Second Thoughts

joeathome167

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip to FW in December with DW, DS9, DS6 and DD4. We have stayed on site twice before 2005 in All Star and 2007 in AKL. We are not campers and the reason we are staying in a FW cabin is because we have 5 and there are limited places you can be with 5 and we didn't like the All Star last time. Our AAA Agent suggested this place as a less expensive alternative. But now I'm having second thoughts about getting to and from the parks. We will not have a car and am worried about being isolated. Anybody with previous experience and good info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will you be renting a golf cart? Just be aware that you will be using buses to get around even in the Fort and plan your time accordingly. I never feel isolated at the Fort.

We have stayed at the Cabins several times and although we had a car we never used it for Disney, we just used the buses and had no problems..

Staying at the Fort is NOTHING to be WORRIED about...as a matter of fact, your AAA agent has done you a major favor by turning you on to the Fort. The kids will LOVE being there...its simply the best resort Disney has to offer,especially when kids are involved.

One suggestion, though...instead of renting a cabin because of the # in your party,look into renting a camper. www.CampAtTheFort.com has a beautiful, large roomy 5th wheel camper that they deliver to your Fort Wilderness site and set up for you, show you how everything works, and then they return when the vacation is over and take it away...all you have to do is show up and move in, just like if you were renting a cabin. Im renting from her in October(even though I have my own camper...this way I dont have tomake the 550 mile tow,and the camper she rents is MUCH nicer and roomier than mine, it sleeps up to 9 ppl!!!) and am so excited about it I can hardly wait. Its less expensive than cabin rental, and opens up the entire campground in terms of where you may get located at within the campground.

If the dates you are looking to travel on are already booked, check with www.MakeCampingEasy.com , they offer the same service as well. Both website owners are regulars here on the Dis Camping boards and come highly recommeded.

The fort has SO MANY ACTIVITIES that Im pretty sure it will end up being your families favorite vacation spot after you visit once. We rented the cabins for the exact same reasons as you a few years back...I barely knew the Fort even existed,other than the HoooptyDo Review and Mickeys BackYard BarBQ....but one visit and we were completely hooked and we now own a small camper and a golf cart to bring with us so that we never HAVE to stay at another resort!!

Relax...the best thing that couldve happened to you has just happened...you just dont know it yet!!

Staying at the Fort is NOTHING to be WORRIED about...as a matter of fact, your AAA agent has done you a major favor by turning you on to the Fort. The kids will LOVE being there...its simply the best resort Disney has to offer,especially when kids are involved.

One suggestion, though...instead of renting a cabin because of the # in your party,look into renting a camper. www.CampAtTheFort.com has a beautiful, large roomy 5th wheel camper that they deliver to your Fort Wilderness site and set up for you, show you how everything works, and then they return when the vacation is over and take it away...all you have to do is show up and move in, just like if you were renting a cabin. Im renting from her in October(even though I have my own camper...this way I dont have tomake the 550 mile tow,and the camper she rents is MUCH nicer and roomier than mine, it sleeps up to 9 ppl!!!) and am so excited about it I can hardly wait. Its less expensive than cabin rental, and opens up the entire campground in terms of where you may get located at within the campground.

If the dates you are looking to travel on are already booked, check with www.MakeCampingEasy.com , they offer the same service as well. Both website owners are regulars here on the Dis Camping boards and come highly recommeded.

The fort has SO MANY ACTIVITIES that Im pretty sure it will end up being your families favorite vacation spot after you visit once. We rented the cabins for the exact same reasons as you a few years back...I barely knew the Fort even existed,other than the HoooptyDo Review and Mickeys BackYard BarBQ....but one visit and we were completely hooked and we now own a small camper and a golf cart to bring with us so that we never HAVE to stay at another resort!!

Relax...the best thing that couldve happened to you has just happened...you just dont know it yet!!

If I could respectfully disagree with the RV rental - if you haven't been camping before, and are used to hotel rooms, then I think the cabin is the right choice for you.

Everything else - I totally agree with!

It's Disney,,don't matter where you stay,,,,they want your money,,they are not gonna leave you stranded.

Have a good time.

I know there may be a difference in opinion, but I'd have to agree with BigDaddyRog on this one. I truly think you and your familly will be very comfortable in a 5th wheel, maybe more so than even the cabins. Plus, it's a savings. If you have any doubt, I'd suggest a quick trip to a local RV store with the family. Find a 5th wheel with a similar layout to the one offered by campatthefort and see what your family thinks. Trust me, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

We are also a family of 5. The hotel room issue is a constant challenge. Stick around this board, I think you'll find that Fort Wilderness is one of Disney's best kept secrets. With the money you'd save renting a camper, you'll be able to rent a golf cart.... once you do that, you won't want to stay anywhere else. The golf carts are just plain fun!

T-I like the difference in the price and then going for a golf cart! There will be alot of Decorations in the loops plus the cart gives you alot less wait time (waiting on a internal bus). You should check that option out!

We are avid campers but as another family of 5, I'll just add that in the past we've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in the Alligator Bayou section. Most rooms there have a trundle bed and will hold 5 people, and those rooms are less expensive than the FW cabins. If you spend a lot of time at your resort, you'd probably be happier at the Fort (simply more room in the cabin) but if money is a real issue, I think POR is the least expensive option for 5 (short of actually camping at a campsite!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter