Sebastian's STRONG and SVELTE Under the Sea September W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge - All Welcome!

I am definitely a daily weigher. Get up, use the bathroom, step on scale. It is as automatic as brushing my teeth. The number doesn't have too much impact on my mood. I'm happy when I see a number that I haven't seen in a while but it is really just data.

And I love data! I record daily on both MFP and HappyScale because I really like to see trends and projections. Thise charts definitely make a difference in mood. I'm working really hard on trying to stop that. Behaviors should be more important than numbers particularly since numbers follow behaviors. But I can't help myself. As I said above, I just love data!
I use MFP too. If it makes you feel good, keep doing it! I like the graphs and charts as well. And if weighing every day doesn't discourage you....that's great! And the fact you are recording daily...yahoo!

Recipe Share: This is what I'm making for my dinner to eat with side salad. Stuffed Chicken.
Ingredients: 1. Boneless breast chicken.
2. Swiss Cheese
3. Turkey Bacon
4. Brocolli
5. Chicken Boulion or stock.
6. Any kind of wine, red or white.
Pound chicken down with rolling pin, flat enough to roll it up.
Layer a piece of the swiss cheese, a piece of the turkey bacon and then the broccoli (I steam the broccoli first).
Roll it up, with seams on bottom, place in baking dish, large enough to hold the chicken in place next to one another.
Add some of the stock and wine to the dish to cover the bottom of the baking dish. I put it about a quarter of way up.
Sprinkle with garlic powder and black pepper or any spice you prefer.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.

I'm making six breasts, with 1/2 slice of the cheese and 1/2 slice turkey bacon in each. I'll eat them every day for the next six days. I will weigh each of the breasts and if they are too big, I'll just cut them in half after they are done. They reheat easily in the microwave.

Taking a few minutes out of my work day to catch up on some of the posts I've missed the last couple of days! Don't tell my boss... :rolleyes1

Man that was long winded. But I feel like getting it out there and writing it down was a solid first step for me. I can come back and read it if I am feeling unmotivated. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and experiencing our success and rebounding from our disappointments together!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to you on your 60lb weight loss - even if you did put 10 of it back on, that 60lb (even that 50lb) loss is amazing! I don't put a lot of stock into the BMI charts. I probably should give it more than I do, but I'm 5'4" and technically "healthy' at 110-144lbs. I don't think I have ever been or can ever be that small, honestly. I just want to get back to the range where I feel good, which for me is around 160. I like my curves, and I have no desire to be a stick. If I can get to size 10/12 with consistency (not with finding that magical dress or pair of jeans that is sized smaller than it's made) then I will be a-ok. Not that I think there's anything wrong with wanting to be in that range! Not at all. I wish you all the best on your journey, and I hope we can help get you where you want to be! :goodvibes

Hello everyone and welcome to September!

Goal: My primary goal that I will be tracking this month is to lose 10 lbs. My long-term goal for my wedding on October 30 is to be 275 lbs. To achieve that goal I need to lose 17 lbs total.

My secondary goal is to squat 160 lbs, deadlift 200 lbs, and bench press 100 lbs by the end of the month. During my last workout I was squatting 115, deadlifting 130, and bench pressing 80 lbs.

Plan:

(1)
Go to the gym every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I'm going to continue using the StrongLifts workout program that I've been using.

(2) Continue tracking my steps via FitBit even after the ongoing challenge at my office ends on Sept 10. My goal is 8000 steps a day on workdays (Sun, Mon, Tue and every other Wed) and 10000 steps a day on non-workdays.

(3) Bring lunch to work at least two days a week and eat dinner out no more than twice a week.

Obstacles:
(1)
Myself - when it comes to food I am my own worst enemy.

(2) Travel - I will be traveling to Tulsa to visit family this weekend (my dad's birthday is tomorrow). I leave tonight and I'm trying to find a gym for my Wednesday and Friday workouts this week.

(3) Celebrations - As mentioned above my dad's birthday is tomorrow and we will be having at least one dinner for that along with seeing cousins in Arkansas Friday where we will probably have lunch/dinner. My DW2B's birthday is the 17th and we will have a family party that night along with a party for friends that Saturday. Both football (American and soccer) seasons will be in full force starting this Saturday and I usually meet up to watch the Bayern Munich games and Arkansas Razorback games with friends, so I need to make sure I limit my alcohol intake (all those carbs).

I am looking forward to a strong September with everyone!

Welcome back, fellow October-wed! Good luck to you on your goals - I know you'll hit them for sure!

Goal: Be down 3 lbs at the end of September

Plan: Since last month's super detailed plan did not work for me, I'm going simple this month.
1) At least 15 min of exercise 6x per week
2) Be a more mindful eater - plan my meals and snacks when I can, and when I can't, think before I eat

Obstacles:
1) Me. I get in my own head too much, and then I get too lazy to do the work needed to reach my goal.
2) Life. September will be a busy month for me, and it will be hard for me to not let that derail me

So glad you're in for another month! I think a simple approach can be the best approach sometimes. Just imagine, instead of being frustrated that you can't make it to 30 minutes of exercise one day, now if you hit 15 and feel like going more, you can be excited! Yay! :cheer2:

I'm Lisa and a veteran of these challenges on the WISH boards coming back after a hiatus. :goodvibes I am a card carrying member of the sandwich generation. :crowded: I use this for an excuse why I don't reach my weight loss goals. :sad2:

My goal for September is to lose 5 pounds. I have been stuck in this decade FOREVER and want to find myself solidly in the middle of the next one by the end of the month. I'll use my Aria FitBit scale to measure and that will be the goal I am reporting here. I also have an exercise goal on the exercise thread. I will continue to follow my WW plan to lose this month. I attend meetings and also have two personal coaches on WW. They have helped me to come up with action plans to meet my WW goals.

I joined the challenge this month to give myself a little more accountability and to publicly set that goal of 5 pounds this month. I may not be posting too often but I will be like Roz . . . watching, always watching. :cool2:

Welcome back, Lisa! Consider your 5lb goal noted :) The extra set of eyes is always appreciated, at least in my book! I need that person who holds people accountable FOR SURE.

Oh....I didn't mean my comment as any kind of criticism. Sorry. I was just passing along some info I found informative.

No worries. I was just clarifying why I'm doing what I'm doing this month. It's by no means a long-term lifestyle plan for me, but right now I have GOT to get through October and really see some progress, and then after that I can refocus and shoot for my life-goal. Baby steps.

OK, that's all I have time for for now... We have to keep a list of everything we do and the time spent doing it, and submit it to our manager at the end of the day, so I'm not sure how I'll phrase "checking in on the Dis" LOL... I'll be back later on to hit some of the other replies!

Oh wow! SO MUCH activity in here today! I LOVE IT! Where were all of you in August???? :rotfl: I'm just kidding. :goodvibes But I definitely hope it keeps up all through September (and October!).

It's 1:38am now so I'll have to check back in later on and really read closely and reply to everyone. But I wanted to make sure I got in my answer to Wednesday's QOTD!

My WOOHOO is that I weighed in this morning at 204.4lbs! That's down 1.1lbs from Monday, and while that could be caused by anything and will probably be back up tomorrow, I have been over the moon about it all day!! It has been SO LONG since I have seen a number that low on the scale. :banana: I'm also seeing a lot of change in my shoulders, which I'm just thrilled about. I just wish the change were as obvious everywhere else!

My slightly-less-excited "woohoo" is that I'm almost done addressing wedding invitations. It's slightly-less-exciting only because I'm exhausted and don't have the energy to be properly excited about them, or even really care about them at all anymore LOL. They should've gone out 60 days before the wedding, so around August 24, but we decided at the last minute to change the color of the envelopes, because plain white envelopes are just so boring. LOL. So we had to wait for the new ones to come in. Then I, of course, decided that it would be so pretty if instead of just writing people's addresses on them, I would run them through the printer and print the addresses out in some pretty font in light grey and go over that with white ink. Easy peasy! And hey - I was right! It's really pretty. It's also REALLLLYYYYYY time consuming, because white ink is thin and needs at least two coats, and if you go too fast, the gel pens don't cooperate. I've been working on these since Friday night, from about 6pm til almost 3:30am every night (even longer on Saturday!), and out of 90 envelopes, I'm finally down to just 16 left. Not at all my wisest craft project. 51 days til no more wedding!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

View attachment 121308

It's kind of hard to see the lettering on the envelopes, but these are our invitations! All in all, I'm pleased with them. I love the colors - our wedding is themed "Autumn Elegance" so fall colors are playing a big role. I'm just so tired of doing this! Haha. And yes, I'm sending invitations to Mickey & Minnie. I've read they'll send you an autographed photo in response, so we'll see!

Bonus QOTD: I have an iPhone, but I don't use Siri (or any other "digital assistant"). Haha. She irritates me to no end. :duck: More often than not, when I try to use her, I just get frustrated because she isn't very helpful.

Congratulations on getting your invitations out. They look amazing! We sent ours out about the first week of August and have already received about 1/3 of the RSVPs that we are expecting.

scale-frustration.jpg

Good morning fellow losers!

QOTD - September 3

Let's talk about scales today. Are you a daily weigher? Weekly weigher? Hide the scale in the closet and never think about the numbers sort?

I'm also curious about how the numbers make you feel and what you do with the data. Do good numbers make your day while bad numbers bring on storm clouds? Or is it just a brief snapshot in time that you immediately let go? Do you record the numbers with spreadsheets, charts, sticky notes, and projections or forget what the scale said as soon as you step off?

Looking forward to the chatter!

I am a daily weigher as I like to see what the work I'm putting in at the gym is doing. I usually weigh myself after my morning workout either prior to or just after I shower. I much prefer my scale at home to the scale at my gym since the one at my gym is consistently three pounds heavy. I have begun using a spreadsheet that also tracks the weight I'm lifting as well.

You can throw a check mark for me in the weekly weigh-in category. With WW it just makes more sense to work hard during the week and then on whatever day it is you've chosen to weigh in and hope for the best ;)

I use the WiiFitU for my scale and I love it. Now that we're on a first floor I can use the WiiFit system and do all of the fun exercise programs on my off-days for Couch to 10K.

As for numbers... I will say that with all the effort I have put in that I do get disappointed when the work doesn't equal results. I'm of the firm belief that the harder you try with extreme effort that the results should pay out. Unfortunately that is not always the case for weight loss. Sometimes your body says "nope" and you don't see what you think you should on the scale -- sometimes fat is turned into muscle so you think you've lost pounds but you've lost inches; you could be retaining a lot of water; and sometimes you've over-exhausted yourself to where your body is trying to conserve calories.

It is a process. And we all have to remember that. A loss is a loss, no matter how big or small. And sometimes we will have weeks where we gain - and that's okay too because we'll just do better the next week!

My current workout is helping me shed pounds, but it is also helping to build muscle and I have to remember sometimes that just because my number on the scale that day didn't go down, doesn't mean I didn't improve my health and my physicality. So, in order to see the differences I'm making I've also begun taking once a month photos to track the progress and eventually a before and after.

OK, home from work and back to finish up replies before I get cranking on more envelopes!

Next up for us is 14 days in Orlando :) Our condo is <1 mile from the convention center and we plan to walk to / from a convention daily. We will walk to any dining location the is 2 miles or less from the Condo. We will walk as much as we possibly can in WDW, Sea World and Discovery Cove - but most of our time there will be active by swimming/snorkeling!

Sometimes I think we should just be a little pink bunny beating a drum! We keep on going and going, we might slow down a little now and then but we recharge our "batteries" with rest, nice meals, time in the pool and we are ready to go again!

I wrote yesterday of my best friend and our friendly challenges.......what I didn't write was that we live 700 miles apart! But I visit her monthly and at least twice a year she and I leave her old, grumpy husband home and take a 2 week vacation together..........which is Orlando in just 20 days........NOT that I am counting.

Something that we did after we started using our Fitbit on a cruise in August 2013 was we pay $5.00 per day for every day we meet our step goal, one month she pays, one month I pay! We have a joint savings account we call our Vacation Fund that we contribute $100 every paycheck (biweekly) plus the "step money".........needless to say we have done 10 days in Nashville, 11 days in Vegas, and have 14 days in Orlando (coming up) .......all of which is 100% paid for before we arrive at our location :) It also allows us to take weekend trips to Lancaster, PA every 3 months or so. So we walk/ride/workout/pool walk etc to make ourselves healthier then we play really hard and have a great time! I would have never thought I would find my best friend 15 years ago on a cruise (again, nursing education) out on the West Coast - and find out we live just 700 miles apart! Our lives have been so similar with family, jobs etc we just laugh about it. We have been there thru thick and thin, some surgeries , the death of both of her parents and we have our own physical issues but every day we both wake up, put our feet on the floor no matter how much we hurt and say a prayer to God to thank him for waking us up that day, in our jobs that is not always the case!

:worship::worship::worship: Oh my goodness, what an AMAZING story and relationship. Congratulations on all you have accomplished together. You're inspiring! I'm completely envious of your friendship! I think everyone needs someone like that in their lives. I LOVE the vacation account idea, and the $5 a day toward a vacation is a fantastic motivator to keep you stepping. Way to go!!!

My WooHoo has a few parts so far, and will hopefully have more soon.
Part 1 - I woke up
Part 2 - I got out of bed
Part 3 - I made my bed
Part 4 - I got dressed

In my world, those are HUGE accomplishments some days! :rotfl: Definitely worth a woohoo!

Goal: Lose 5 pounds. I recently rejoined WW; the point system and tracking have worked well for me in the past. The first week, I lost 2.6 and the second week 1.2 following the program faithfully, not using any weekly or activity points. I guess this is my "new normal"- now that I'm in my 50's, the weight will come off slowly.

Plan: track intake, taking in 26 points daily. Exercise 20-40 minutes 5 days/week.

Obstacles: vacation next week
Working the night shift - so hungry when I leave work at 7am
Plan for obstacles - check out menus online and choose healthy options while on vacation/ take half portion home.
- have banana after work, get some sleep.

I don't think I've gotten to say "hi" to you yet, so, HII!!! SO SO SO sorry you are a night-shifter. I spent a couple of years managing a hotel, and had to work the night audit shift every other Friday and Saturday. 11pm - 7am. It was MISERABLE. It would take me a full week to recover. I assume if you are regularly on the night shift then it's a little better because your body can get into a routine, but still. It's rough. I would spend my entire shift eating junk, too, because I was bored and needed to stay awake and get really bad late night cravings. Here's hoping you deal with the overnights better than I did, LOL! Where are you going for vacation??

Today begins move-in day - we pick up our keys after work!:cool1:

We packed up the cars last night with the kitchen and bathroom things we wanted to bring over. Super excited to see our new place today.:jumping1:

So excited for you!! Hope everything went/goes smoothly with the move and unpacking - we moved in April and are still 60% packed LOL.

My WOOHOO of the day: Making it through the check out line at Wegmans with out getting any treats! I forgot a post-workout snack for after the gym. Usually when this happens I would talk myself into how I "needed" a candy bar or the like, but today, I left without buying anything. In full disclosure, I did not starve myself. I had stopped on the way in at Sturbucks, but I only got a latte with nonfat milk. I figured the milk would provide some carbs and protein. Usually I would have gotten the coffee and the candy bar, so this was an improvement! I guess the fact that I did finally get my butt to the gym is another WOOHOO, but skipping the candy bar feels bigger to me.

From someone who can not pass up a candy bar at the check-out, trust me, it IS huge! Good job!!

My woohoo for the day is I was able to spend today with my dad. It is his 62nd birthday!

Happy belated birthday to your dad!!

Heading to Disneyland tomorrow for Race Packet pick-up for the 5K, a chicken caesar salad, cake pop and the pin releases. Our crazy week continues on - not too much time at the parks because we have to be up at 4am on Friday to run. :)

I'm so jealous! First of all, a chicken caesar salad and a cake pop sound AMAZING. Secondly, how cool to be doing a Disneyland 5k! Are you a runner, or will you be walking it? I would definitely have to walk it, but I want to do one so badly! Maybe one day I will have the physique (and the funds!) to do one in WDW!

The invitations look beautiful!!

You are doing a great job!! August may have been rough but your overall numbers are impressive. You are going to get there!!

Thank you! and thank you! Haha. I have high hopes for September. Not only did I not stick to my plan like I should've in August, my doctor put me on some medicine that I am 100% certain was causing me to put on weight. Since it was just a trial to see how I responded to it, I kicked that around the 18th because I was miserable and sick all the time and gaining weight, and now that it's fully worked its way out of my system, I feel so much better. Hopefully that will play a big part in my losing this month!

Hey all! Sorry I didn't get back on yesterday. I was washing vegetables for lunch and noticed that the water pressure in the kitchen was bad.... anyhooo.... after some investigation I discovered that the kitchen faucet was leaking under the sink (and down into the basement :( ). Anyhow..... after much wiping and mopping on my part and swearing and sweating on the part of my DH, we ended up removing the entire sink in order to remove the faucet. And then, of course, we ended up at Lowe's at 7:30 last night to buy a new faucet ($220 I did NOT budget for this month..... gotta dig into the "household repairs" envelope!). So my ENTIRE AFTERNOON was down the drain..... and after all that (and getting to bed very late for me.... 11 pm), the faucet is installed and the water is useable..... but the sink isn't fully clipped back in. Fingers crossed he gets that done today while I'm at work.

:scared1: Oh no!!! SO sorry to hear your day off was a stressful one! Did he get everything finished up today??

Hope everyone has a great Thursday. I only got 4.5 hours of sleep last night. This is a dangerous thing for me. I always overeat when I am tired. And I need to run three miles to keep up with my training plan. Going to be a challenge!

Good luck to you today! How did your run go? It would be a challenge for me to run 3 miles on 10 hours of sleep, much less 4.5! :rotfl:

I weigh once a week on either Friday or Saturday. If I know that I'm going to eat poorly on Friday night then I'll weigh Friday (which is kinda cheating but oh well). I track in my WW and then we also have a website at work that we can track our weight and save money on health insurance for the next year. I like this because that's how I know that I now weigh less than I did a year ago! *happy dance*

Good numbers do make me feel good and I try not to let the bad numbers ruin my day, especially if I look at myself in the mirror and feel like I can see the change and/or feel it in my clothes. Which I finally can! Yay!

YAYYYYYYYYYY for seeing some progress! So proud of you, and so glad WW is working for you! :banana:

I am definitely a daily weigher. Get up, use the bathroom, step on scale. It is as automatic as brushing my teeth. The number doesn't have too much impact on my mood. I'm happy when I see a number that I haven't seen in a while but it is really just data.

And I love data! I record daily on both MFP and HappyScale because I really like to see trends and projections. This charts definitely make a difference in mood. I'm working really hard on trying to stop that. Behaviors should be more important than numbers particularly since numbers follow behaviors. But I can't help myself. As I said above, I just love data!

You & I are so similar! I, too, love tracking and charts and data. Totally agree that the emphasis should be on the behavior, more than the number, but at the same time I don't want to make a habit out of a behavior that isn't giving me any results, so I'm always torn!

As for numbers... I will say that with all the effort I have put in that I do get disappointed when the work doesn't equal results. I'm of the firm belief that the harder you try with extreme effort that the results should pay out. Unfortunately that is not always the case for weight loss. Sometimes your body says "nope" and you don't see what you think you should on the scale -- sometimes fat is turned into muscle so you think you've lost pounds but you've lost inches; you could be retaining a lot of water; and sometimes you've over-exhausted yourself to where your body is trying to conserve calories.

It is a process. And we all have to remember that. A loss is a loss, no matter how big or small. And sometimes we will have weeks where we gain - and that's okay too because we'll just do better the next week!

Such good words to live by! I completely agree with you - I'm the same way in that I get SO FRUSTRATED when I'm working so, so hard and then that number didn't fall. What makes it worse is when, the next week, you don't work as hard and you end up losing. Haha. If only there were some tried-and-true "do this and it works every time" method!

That is something HUGE to celebrate. They're absolutely ~gorgeous~ and definitely worth the time and effort you're putting into it. I love that you're sending one to Mickey and Minnie too. I think the same response from Disney applies to the White House as well. So maybe sending one to President and Mrs Obama would be neat because they'll send you a letter and a signed picture or something too!

Thank you!! Especially for the "they're worth the time and effort" - I've been so frustrated at how long it's taking me that MANY times I've thought "Why am I even bothering? The envelope just gets torn open and thrown in the trash. No one will even care what the outside looks like!" Haha, so that means a lot!

You got this, girl. Seriously. 53 days is about 7 weeks, so if you lose 1.5 pounds per week you'll be there without a problem. And the wedding jitters and stress you'll experience as you get closer to your date will cause you to drop it super fast. This happened to me and my wedding dress was too big when I walked down the aisle - haha!

I hope so! And I hope that the extra 10lbs really does put me where I'm wanting to be... I'm afraid that I'll hit 195 and then realize that my goal wasn't low enough and I'm out of time. Also, REALLY hoping I'll be able to keep my stress eating under control and not spend the 2 weeks before the wedding undoing everything I've been trying to accomplish so far. Fingers crossed!

On the day of your wedding, make sure you eat something before you put your dress on. I had a 6" Subway sammich and it was the only thing that I got to eat that evening. So many people wanted to chat with us at our couples table that the food was taken away before I ate it and the only piece of cake I got was the one shoved in my face.

We are actually intentionally blocking out the first 30 minutes of the reception for EVERYONE - including us - to eat and focus on eating and mingling with the people they are sitting with, and then we can do all the chatting after that. We are having chicken parmesan and a mashed potato bar at the reception, and I am BOUND AND DETERMINED to enjoy them there, not out of my microwave at home! So hopefully that plan will work like we want it to. Haha. I will definitely do my best to eat during the day, though - but I can already pretty much guarantee I won't. :laughing: Well, I take that back. I won't WANT to eat, but I WILL want to drink, so at some point I won't have a choice but to eat something to balance out the wine I will almost definitely be consuming. :drinking1

Congratulations on getting your invitations out. They look amazing! We sent ours out about the first week of August and have already received about 1/3 of the RSVPs that we are expecting.

Thank you!! We are SUPER hoping that we get our RSVP's in soon. We've requested that everyone respond by October 3, so here's hoping that our friends and family can follow directions. :lmao:

My current workout is helping me shed pounds, but it is also helping to build muscle and I have to remember sometimes that just because my number on the scale that day didn't go down, doesn't mean I didn't improve my health and my physicality. So, in order to see the differences I'm making I've also begun taking once a month photos to track the progress and eventually a before and after.

I do this (the once a month photo) as well, and definitely recommend it to everyone! It's amazing how you don't see any changes in the mirror day after day after day, but if you compare your today picture to your month ago picture, you can usually tell a big difference! That's one of my biggest motivating tools.

:woohoo::woohoo: WOOOOO! All caught up! :woohoo::woohoo: Now off to more envelopes. 16 to go! Also, just got a major Ben & Jerry's craving. Uh oh! Thankfully there's none in the house, but there's a gas station just around the corner... Dinner needs to cook faster!

Last edited:
how cool to be doing a Disneyland 5k! Are you a runner, or will you be walking it

I am by no means a runner - but I'll be faking it! We did a race back in 2009 when we filled in for a friend who couldn't make it and then decided that starting tomorrow would be our official training. It's a race to see where our baselines are. Husband is running at his full potential and will likely be at the finish line about 15 minutes before I get there. I'm going to just try my best with the run/walk combo. I've done Couch to 5K before, but it's been several years since I ran a race. Tomorrow is just the first step of Couch to 10K because we signed up for TinkerBell's 10K in May! OMG! It'll be fun to run through Disneyland and through Cars Land! :D

We'll be doing the Avengers race in November as a progress check. My goal for Tink is just to not get picked up by a sweeper. We have 8 months to prep so I should be okay!

Move so far... is... ok? I had to drop a list of about 15 things to be fixed my the maintenance crew. Minor annoyances and major appliance failure! Just hoping for smooth installations tomorrow for Internet and TV so we can have some music or TV in the background as we unpack. Last night was the kitchen unpacking and it felt long because we didn't any 'noise' to keep us going.

To weigh or not to weigh.....that is the question! No, just kidding. I actually bought Vanessa (best friend) and I both new scales about a year ago because what we had were just old (think 30 years old at my house), so I bought identical scales so where ever I might be on Sunday mornings I can weigh, important because I go to her house in upstate NY once a month. The only time we don't weigh on a Sunday is if we are out of town ie not at either house, and for the upcoming trip since it will encompass 2 Sunday's I will put my scale in the car to take with me, I am driving to Orlando with everything BUT the kitchen sink LOL and she is flying with a couple of cameras, her kindle and her spare glasses! Somehow I think I got the rough end of this deal :) BUT by the time she arrives I will have been checked into our rental condo for 10 hours, unloaded the vehicle and totally UNPACKED...........and YES, she knows she is spoiled, but she won't have expected me to do all that, she will fuss because I did it all alone!

We picked Sunday's to weigh because that is how we set up our Fitbits as the first day of our week. I might occ. weigh another day but not often, not unless I have really cranked up activity and toned down eating!

So much chatter today! Yay!!

I did create a graph last year when I was trying to get back down to a certain number before my big birthday..... and the graph was nice because I was able to see that even after a particularly bad weigh-in, I was still TRENDING DOWNWARD!

I love seeing downward trends. It makes the everyday ups and downs so much more bearable!!

I am on average a daily weigher, sometimes multiple times a day. I tend to think I over do it, but its right in my bathroom, and I just jump on too often. I Wish I were a Friday/Monday weigher. I'd like to see where I am heading into the weekend and where I am after the damage is done Monday. I am not looking for a low number Friday to justify binging all weekend, it is actually more likely if I see a number I am pleased with on Friday that I will do better with my choices on the weekend. But if I don't like it, I tend to think, well I made no progress all week, whats the use of restricting myself this weekend when we go to X (party, take kids for ice cream they earned, out to a restaurant).

When I get a number I am not happy with it usually makes me feel depressed and like I am failing. I will then be super careful for a few hours about my eating, and then next thing you know, I will feed the frustration, sadness, etc with something sweet, usually chocolate. When I get a number I like, I am actually better for a day or two with my rewards. I really think my biggest obstacle is getting over the notion that I deserve junk food as a reward. My body deserves fuel (healthy options) not junk.

My scale (made by iHealth) syncs via bluetooth with phone, and is then nice enough to update MyFitnessPall and the Apple Health App for me :badpc:. So there is no hiding from the truth.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday. I only got 4.5 hours of sleep last night. This is a dangerous thing for me. I always overeat when I am tired. And I need to run three miles to keep up with my training plan. Going to be a challenge!

I try not to weigh multiple times a day but I always find it kind of fascinating when I do. I have a strange fondness for weighing myself right before bed and predicting how much weight I will "lose" overnight. Hope tonight is a better night's sleep for you!

Daily weigher here! First thing every morning, I wake up, use the restroom, and get on the scale. Then I log it in my LoseIt! app, which keeps track of my weight with a line graph and a progress report showing how many pounds I've lost and how many days left to my "goal" weight, a projection they figured up based on the amount of weight I wanted to lose with the number of calories I put in to eat.

Lower numbers definitely make my day better, but seeing a consistent or slightly higher number doesn't really ruin my day... Drastically higher, though? Yeah, that bums me out. My scale is sensitive so there can be a few pounds difference depending on where it is on the floor, so I have to make sure it's in the exact same spot every day, lol.

This makes me want to add LoseIt! To my list of apps. If two graphs are good, three are better!

I weigh once a week on either Friday or Saturday. If I know that I'm going to eat poorly on Friday night then I'll weigh Friday (which is kinda cheating but oh well). I track in my WW and then we also have a website at work that we can track our weight and save money on health insurance for the next year. I like this because that's how I know that I now weigh less than I did a year ago! *happy dance*

Good numbers do make me feel good and I try not to let the bad numbers ruin my day, especially if I look at myself in the mirror and feel like I can see the change and/or feel it in my clothes. Which I finally can! Yay!

Woohoo to seeing the weight loss and feeling it in the clothes!

I struggle with the scale. My sweetheart recently read an article that said people who weigh daily are more successful in keeping weight off over their lifetime. Whenever I weigh daily, I can be up two pounds in any given week and then lose by the end of the week. I can also be down and then up at the end of the week. This happens even when I'm eating and tracking and maintaining a healthy carb, protein, fat count. So it mystifies me! And I get discouraged if I'm up during the week, even though I know I could still be down by the end of the week. So in spite of the article that says, weigh daily, I've decided that I should stick to weekly. Once I'm trying to maintain my weight (which will be another challenge in and of itself) I'll probably go to twice a week. It's all very tricky!

It is tricky! And it seems to be a very individual thing since we all need to balance the scale with our personal psychology.

My woohoo Wednesday is: I drank my 32 ounces of water! I'm working on this mornings 32 ounces now. This is one of my September goals. I dislike drinking water and always feel forced to just get it down! I'm marking my calendar daily, as I consume the 32 ounces. I set a small goal to start so I can form the "healthy" habit of drinking the water. This and many other healthy habits is like beg. a new life with so many new things in it. Change can be stressful, even good change. Remembering that life is always going to be a struggle, no matter what your challenges may be. It's learning to overcome those challenges and not feeling like you are the only one who suffers. Conquering weight loss and management makes us all survivors!

Woohoo!

You can throw a check mark for me in the weekly weigh-in category. With WW it just makes more sense to work hard during the week and then on whatever day it is you've chosen to weigh in and hope for the best ;)

I use the WiiFitU for my scale and I love it. Now that we're on a first floor I can use the WiiFit system and do all of the fun exercise programs on my off-days for Couch to 10K.

It is so hard sometimes so thank you for the reminder. It is a process!

This is exactly how I feel and what I struggle most with. I can go for a run, or a class at a gym, and feel great when I am done and proud of the accomplishment. But if the scale doesn't show anything it really bothers me, and anything positive is completely forgotten (and usually I go get a handful of chocolate chips;)). I have been toying with going to a much period longer between weigh-ins. But I am afraid I will miss more inadvertent gain. I may see how the first two weeks of this challenge go, and if I do ok, I might try going a week between weigh ins for the rest of the month. Because my biggest problem is what I eat. I can get the exercise in. But I have a lack of self control diet wise. So if I can tell I am being honest with myself and maybe see a loss of a pound or two by the end of next week I may space out my weigh ins, because the sad scale feedback is a trigger for me. I wonder if I focus on doing things right with nutrition and exercise and stop giving the scale so much power, if I might actually be more successful.

It's probably with at last an experiment.

Recipe Share: This is what I'm making for my dinner to eat with side salad. Stuffed Chicken.
2. Swiss Cheese
3. Turkey Bacon
4. Brocolli
Layer a piece of the swiss cheese, a piece of the turkey bacon and then the broccoli (I steam the broccoli first).
Roll it up, with seams on bottom, place in baking dish, large enough to hold the chicken in place next to one another.
Add some of the stock and wine to the dish to cover the bottom of the baking dish. I put it about a quarter of way up.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.

I'm making six breasts, with 1/2 slice of the cheese and 1/2 slice turkey bacon in each. I'll eat them every day for the next six days. I will weigh each of the breasts and if they are too big, I'll just cut them in half after they are done. They reheat easily in the microwave.

Sounds delicious!

I am a daily weigher as I like to see what the work I'm putting in at the gym is doing. I usually weigh myself after my morning workout either prior to or just after I shower. I much prefer my scale at home to the scale at my gym since the one at my gym is consistently three pounds heavy. I have begun using a spreadsheet that also tracks the weight I'm lifting as well.

Progress photos are a great idea!

OK, home from work and back to finish up replies before I get cranking on more envelopes!

:worship::worship::worship: Oh my goodness, what an AMAZING story and relationship. Congratulations on all you have accomplished together. You're inspiring! I'm completely envious of your friendship! I think everyone needs someone like that in their lives. I LOVE the vacation account idea, and the $5 a day toward a vacation is a fantastic motivator to keep you stepping. Way to go!!!

In my world, those are HUGE accomplishments some days! :rotfl: Definitely worth a woohoo!

I don't think I've gotten to say "hi" to you yet, so, HII!!! SO SO SO sorry you are a night-shifter. I spent a couple of years managing a hotel, and had to work the night audit shift every other Friday and Saturday. 11pm - 7am. It was MISERABLE. It would take me a full week to recover. I assume if you are regularly on the night shift then it's a little better because your body can get into a routine, but still. It's rough. I would spend my entire shift eating junk, too, because I was bored and needed to stay awake and get really bad late night cravings. Here's hoping you deal with the overnights better than I did, LOL! Where are you going for vacation??

So excited for you!! Hope everything went/goes smoothly with the move and unpacking - we moved in April and are still 60% packed LOL.

From someone who can not pass up a candy bar at the check-out, trust me, it IS huge! Good job!!

Happy belated birthday to your dad!!

I'm so jealous! First of all, a chicken caesar salad and a cake pop sound AMAZING. Secondly, how cool to be doing a Disneyland 5k! Are you a runner, or will you be walking it? I would definitely have to walk it, but I want to do one so badly! Maybe one day I will have the physique (and the funds!) to do one in WDW!

Thank you! and thank you! Haha. I have high hopes for September. Not only did I not stick to my plan like I should've in August, my doctor put me on some medicine that I am 100% certain was causing me to put on weight. Since it was just a trial to see how I responded to it, I kicked that around the 18th because I was miserable and sick all the time and gaining weight, and now that it's fully worked its way out of my system, I feel so much better. Hopefully that will play a big part in my losing this month!

:scared1: Oh no!!! SO sorry to hear your day off was a stressful one! Did he get everything finished up today??

Good luck to you today! How did your run go? It would be a challenge for me to run 3 miles on 10 hours of sleep, much less 4.5! :rotfl:

YAYYYYYYYYYY for seeing some progress! So proud of you, and so glad WW is working for you! :banana:

You & I are so similar! I, too, love tracking and charts and data. Totally agree that the emphasis should be on the behavior, more than the number, but at the same time I don't want to make a habit out of a behavior that isn't giving me any results, so I'm always torn!

Such good words to live by! I completely agree with you - I'm the same way in that I get SO FRUSTRATED when I'm working so, so hard and then that number didn't fall. What makes it worse is when, the next week, you don't work as hard and you end up losing. Haha. If only there were some tried-and-true "do this and it works every time" method!

Thank you!! Especially for the "they're worth the time and effort" - I've been so frustrated at how long it's taking me that MANY times I've thought "Why am I even bothering? The envelope just gets torn open and thrown in the trash. No one will even care what the outside looks like!" Haha, so that means a lot!

I hope so! And I hope that the extra 10lbs really does put me where I'm wanting to be... I'm afraid that I'll hit 195 and then realize that my goal wasn't low enough and I'm out of time. Also, REALLY hoping I'll be able to keep my stress eating under control and not spend the 2 weeks before the wedding undoing everything I've been trying to accomplish so far. Fingers crossed!

We are actually intentionally blocking out the first 30 minutes of the reception for EVERYONE - including us - to eat and focus on eating and mingling with the people they are sitting with, and then we can do all the chatting after that. We are having chicken parmesan and a mashed potato bar at the reception, and I am BOUND AND DETERMINED to enjoy them there, not out of my microwave at home! So hopefully that plan will work like we want it to. Haha. I will definitely do my best to eat during the day, though - but I can already pretty much guarantee I won't. :laughing: Well, I take that back. I won't WANT to eat, but I WILL want to drink, so at some point I won't have a choice but to eat something to balance out the wine I will almost definitely be consuming. :drinking1

Thank you!! We are SUPER hoping that we get our RSVP's in soon. We've requested that everyone respond by October 3, so here's hoping that our friends and family can follow directions. :lmao:

I do this (the once a month photo) as well, and definitely recommend it to everyone! It's amazing how you don't see any changes in the mirror day after day after day, but if you compare your today picture to your month ago picture, you can usually tell a big difference! That's one of my biggest motivating tools.

:woohoo::woohoo: WOOOOO! All caught up! :woohoo::woohoo: Now off to more envelopes. 16 to go! Also, just got a major Ben & Jerry's craving. Uh oh! Thankfully there's none in the house, but there's a gas station just around the corner... Dinner needs to cook faster!

Mmmm. Mashed potatoes!

I am by no means a runner - but I'll be faking it! We did a race back in 2009 when we filled in for a friend who couldn't make it and then decided that starting tomorrow would be our official training. It's a race to see where our baselines are. Husband is running at his full potential and will likely be at the finish line about 15 minutes before I get there. I'm going to just try my best with the run/walk combo. I've done Couch to 5K before, but it's been several years since I ran a race. Tomorrow is just the first step of Couch to 10K because we signed up for TinkerBell's 10K in May! OMG! It'll be fun to run through Disneyland and through Cars Land! :D

We'll be doing the Avengers race in November as a progress check. My goal for Tink is just to not get picked up by a sweeper. We have 8 months to prep so I should be okay!

Move so far... is... ok? I had to drop a list of about 15 things to be fixed my the maintenance crew. Minor annoyances and major appliance failure! Just hoping for smooth installations tomorrow for Internet and TV so we can have some music or TV in the background as we unpack. Last night was the kitchen unpacking and it felt long because we didn't any 'noise' to keep us going.

Running through Disneyland and Cars Land would be so fun! If I ever get the motivation to do a RunDisney event, the Tink 10K would definitely be the one!!

To weigh or not to weigh.....that is the question! No, just kidding. I actually bought Vanessa (best friend) and I both new scales about a year ago because what we had were just old (think 30 years old at my house), so I bought identical scales so where ever I might be on Sunday mornings I can weigh, important because I go to her house in upstate NY once a month. The only time we don't weigh on a Sunday is if we are out of town ie not at either house, and for the upcoming trip since it will encompass 2 Sunday's I will put my scale in the car to take with me, I am driving to Orlando with everything BUT the kitchen sink LOL and she is flying with a couple of cameras, her kindle and her spare glasses! Somehow I think I got the rough end of this deal :) BUT by the time she arrives I will have been checked into our rental condo for 10 hours, unloaded the vehicle and totally UNPACKED...........and YES, she knows she is spoiled, but she won't have expected me to do all that, she will fuss because I did it all alone!

We picked Sunday's to weigh because that is how we set up our Fitbits as the first day of our week. I might occ. weigh another day but not often, not unless I have really cranked up activity and toned down eating!

Not too much longer to your fun times in Orlando!

Question! I need opinions, if you all wouldn't mind! I've been looking for something to wear for my bachelorette dinner for a few weeks now, and I'm having the hardest time. I'm having to order costumes off Amazon and try them on - I think I've tried 6 or 7 at this point and had to return them all for various reasons. I really wanted a white or ivory or gold dress but no luck, so I'm down to one of these two, but I can't decide which. I'm not even sure if I should wear a flappery outfit. The other option would be to just find a normal white dress and wear a flapper headband with it. The intention/request was for everyone to dress like flappers, but I'm not convinced they will (my maid of honor won't... She's just going to wear black, with white Mardi Gras beads. Sigh. ) so I don't want to be the only one who does... Even though I love to! Sigh. So, of these two, which would you pick? Or would you pick neither and look for just a white dress?

The black one is a little snug in the stomach (but it's marked as a 14/16!) and has a seam on the side that needs to be fixed. The red one is looser in the stomach but big in the shoulders so the straps would have to be taken in, and the fringe is fairly sparse around the neckline so a lot of what you see is just red satin.

Help, friends! Haha thank you for humoring my ridiculousness! I just inserted the thumbnails so they wouldn't take up a ton of room in the thread (hopefully) but you should be able to click on them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good morning, losers! Happy, happy Friday! I think Friday's before three day weekends are the most beautiful Friday's of all!! I'm weighing in for week 1 before my number changes LOL. I weighed at 203 this morning!! I even moved the scale around and weighed more than once just to make sure it wasn't error, lol. That puts me down 2.5lbs/5.6lbs this month, or 44.6% of my goal if my math is correct! Wooooooooo!

Happy Friday, everyone! Hubs and I are off to the race and I'll make sure to get a picture of me in my best running gear and Ariel-inspired Sparkle Headband. :)

It's really really early. I think I'm running off adrenaline and Mountain Dew this morning. Hoping for a time that is about a 15 minute mile. I'm a slow runner, so Hubs will be waiting at the finish line for me with a bottle of water and a congratulatory hug. (He'll probably finish a good 15-20 mins before me LOL)

Happy Friday, everyone! Hubs and I are off to the race and I'll make sure to get a picture of me in my best running gear and Ariel-inspired Sparkle Headband. :)

It's really really early. I think I'm running off adrenaline and Mountain Dew this morning. Hoping for a time that is about a 15 minute mile. I'm a slow runner, so Hubs will be waiting at the finish line for me with a bottle of water and a congratulatory hug. (He'll probably finish a good 15-20 mins before me LOL)

Yes, please get a picture! So much good luck and pixie dust to both of you!!

@DisPup75 This is my current LoseIt! graph! I tried MFP and don't remember why I didn't like it, but I didn't, because I ended up going with LoseIt! instead, lol. It's only showing 5lbs lost because I changed my plan on August 30 when I started the HIIT program because my food intake was supposed to change so drastically, but the graph shows my progress for the entire year (you can view it in various increments), which is noticeably more than 5lbs. Unfortunately it also shows the period from February - June where I stopped using the app entirely LOL.

unnamed.png

Let's talk about scales today. Are you a daily weigher? Weekly weigher? Hide the scale in the closet and never think about the numbers sort?

I'm also curious about how the numbers make you feel and what you do with the data. Do good numbers make your day while bad numbers bring on storm clouds? Or is it just a brief snapshot in time that you immediately let go? Do you record the numbers with spreadsheets, charts, sticky notes, and projections or forget what the scale said as soon as you step off?

Looking forward to the chatter!

1458636_327045950814230_4127862917484022381_n.jpg

I weigh daily and have all my life. So I am used to the fact that it fluctuates and at times those fluctuations seem totally oblivious to all the good choices and hard work I am putting into my healthy lifestyle. I have an Aria FitBit scale at home and the WW scale weekly. The WW scale is the hardest one to get to move sometimes. :laughing: It's just a number at the moment and the trend is what is important. We all want weight loss to be linear but unfortunately it isn't. That being said, I had an awesome weigh in yesterday at WW and I've been happy ever since! :goodvibes

I"m so HAPPY you are back with us! I have missed you and your "never give up" attitude! .................P

Thanks! I missed you all, too. :flower3:
@courtneybeth have a fabulous time at the 5k this morning -- I know you are standing in your corral enjoying all the excitement now! :cheer2:

@JacknSally both dresses are cute but I pick the red because the color really pops on you plus the fix is probably easier. :cool2: And a big woo hoo for an awesome loss!

Someone upthread mentioned having their doctor make a medication change and that making a difference. That is exactly what happened to me. I saw my doctor in mid-August, he adjusted my meds and boom down 7.1 so far. So my PSA is if you can honestly tell your doctor that you are doing everything you should (i.e. meticulous tracking and logging lots of activity per the FitBit) then do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of frustration and head banging. For the first time in forever I have a new decade just around the riverbend!
I was down 2.4 at WW yesterday so that brings me to 46% :yay:

Someone upthread mentioned having their doctor make a medication change and that making a difference. That is exactly what happened to me. I saw my doctor in mid-August, he adjusted my meds and boom down 7.1 so far. So my PSA is if you can honestly tell your doctor that you are doing everything you should (i.e. meticulous tracking and logging lots of activity per the FitBit) then do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of frustration and head banging. For the first time in forever I have a new decade just around the riverbend!

That was me! My doctor tested me for PCOS and the results were inconclusive, so he put me on an insulin regulator and a birth control, just to see if they would have any effect, and if they did, then he'd assume I have PCOS. I asked him if there were any side effects to either and specifically if I needed to worry about gaining weight on the birth control, and was told NOOOOO, noooo, there's no side effects at all! You'll be fine. :rolleyes: The insulin regulator made me sick all the time, and the birth control made me gain, and I couldn't get it to come back off! It also made me have really bad cravings, so I was eating really poorly while I was on it. I put on 6lbs. :( I was supposed to be on the insulin regulator for 6 weeks and the birth control for 4. I kicked the insulin regulator after 3 or 4 weeks because I couldn't take it anymore (I was missing too much work and ended up having to take a scheduled PTO day from my honeymoon to make up for one of the days I had to miss :sad:) and I dropped the birth control during week 4. I ended up not going to the doctor for follow up tests since I hadn't been on both medicines like I was supposed to. Since I've gotten off both of them, though, and gotten them out of my system completely (at least it feels like I have) I'm down 9lbs, from 212 to 203 today. I've only been off the insulin regulator since August 12 or so, and off the birth control since August 17, so 3ish weeks now.

Big congrats to you on your 46% check in! Way to go!!

2. Swiss Cheese
3. Turkey Bacon
4. Brocolli

Can you post this over on the recipe thread?? We could really use some new stuff over there! Sounds delish!

http://www.disboards.com/threads/wish-away-the-pounds-healthy-recipe-thread-new-title.2447512/

Question! I need opinions, if you all wouldn't mind! I've been looking for something to wear for my bachelorette dinner for a few weeks now, and I'm having the hardest time. I'm having to order costumes off Amazon and try them on - I think I've tried 6 or 7 at this point and had to return them all for various reasons. I really wanted a white or ivory or gold dress but no luck, so I'm down to one of these two, but I can't decide which. I'm not even sure if I should wear a flappery outfit. The other option would be to just find a normal white dress and wear a flapper headband with it. The intention/request was for everyone to dress like flappers, but I'm not convinced they will (my maid of honor won't... She's just going to wear black, with white Mardi Gras beads. Sigh. ) so I don't want to be the only one who does... Even though I love to! Sigh. So, of these two, which would you pick? Or would you pick neither and look for just a white dress?

The black one is a little snug in the stomach (but it's marked as a 14/16!) and has a seam on the side that needs to be fixed. The red one is looser in the stomach but big in the shoulders so the straps would have to be taken in, and the fringe is fairly sparse around the neckline so a lot of what you see is just red satin.

Help, friends! Haha thank you for humoring my ridiculousness! I just inserted the thumbnails so they wouldn't take up a ton of room in the thread (hopefully) but you should be able to click on them.

View attachment 121503

View attachment 121504

If you are going for a 1920's vibe I would definitely say the red one..... totally reads "flapper" to me. That being said, I thought that the black and gold one was beautiful! I don't think you can go wrong with either. And :confused3 to your Maid of Honor.... this is YOUR event and she should be cooperating.

Good luck with the race.... can't wait to hear results and see pictures!!
1458636_327045950814230_4127862917484022381_n.jpg

I weigh daily and have all my life. So I am used to the fact that it fluctuates and at times those fluctuations seem totally oblivious to all the good choices and hard work I am putting into my healthy lifestyle. I have an Aria FitBit scale at home and the WW scale weekly. The WW scale is the hardest one to get to move sometimes. :laughing: It's just a number at the moment and the trend is what is important. We all want weight loss to be linear but unfortunately it isn't. That being said, I had an awesome weigh in yesterday at WW and I've been happy ever since! :goodvibes

Thanks! I missed you all, too. :flower3:
@courtneybeth have a fabulous time at the 5k this morning -- I know you are standing in your corral enjoying all the excitement now! :cheer2:

@JacknSally both dresses are cute but I pick the red because the color really pops on you plus the fix is probably easier. :cool2: And a big woo hoo for an awesome loss!

Lisa.... LOVE that quote. It is SO important to remember that the NUMBER on the scale is JUST a number! Thanks for the reminder.

WOWZA on your loss last week! Hope you celebrate at your WW meeting! BRAVO!

Hey all! The powers-that-be having blessed me with a FOUR DAY weekend by not calling me to work today!! The possibilities are ENDLESS!! Yard work, housework, grocery shopping, cooking.... sounds like fun, doesn't it???:rotfl:

I was down at my weigh-in today..... haven't done the math yet to figure out how much, but at least a pound, so I am delighted. Hold on a sec.... gonna go do the math....BRB.

Here.... watch these dancing smilies while I go grab the calculator......:jumping1:

That didn't take long, did it???

Anyhoo...... I'm down 2.1 pounds! I'm delighted, but I kind of KNEW that last week's high number was a bit flukey. That being said, I'll take it and count it as a real loss and move on!! Hoping to hang on to this loss and lose another solid 1 pound by next Friday. A super busy weekend of housework and yardwork should help with that. And I'm going to do next week's meal planning today as well.... that will definitely help!

Off to get the housework cranking! TTYL.......................P

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter