XIII (or 13) -- probably because of the "unlucky" connotation, although there were 12 actual ride vehicles.

All However, I also remember it being a walk-through, so I think that it was in DLRP.

HAHA dude, I think movie walk throughs are so funny......When my friends and I went through the Aladdin walk-through at DLRP, we were so amused that it was just that....and we called it a "walking tour of Aladdin" for the rest of our trip HA

But on 20,000, I remember that I rode it before it closed, but I don't remember much else....

Are you talking about the really big spiders that were actually early on? If so, they are no longer there, having been replaced in the recent rehab by the Escher staircases...I'm not aware of other spiders.
This wasn't addressed to me, but those big ugly orange spiders are also on the Haunted Mansion video game (PS2). They are a PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! The were also {In my humble opinion} one of the worse effects/props Disney ever used ANYWHERE!!! They were SOOOOO bogus!!!:rotfl2::lmao::lmao: I for one am glad they are gone! The new HM is AWESOME!!! There have been changes to rides in the past that I hated (like the new Mexico ride, and the POTC changes) but the changes to the Haunted Mansion were among the best that Disney has ever made to any ride.:thumbsup2
I wonder if those big ugly spiders will wind up on SellNShip or MouseSurplus.:confused3 Or, perhaps on the Jungle Cruise beside the 12" (or should I say Foot Long?) butterflies.

I wonder if those big ugly spiders will wind up on SellNShip or MouseSurplus.:confused3 Or, perhaps on the Jungle Cruise beside the 12" (or should I say Foot Long?) butterflies.
At least one of the Spiders did... but he's in the Forbidden Temple, not the Amazon Rain Forest (where he joins another spider that was there before the HM Refurb).

Our Imagineers did not develop it... just like Primeval Whirl we bought it from an outside source. Trust me, you do not want to know the dirt behind PW - that attraction has some serious issues! ;)

PLEASE, pretty pretty please, Do tell!! I read most of this thread last week and came back today hoping to find out more!
Emily

PLEASE, pretty pretty please, Do tell!! I read most of this thread last week and came back today hoping to find out more!
Emily

I rode it for the first time in a while yesterday, and despite the work they did on it it still jerked around and was pretty painful. I don't know if they only rehabbed one or both sides - it was the same (right) side as the first time I rode in 2006, although last week they were using just the left side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter