Seats on the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my husband ever sat down in a bus and did not offer it to a pregnant or elderly person or someone holding a small child, I would kick him in the shins. Come on, it's just common courtesy to offer your seat to someone who needs it more then you. I have offered my seat to others on a crowded bus because "it was the right thing to do". And to all you people who have leg cramps or a blister on your poor toes, and "can't get up", just say I'm too selfish to give up my seat, don't use these poor excuses.

Don't take the bait . . . don't take the bait . . . don't take the bait . . .

Crap. I'm too weak.

Nothing is stopping the able-bodies parent of said children from letting a bus that has already run out of seats pass, so they can be first on the next bus to come and have their choice of seats.

Nothing is stopping the able-bodied parents of said children from planning for a full bus scenario and making sure to leave the parks early enough that their children won't be exhausted and in such dire need of someone else's seat.

Nothing is stopping able-bodied parents from planning for their own children's needs, rather than just assuming that strangers should be more heavily charged with meeting those children's needs than their own parents are.

I thought this post was so funny...and right too! All I know is that I really try hard to not complain about our vacation in Disney because a bad day at Disney World is soooo better than a good day at work. :goodvibes I wish I was there right now.

If my husband ever sat down in a bus and did not offer it to a pregnant or elderly person or someone holding a small child, I would kick him in the shins. Come on, it's just common courtesy to offer your seat to someone who needs it more then you. I have offered my seat to others on a crowded bus because "it was the right thing to do". And to all you people who have leg cramps or a blister on your poor toes, and "can't get up", just say I'm too selfish to give up my seat, don't use these poor excuses.

No, no, that's not the excuse! The real excuse is that they're nobly teaching those irresponsible standers a lesson. After all, old people, and people with babies, and pregnant women should know better than to get caught up in the magic and stay too late at the parks. It's their own fault for getting old, or choosing to have kids. And if we don't make them stand, how else will they ever learn?

Man, we're awesome, selfless people. We're making people into better parents and teaching oldsters to stop pushing their physical limits. And while we're doing all that, we get to take a load off our feet, too! There's no downside! :lmao:

(I think I love this thread!)

Are you saying you can tell if someone needs a seat more than you do? Can you tell if other people need a seat more than someone else too? If so, wow, that's an amazing ability. If not, please don't judge, and please don't mock my leg cramps. The melanoma re-excision I had down to the lining of the muscle on the back of one calf really does cramp up sometimes, especially when the scar tissue comes ripping off the adhesion. When I know it's really bad, I wait for a bus so I can sit. Please don't give me the stinkeye or make a nasty judgement on me because I look able enough to stand, but have leg cramps. I'm not old, pregnant, or disabled, but I know when I need to sit. I know when I need to wait for another bus. Others should too.

I am not saying some people may not have a hidden disability but come on the majority do not. By the end of a day at disney, I usually feel like I have a knife in my back from all the standing on my feet. Still, there is NO way I would sit down in a seat while there is a woman on the bus holding a small sleeping child or an elderly person standing. I would feel terrible and just feel like this is common courtesy. Remember that phrase "treat others as you would like to be treated"?

I would also like to say, that my family and I have been to disney numerous times and have given up our seats for others and others have offerered there seats to us at times (our small children) (bus and monorail). I just want to say to all you people who never do, try it sometime, it really feels good to do something nice for someone else (even a stranger).

No, no, that's not the excuse! The real excuse is that they're nobly teaching those irresponsible standers a lesson. After all, old people, and people with babies, and pregnant women should know better than to get caught up in the magic and stay too late at the parks. It's their own fault for getting old, or choosing to have kids. And if we don't make them stand, how else will they ever learn?

Man, we're awesome, selfless people. We're making people into better parents and teaching oldsters to stop pushing their physical limits. And while we're doing all that, we get to take a load off our feet, too! There's no downside! :lmao:

(I think I love this thread!)

Is there a like button on here?

Sounds like there needs to be separate busses that just take care of the women with a sleeping child and the elderly who are exhausted from spending a whole day in the park. Then everyone else can stand in line, choose to wait for a seat or stand, and then not worry about being judged by the chivalrous and more decent folks.

I am not saying some people may not have a hidden disability but come on the majority do not. By the end of a day at disney, I usually feel like I have a knife in my back from all the standing on my feet. Still, there is NO way I would sit down in a seat while there is a woman on the bus holding a small sleeping child or an elderly person standing. I would feel terrible and just feel like this is common courtesy. Remember that phrase "treat others as you would like to be treated"?
And you can do whatever you want just like others do what they believe is right for them.

Are you serious right now??

just throwing this out here: if you want a seat, you can catch a cab. just because you arrived on a disney bus does not mean you have to leave on a disney bus.

Ok I'm bored, Notre Dame is killing Purdue and my family is there watching and I'm not lol...so I will go on record to say we don't sit on the bus if there are people standing that need the seats. Someday I may need to sit down and my good deed may come back to visit me:goodvibes So don't offer up your seat, no judgement, me and mine we do and we will, until we can't:hug:

I put as much time planning how to get on a bus with my family in a comfortable spot, so we don't have to be crammed in and standing as some people spend planning their ADRs. I stay over an hour in the park shopping after close, so the busses can clear out, or I leave before the fireworks or final show to beat the crowds. Or I let others pass me up for standing room on the bus, and I get first shot at the next bus. I also pay a premium to stay at resorts associated with parks (boardwalk area) so I can either ride a boat or walk for some parks. Also, I pay more to stay in deluxe resorts, the number of people on kidani busses are far less than the value resorts. Others who don't consider these things should not receive special consideration.

Although, I do understand that some inexperienced people may be overwhelmed by the situation and may be rushed on board. In those situations, I am generally in the farthest seat in the back surrounded by other standing people, and I can't do anything anyway.

And to all you people who have leg cramps or a blister on your poor toes, and "can't get up", just say I'm too selfish to give up my seat, don't use these poor excuses.

Blisters aren't an excuse. They can be horrific

I ran the marathon last year. I had issues with my shoes (I didn't break them in enough) and ended up in the emergency room after the race with a blister roughly the dimensions of an ipod on the bottom of one foot, and 3 blisters on my other foot that were all roughly the size of half-dollar coins. Not only did the skin blister, but I split the next 3 layers of skin under the blister as well.

I spent most of my park days after the race in a wheelchair. The day after the race, I couldn't even get out of bed, and my DH had to carry me to the car to get me to the parks. I was totally non-weight bearing for 3 days.

We rented wheelchairs in the park- which meant I did not have one on the bus. But you can bet your last dollar there was NO way I was giving my seat up to anyone, regardless of how many dirty looks they shot me.

I would also like to say, that my family and I have been to disney numerous times and have given up our seats for others and others have offerered there seats to us at times (our small children) (bus and monorail). I just want to say to all you people who never do, try it sometime, it really feels good to do something nice for someone else (even a stranger).

Do you give up FPs to the mothers with sleeping kids or elderly too? It is really the same thing (crowded area, lots of standing, about 30 minutes).

first off bring your kids back to the room before they are so exhausted
secondly. if they fall asleep and you can't get a seat on the bus wait for the next one or take a cab
third...when my kids were little I never expected anyone to give up their seat for them. I wouldn't allow it. They were tired like the rest of us and we all paid the same price admission so why am I special

final note: going to wdw with my teenage kids my DS and DD always gave up their seat to a young mom or child... I never asked them to they just did it. For me, I would of told them to stay put

My son is 11. We (myself and husband) fully expect he will stand and offer his seat to an elder or a small child if we happen to be on a Disney bus (hope not) or a crowded Monorail. We don't ride Disney buses any longer---we rent a car even when staying on-site. I remember one specific trip getting on the bus to Old Key West and being 6 + months pregnant with a double stroller for my toddler and preschooler. I was holding the sleeping toddler and dh had the preschooler in his arms. No one got up from their seats (simple manners when you see a pregnant woman holding a sleeping child)---please, save me lectures on 'hidden or invisible disabilities' because I am not buying that the entire bus had them. As soon as we got back to our condo, DH called and had a rental car brought to us.

The funny thing is that the only people offering seats were older folks who needed them more than I did.

We would have loved to wait for the next bus but the buses were arriving sporadically and we didn't want to wait another 45 minutes. Hopefully, the bus system is running more smoothly than it was in Dec. 2004.

I tried it again with my 68 yr old mother and 5 yr old daughter last year (Oct 2010) & it reminded me why we avoid using the buses. We waited for about 45 minutes in 90 degree heat.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We're renting the car next week. I am tired of waiting almost an hour after being in the parks all day to have the privilege of standing, packed in like a sardine, for a 10 minute bus trip. I am also tired of people without manners or concern for others, regardless of who needs a helping hand or courtesy. We're renting the car.

Do you give up FPs to the mothers with sleeping kids or elderly too? It is really the same thing (crowded area, lots of standing, about 30 minutes).

I would say that is not the same thing. On the bus, you are still getting where ever it is you are going at the same time, regardless of whether you are sitting or standing. If you give up a fastpass, you are allowing someone to get on a ride much quicker (depending on the ride, the fp time, the current wait, etc etc etc). You will not end up in the same place at the same time you would have as in the bus scenario.

I would say that is not the same thing. On the bus, you are still getting where ever it is you are going at the same time, regardless of whether you are sitting or standing. If you give up a fastpass, you are allowing someone to get on a ride much quicker (depending on the ride, the fp time, the current wait, etc etc etc). You will not end up in the same place at the same time you would have as in the bus scenario.

Not necessarily, the people who "need" a seat can wait for the next bus (10 more minutes or more) or they can get on the crowded bus anyway and then according to this post, every able bodied person is supposed to offer their seat or be labeled a loser. It really is just like fast pass scenario.

All I can say is that I've been standing with my 2 year old (non-sleeping) several times, and every time someone had offered me a seat. I didn't expect it, but I sure did appreciate it. So for those of you that give up your seats, thank you! For those of you that dont, that's okay too.

My hubby usually ends up giving up his seat once or twice a trip. I get that people could wait for the next bus, but sometimes you can't tell how full it is until you get on. And by then, 20 more sardines have packed in after you making it impossible to change your mind.

One thing I won't do on a full bus though is give my 3 year old his own seat. He sits in my lap to make room for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter