Second guessing departure day

KristiT

Mouseketeer
My family is going to WDW for our first Christmas visit and are going to be at the Wilderness Lodge 12/16/17 - 12/26/17. I originally thought leaving to go home on 12/26 would be fine, but my mom has made me second guess this decision as she thinks the roads will be packed with everyone going back home from wherever they've been. She thinks we shouldn't leave until 12/27. As we all live in the same city, we have absolutely no experience with Christmas traveling crowds. Would really appreciate opinions from people who have experience with this. Should I keep our departure date at 12/26 or should I change it to 12/27? :confused3

That trip sounds amazing! Wilderness Lodge at Christmas is unbelievable! Before you make any decisions, it may be best to see if there is even an extra night available at WL. It's an extremely popular resort during the holidays, and half of the rooms are now DVC which makes it even harder! Maybe that could help to be a deciding factor! I can't give any advice on travel, because we fly to Orlando. Have fun on your vacation!

I agree with PP. I would check to see if there is any availability at WL first before you change anything. IMHO, travel is going to be tough that entire week. Dec. 25 - Dec. 31 is the busiest travel time in Orlando. I don't think it's going to make much of a difference. We once arrived on Dec. 25 and departed on Dec. 30 and it really wasn't bad going either way. MCO is an international airport with vast experience in handling heavy crowds. Just get to the airport early (3 hours early should be sufficient) and you should be fine.

Before you make any decisions, it may be best to see if there is even an extra night available at WL. It's an extremely popular resort during the holidays, and half of the rooms are now DVC which makes it even harder! Maybe that could help to be a deciding factor!

I agree. I'd check availability before making a decision :).

IMHO, travel is going to be tough that entire week. Dec. 25 - Dec. 31 is the busiest travel time in Orlando. I don't think it's going to make much of a difference.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think 1 day is going to make much difference as most of that week will probably be busy for travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter