Second guessing my hotel choice

JoanieCricket

Earning My Ears
We are planning a week long trip to WDW August 3rd - 10th. It'll be hot, we know, but we're from Phoenix, so hopefully we can make it! But that's the only time we can go and hopefully many kids will start returning back to school (our kids go later).

We currently are booked in AoA Car Suite. But my DH just threw a bomb in my OCD planning - "what about the Wilderness Lodge?" he says. Argh!!:confused3

Pros of AoA: I've read the unofficial guide to WDW and appreciate the nap emphasis so I like the suite for that aspect - I can put the kids to bed for a nap and my DH and I can still hang out and watch tv, etc.

Cons of AoA: We've never stayed on property before but I wonder will AoA appear "value"? This is our only vacation this year and I really want it to be nice and relaxing. I hope that's okay to say/ask.

Pros of WL: The whole hotel is pretty nice looking. They have a couple of bars, more dining and recreation options.

Cons of WL: No suite. So, if we come back for naps, we may have to tiptoe around the kids while they nap. Which, there is no guarantee they will even nap. DS is 9 and DD is 6.

I'm so torn. I really need a DIS veteran to help me decide. Pretty please:wave2:

I would go with WL in a heartbeat. It is a beautiful resort and is very close to MK. The boat is a great way to travel to and from MK and the bus ride is literally 5 minutes. The WL is all inside so there's no getting soaked getting to your room or grabbing something to eat during one of the daily rain showers. With your kids ages, do you think they will realistically nap even at AoA? I know our DS was done with midday naps at WDW by age 5. IMHO, just having down time at the resort swimming or laying around the room in the AC is better than a nap. The rooms at WL have balconies so if the kids do nap, you and DH could enjoy a drink on the balcony. The WL pool has a slide and hot tub which AoA does not. WL is also very close to Ft. Wilderness and I think your kids would enjoy Chip and Dales nightly campfire sing along. I know our DS12 has always liked it.

You will be at Disney after all, and either way I think you'll have a good time. But since you are asking for opinions, that's mine. :thumbsup2

Make sure you check out the WL FAQ Thread that is wonderfully put together by WDWKOOK.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201827

I would go with WL in a heartbeat. It is a beautiful resort and is very close to MK. The boat is a great way to travel to and from MK and the bus ride is literally 5 minutes. The WL is all inside so there's no getting soaked getting to your room or grabbing something to eat during one of the daily rain showers. With your kids ages, do you think they will realistically nap even at AoA? I know our DS was done with midday naps at WDW by age 5. IMHO, just having down time at the resort swimming or laying around the room in the AC is better than a nap. The rooms at WL have balconies so if the kids do nap, you and DH could enjoy a drink on the balcony. The WL pool has a slide and hot tub which AoA does not. WL is also very close to Ft. Wilderness and I think your kids would enjoy Chip and Dales nightly campfire sing along. I know our DS12 has always liked it.

You will be at Disney after all, and either way I think you'll have a good time. But since you are asking for opinions, that's mine. :thumbsup2

Make sure you check out the WL FAQ Thread that is wonderfully put together by WDWKOOK.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201827

I agree 100%. AoA is just like a value resort, same thing, bigger room in the suite but that's it. It does not appeal to me at all. Wilderness lodge on the other hand is much nicer and it's a beautiful resort.

Having said that, we normally always stay at Port Orleans Riverside and our new favorite Coronado Springs resort. Look at those too. They are cheaper than a suite at AoA and much nicer to me, and cheaper than WL.

While both would be nice, I'd go with WL. Although the big, iconic figures and bright colors are fun at the values, they're also sensory overload after a full day at the parks. We've always been able to relax while staying at a moderate or deluxe, but not at the value. It's just crowded & noisier. (That's just our experience)
Will your kids at their age still take a nap? If they will, as someone else mentioned, you could sit on the balcony at WL. There's no way mine would take a midday nap, but you might consider pool time or some of the recreation activities as a break from the parks.
Either way, each resort has its perks and you'll enjoy it. I think the key I saw in your post is that you would like your trip to be nice and relaxing. If that's what you're looking for, I'd choose WL.

If you had little babies/toddlers who required a nap, I'd say the suite. But my kids never napped at those ages at Disney (or at home), even if they were super tired. As soon as they came back to the hotel, they wanted to swim--not sleep--and my guess is that your kids will beg you to do the same.

If you are concerned about them getting tired, plan early bedtimes or plan a resort day midway through your vacation where they can get in enough swimming in the morning and maybe take a rest in the room in the afternoon where they'd hopefully fall asleep and then you can hit a park for the evening.

P.S. And I'd choose WL over AOA. :)

We are planning a week long trip to WDW August 3rd - 10th. It'll be hot, we know, but we're from Phoenix, so hopefully we can make it! But that's the only time we can go and hopefully many kids will start returning back to school (our kids go later).

We currently are booked in AoA Car Suite. But my DH just threw a bomb in my OCD planning - "what about the Wilderness Lodge?" he says. Argh!!:confused3

Pros of AoA: I've read the unofficial guide to WDW and appreciate the nap emphasis so I like the suite for that aspect - I can put the kids to bed for a nap and my DH and I can still hang out and watch tv, etc.

Cons of AoA: We've never stayed on property before but I wonder will AoA appear "value"? This is our only vacation this year and I really want it to be nice and relaxing. I hope that's okay to say/ask.

Pros of WL: The whole hotel is pretty nice looking. They have a couple of bars, more dining and recreation options.

Cons of WL: No suite. So, if we come back for naps, we may have to tiptoe around the kids while they nap. Which, there is no guarantee they will even nap. DS is 9 and DD is 6.

I'm so torn. I really need a DIS veteran to help me decide. Pretty please:wave2:

My choice would be the WL. We've never stayed at AoA, but we've had 2 great stays at the WL as it's one of our favorites. As dansdad posted, all rooms have a balcony, so if your kids do nap, you and your DH can sit out on the balcony. Good luck with your decision.

WL.

Last year we went to MK 7:30am. Midday I wanted to go back to the resort to freshen up and nap so we could stay for extra hours. My kids 14 and 15 didn't want to leave. I bribbed them with 20 each. We went back and took naps. We went back to the park around 7:00 and stayed till 3. On the way back, they thanked me for suggesting the naps and said they never would of made it without. They were just talking the other day and said that's the plan this year.
Maybe you will want a nap too :)

Yep WL no doubt. Or rent a VWL 1BR for the 2 rooms, kitchen,W&D etc.

I would pick AOA. Your kids will love the cars suite. WL is beautiful but the rooms are really not that much better. I did not get a value feeling at AOA. The suite will have a lot of space. You have two TV's which is nice. The pools are fun. The master shower is really big and very nice. The view outside our window was so cute. We really missed it when we arrived home. It's a nice walk to Pop if you want to look around or eat in the food court there. My kids loved AOA.

Another vote for WL--and I've never even stayed there! I'm the self professed Queen of the values, but one stay at AoA was enough for me.

I've never had issues with in room noise, but it was marked at AoA, day or night and the food court was pure BEDLAM at any hour. If you want your kids down for a nap, I would go anywhere but AoA.

Hi I would go with the cars suite at AOA. Having that extra room is very nice. We had a room like that when our DD was smaller and it was really nice to have.

Good luck.:)

Either would be nice but I'll say this: on our honeymoon my wife had a wardrobe malfunction at MK and everything was going wrong. We went into shops looking for an expensive replacement so we didn't have to go back to our room. We couldn't find anything so she said "let's just go back. I need a break anyway." (It was hot & lines were long because we did the KTTK tour that morning so we got a late start on rides) We rode the boat over, changed clothes, ate a sandwich in the room, relaxed for a short while, and headed back. It was like a whole new day. So convenient. And such a beautiful resort.

Personally, I would choose the cheapest of those two resorts because I'm cheap.

However, if you are thinking of choosing AofA because of the possibility that your children may nap, I would choose Wilderness lodge. That being said, I bet you will love either resort.....so choose your cheapest option and save a few bucks. :goodvibes

Haven't stayed at WL but we love AoA & will be staying there for the 2nd time during our spring break trip.

We like having the extra space including bathroom. DH & I stayed at a value resort without the kids & AoA doesn't have the same value feel. The attention to detail is amazing. No hot tub or slide but still has great pools & the buses work fine for us.

CAN'T WAIT to go back to AoA!!!

I would go with AoA. I think the kids will love the cars suite and the resort as a whole. It's very cool looking. I also think you guys will appreciate the extra space when staying for an entire week.

I love Wilderness Lodge especially at christmas but when my son was younger he even preferred POR over WL. Whenever we stayed at a value or moderate we always requested ground floor. Really enjoyed being able to just open the door to the outside and let my son run around and play by the pools, playgrounds, or just out in the open for that matter.

I love WL :goodvibes- especially in the summer - it's hot and sunny outside - and cool, dark and relaxing in the lodge. The boat is a nice way to travel back and forth when it is hot too.

Before I booked though, I might see if a one bedroom villa might be available at WL by renting points - though I know they may be few and far between in August. I also might consider Fort Wilderness cabins for the space - though it is more of a campground atmosphere.

At the end of the day - any place at Disney is Disney. AOA is a nicely themed resort. Have a great trip whatever you decide!

AoA.
We've stayed at both. WL is beautiful, but for a family you can't beat the two rooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchenette at AoA. The suites are wonderful, we've done both Nemo and Lion King and walked the whole resort. The Cars theming is really cool.

I've stayed at the AoA in the Cars suite, and I also love the deluxe hotels. The family suites at the AoA are very nice. You get a lot more room, and the big blue pool is nothing like anything at any other value resort. I've never stayed at WL, but I have stayed at the AKL. The rooms at both those resorts are pretty small. A LOT smaller than at the other deluxe hotels. If space is something you want, then stick with the AoA. My family loved that there were two bathrooms and a separate bedroom for the grownups. It made the evenings much more pleasant. We adored the pool, especially when we realized we could see the Epcot fireworks while swimming one night.

The other amenities will be better at the WL - pool slide, restaurants, etc.

AoA.

I have stayed at both. WL is beautiful but it can be noisy with the food areas and the pool, depending on where your room is located. We took our DS when he was 3. He didn't nap a lick- Mommy and Daddy sure did, though.
AoA can also be noisy, depending on room, but we stayed in Cars Suite and didn't have a problem- lots of space for an 7 yr old and a 15 yr old.

Either is great but for the money- AoA. You never know how kids are going to be. The food court is also really good.

You could split your stay and try both. ;) Between the two, I would go with WL. Proximity to MK will be great for your mid-day break and it's a beautiful resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter