Second contract questions

Countryrunner262

Mouseketeer
We own 150 points at SSR with a June UY. I was just curious if we ever wanted to add on in the future, how does that work. Couple examples...

1. If we added on more points at SSR, would that require us to pay MF on both contracts? What if they are the same UY?

2. If we added on at a different resort, is it still best to have the same UY? (We have June, but feel February may benefit us)

3. IF we ever did, would OKW be a poor choice to buy into? What about adding on at SSR? GFV and BLT are too high for me, I've heard a lot of negativity lately about WLV, I'm personally not an AKV fan at all, and I know it's weird , but the clown pool REALLY turns me off of ever wanting to go to BWV...huge fear of clowns.

I would be ok adding on 50-75 at SSR, but those do not come up very often, plus it seems prices are going up at SSR.

Any input from veteran DVC members or multi contract holders would be great!

If you add on with the same use year, maintenance fees will be billed together. If you add a different resort with the same use year, you can manage the points all together. A different use year only makes sense if you plan to use the new points separately, and entirely, for different trips at a different time of year. If you want to merge the points together for one trip, stick with the same use year.

Vero Beach is cheap, but the maintenance fees eat up the savings quickly. Saratoga Springs is a great balance of low up-front cost and low maintenance fees. Bay Lake Tower actually has lower maintenance fees (though some argue they won't last), direct access to the Magic Kingdom, and also has an additional 6 years extra over SSR, so I think it's almost as good a value as SSR even at the higher up-front cost.

Look at your vacation plans and decide. If you feel Feb might be better, you can open it as an option.

The bulk of my points are April, but decided to add on with a fall UY that would cover spring vacations. As long as you're not always trying to book one big vacation with the same set of points, I think it really makes no difference. It will be a bit more work to keep track of 2 UY, 2 banking deadlines, etc but shouldn't be too bad for someone who's organized. Considering I have to figure out our vacation plans 11m ahead of time, 2 UY should be a breeze.

Look at your vacation plans and decide. If you feel Feb might be better, you can open it as an option. The bulk of my points are April, but decided to add on with a fall UY that would cover spring vacations. As long as you're not always trying to book one big vacation with the same set of points, I think it really makes no difference. It will be a bit more work to keep track of 2 UY, 2 banking deadlines, etc but shouldn't be too bad for someone who's organized. Considering I have to figure out our vacation plans 11m ahead of time, 2 UY should be a breeze.

A fall UY would be good for spring break. See, all of these options I havnt thought about.

Couple examples... 1. If we added on more points at SSR, would that require us to pay MF on both contracts? What if they are the same UY?
Yes, your member fees are calculated by the number of points you own. If you have 150 and buy 50, you now pay MF on 200 points. The rate is based on the respective resort and does not matter in regards to use year.

Two UY's means two memberships. It's like you are two different people so to combine points for a single trip, you have to book whole nights on each and then ask that the reservations be linked so you won't have to change rooms.

To use points for a single night, you have to transfer between the two. Transferred points retain home resort and UY so once you transfer, you won't b able to see them online.

As already mentioned, if you get a different UY, you really need to have enough points, IMO, to make it function on its own. We currently own Dec and June. But, one has 180 points and the other one has 250 so we can use them for different trips.

For the most part, its easy to manage, but we have had a few situations where I ended up having to borrow points when I had current UY points left in the other membership because I didn't want the hassle of transferring...but, in the end, its worth it because having the two the way we do, we are always traveling in the first 8 months so that is nice.

Good luck!

With a small contract like 25 points, is it still better to do resale or to go direct. Odds are a resale be stripped and maybe not the right UY, but direct is twice the price, however it may come with more points readily available.

One resale company has an emailing list. You can set it up to email you for small SSR contracts. I'd do that, and get on the Disney waiting list. Not sure how long it is for SSR. Some on the boards have gotten a contract through resale before the waitlist came through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter