Seating on Southwest with family of 4 - 2 kids 2 adults

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
This is our first trip when we had to pay for 4 seats, so we don't all fit in one row. We are a family of 4 - me, DH, DS2.5, DS5. How do you sit? My DH thinks we should have me and DS2.5 in one row, and he and DS5 in front of us. I was leaning towards me with both kids, and him directly across the aisle. But I'm not sure, and usually I go with what he wants to keep the peace (although he wouldn't agree :D:D). My concern with 2 rows is you really can't interact with someone in front or behind at all, but across the aisle you can see the person and actually talk if need be. Plus we wouldn't have 2 people needing to sit with a child in the row. Another option would be to do the 2 and 2, but take both aisle and middle seats instead of window and middle to be directly across from eachother, but the problem is DS5 always wants a window. I know we'll get to choose seats we want within reason, because we're in the A boarding group (we fly tomorrow!!) So any thoughts or advise is appreciated!

We have usually flown 2 and 2 as your DH wants. Works well. When the youngest was little, I would generally take him, but I think starting at age 3, we swap -- one flies with one kid the way out and then with the other kid the way back. That way there is no favoritism and it's easier to deal with one on one. This is also a lot because both DH and I like the window seat so we don't mind the middle as much.

I wouldn't sit in two rows front to back - I'd try to stay in one row but across aisle. It's really hard to communicate in two rows - but across the aisle you can. Now - if the 5 year old is cool being with just dad the whole time - maybe that's okay. But if that 5 year old is going to be a big mover because he can't see you - trying to stand on seat to peer over - stuff like that - that will be annoying for you, Dad, and the other person in your respective rows.

If you HAVE to have a window (which with a 5 year old is likely a good idea) - I'd suggest 3 and 1 - with dad across the aisle.

2 and 2 is a good idea, too, but I gotta say - most families I've seen with kids in that 4-12 range - the kid wants a window...... I know when I've traveled with that age - window view was a big part of the entertainment on the flight. And a 2.5 year old might want to see out a window, too!

How likely is it that one of your kids is going to kick the crap out of the seat in front of him? If there's a risk of that happening, please put either yourself or your husband in front of him.

We always prefer being across the aisle to being behind. It much easier to talk - those aisles are so narrow.

Side note, I hope you paid for EarlyBird or are an incredibly lucky person, because finding all those seats together on Southwest would be a miracle otherwise...

EDIT: that's what I get for not paying attention...just re-read your message...ignore me. Lol :rotfl:

Both my kids want the window so we do 2 per row, one group in front of the other. It's only 2.5 hours. I can go that long without talking to my husband. :duck:

This is our first trip when we had to pay for 4 seats, so we don't all fit in one row. We are a family of 4 - me, DH, DS2.5, DS5. How do you sit? My DH thinks we should have me and DS2.5 in one row, and he and DS5 in front of us. I was leaning towards me with both kids, and him directly across the aisle. But I'm not sure, and usually I go with what he wants to keep the peace (although he wouldn't agree :D:D). My concern with 2 rows is you really can't interact with someone in front or behind at all, but across the aisle you can see the person and actually talk if need be. Plus we wouldn't have 2 people needing to sit with a child in the row. Another option would be to do the 2 and 2, but take both aisle and middle seats instead of window and middle to be directly across from eachother, but the problem is DS5 always wants a window. I know we'll get to choose seats we want within reason, because we're in the A boarding group (we fly tomorrow!!) So any thoughts or advise is appreciated!

Whatever you decide, realize that if your DS2.5 is in a car seat, he is the one that MUST sit at the window. Any car seat is only allowed in the window seat. So if DS 5 insists on a window and DS2.5 is in a car seat, your only option is going to be 2 plus 2.

When we were rookies flying with two kids we did 3+1, but then that resulted in one parent carrying the burden of both kids while the other sat relaxing across the aisle. So then we did 2 + 2, in two different rows. We've always sat with the youngest behind the oldest, in case the youngest kicked the seat. Plus, it's just easier to talk to each other that way and hand stuff back and forth without bothering other people, so we still sit 2 +2 in two consecutive rows even though both kids are now old enough to understand not to kick the seat.

depending on time of your flight, if not first flight of day there will be people already on the plane. plane could be 3/4 full when it arrives at your airport. those already on plane plus special boards will be on before you. hate to say it but with a late morning flight with plane coming from another airport you could be one of last people to board even with an A boarding group

It seems like there is no consensus, but thanks for the input!! I'm going to post some replies, but since I'm on my iPad I don't want to attempt to multi quote - too much risk of losing it all or somthhing going wrong! I guess there aren't smilies here, either, which is odd since there are when I post from my phone. Oh, well...

It seems like there is no consensus, but thanks for the input!! I'm going to post some replies, but since I'm on my iPad I don't want to attempt to multi quote - too much risk of losing it all or somthhing going wrong! I guess there aren't smilies here, either, which is odd since there are when I post from my phone. Oh, well...

ETA- see what I mean about posting with my iPad???? Somehow I posted twice, I hope that's all!

We have usually flown 2 and 2 as your DH wants. Works well. When the youngest was little, I would generally take him, but I think starting at age 3, we swap -- one flies with one kid the way out and then with the other kid the way back. That way there is no favoritism and it's easier to deal with one on one. This is also a lot because both DH and I like the window seat so we don't mind the middle as much.

My DH won't sit with the the 2 yr old - too much chance of him causing a commotion and that's all me LOL! The 5 yr old will now play on his iPad and be quite content.

I wouldn't sit in two rows front to back - I'd try to stay in one row but across aisle. It's really hard to communicate in two rows - but across the aisle you can. Now - if the 5 year old is cool being with just dad the whole time - maybe that's okay. But if that 5 year old is going to be a big mover because he can't see you - trying to stand on seat to peer over - stuff like that - that will be annoying for you, Dad, and the other person in your respective rows.

If you HAVE to have a window (which with a 5 year old is likely a good idea) - I'd suggest 3 and 1 - with dad across the aisle.

2 and 2 is a good idea, too, but I gotta say - most families I've seen with kids in that 4-12 range - the kid wants a window...... I know when I've traveled with that age - window view was a big part of the entertainment on the flight. And a 2.5 year old might want to see out a window, too!

All very good points I agree with, and all reasons why I'm undecided!! I will say my 5 yr old will be prefectly fine being with dad the entire time, that's not an issue at all. I do think he wants a window. Although my DH and I look out it more than he doesn't! He's busy with his games!

How likely is it that one of your kids is going to kick the crap out of the seat in front of him? If there's a risk of that happening, please put either yourself or your husband in front of him.

We always try to be very cognizant of that, and keep them both from kicking or using the seat in front of them to push themselves further back in the seat. I can't say I haven't missed a few, but we do our best. I've been in front of a few little soccer players myself - and am much more understanding now that I have kids!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter