• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Secret things in the countries

gilby

DIS Veteran
I was reading a post the other night about secret or hidden things in the countries that people miss, what hidden things should I be looking for in the countries.

I don't know if the poster was referring to rides. Some countries have small rides or movies or some sort of show.

Characters. I can't tell you how many times I came across a character at MK and DD decided the line was to long since we'd already seen that particular character in the countries, and parents all around us who overheard the discussion freaked out. I guess eventhough there are those mickey fingers on the map and times listed in the times guide, people don't think to head there. And the lines were pretty short for all of them, 5-10 min.

The historian in me says the "secrets" are in all the little details. I know that allears gives a good list of details, country by country.

I second the character idea! There are so many in the World Showcase & it is not only the Fab 5! This time we plan to spend time over there just to look for characters. My DD is all about them!! Great post idea by the way!!

Check out the "four" in the clock at the American Pavilion. It's IIII and not IV which is how the Roman numerals were done back in those years. Very, very minor detail since you have to look up at the clock on the top of the building.

As you walk into Germany, check out the interior of the shops to your left. Start in the wine shop and walk toward World Showcase Lagoon. You'll notice that the first room is designed to look like you're in the basement, then in the next, adjoining shop, you're on the first floor in the kitchen, then in the living room. As you keep making your way toward World Showcase Lagoon, you'll eventually be in the attic -- complete with squeaky floor boards.

In England, consider the name of the restaurant and look at its sign closely. Not many people knew how to read and write back in the day, so the pub had a name that could be found without knowing how to read -- the sign has a picture of a rose and a crown to denote the name of the restaurant.

In England, take a look at the pattern in the pavement. It's made to represent where the gutters would have been.

In China, the shops and the courtyard around those shops are quite small, yet the Reflections of China movie lets out right into them. Everyone forces their way into the shops and courtyard at once, and it becomes quite crowded... like an actual market in China. This was actually planned.

In France, forced perspective is used to make the Eifel Tower appear to be in the distance. In reality, it's quite small. It's coated in a gooey substance to keep birds from landing on it, because if they did, it would look like an attack of a Godzilla-sized bird.

The bell tower in Italy is a replica of the actual tower in St Mark's square. However, if you were to travel to the actual St Mark's square, you'd notice that the one in Epcot is on the wrong side of the square. (Oops.)

In Morocco, look very closely at all the intricate tile designs on walls, fountains, and the like. In every single one, you'll find a mistake -- a tile or piece that doesn't seem to match the pattern. This is done deliberately by the Moroccan artisans who were flown in to do the tilework, because only Allah can achieve perfection.

In China, you'll find statues of two dragons sitting side by side. If you look closely, you'll be able to tell which is the male dragon and which is the female. No, they're not anatomically correct! The male dragon has his paw resting on a ball -- representing the flower of life. Under the female's paw is a baby dragon.

Forced perspective is used throughout Disney World. In the Magic Kingdom, it's used to make the castle and buildings on Main Street look bigger than they really are. The same is true of the Eiffel Tower in France, as I've already mentioned. However, the American Adventure Pavilion is one example of forced perspective being used in the opposite manner. Take a look at the size of the windows on the first floor of the pavilion -- they're huge. As they go up, they get smaller. This is done because the size required for the theater is much larger than the colonial-style buildings the pavilion is made to resemble would have ever been. In this case, forced perspective is used to make a five story building look like a two story building.

Only three pavilions in the World Showcase have locations that were chosen for a specific purpose. The American Adventure Pavilion was obviously placed in the center of Epcot to make it the centerpiece. Mexico and Canada were the other two specifically placed. Can you guess why? As you leave Future World and enter the World showcase, you're "leaving" Florida and the United States. When you do that, you cross the border into one of the two countries that share a border with the continental United States -- Canada or Mexico.

Back stage tours are so much fun -- you learn all kinds of neat trivia like this. I'm sure I heard more, but this is what came back to me on the fly.

Thanks for all the tips, I am so excited to go in september. I like hearing the little things to look that people miss.

As you walk into Germany, ...Back stage tours are so much fun -- you learn all kinds of neat trivia like this. I'm sure I heard more, but this is what came back to me on the fly.

I didn't want to copy the whole quote, but that was a really great post! THANKS for the info! :thumbsup2

The WS is as good a place as any to look for hidden Mickeys! They are all over: gold plates in display in Morocco, the murals for the Maelstrom queue.

In France, do look at the stained glass windows near the perfume shop (behind it I think) they tell the story of Beauty and the Beast; a red rose is the giveaway.

My favorite was Morocco. As you are walking through the town it feels as though you are really there. There is also a photo op in one of the shops. They have set up a mural with pillows and a flying carpet.

Thank you BirdsOfPreyDave! I'm taking my Mom in October and pointing out these things will be so much fun!

My favorite was Morocco. As you are walking through the town it feels as though you are really there. There is also a photo op in one of the shops. They have set up a mural with pillows and a flying carpet.

This would be the one...:thumbsup2

Disney234.jpg

neat, i had no idea about this one!

Which tour was this?
Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase Tour. When we did it a few years ago, it was one of the tours offered to the general public. Now it appears to only be offered through the Disney Institute, which caters to conventions and large business groups. You can still book it, but only if you have a large enough group to meet the minimum requirement (20 people).

Here's the link: http://www.disneyinstitute.com/pdf/HiddenTreasures.pdf?size=206821

What a bummer, I'd have loved to do that tour sometime. Only way we'll ever have a group of 20 there is if my daughter decides to get married at Disney. Then again, she's only 11. Who knows what the future holds. :confused3 :rotfl:

OMG, of all the times I have toured the shops in Germany, I NEVER knew that it was supposed to be like you were going through rooms of a house:confused3 Thats the coolest thing ever!!! I cant wait to go back to the Germany pavillion just to check that out!

Thanks for the tip:bitelip:

Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase Tour. When we did it a few years ago, it was one of the tours offered to the general public. Now it appears to only be offered through the Disney Institute, which caters to conventions and large business groups. You can still book it, but only if you have a large enough group to meet the minimum requirement (20 people).

Here's the link: http://www.disneyinstitute.com/pdf/HiddenTreasures.pdf?size=206821

Do you think there is a way around this limit? Could you talk with other families ahead of time to book together as a group of 20? Do you have to be a member of the Disney Institute or anything?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter