seat selection on southwest

cdngirl

Earning My Ears
hi all,
I have a quick question...

I just booked with southwest and was wondering if you can select your own seats at check-in or are they assigned?

tia!

No assigned seating, first come first serve. Depending on the boarding group you get in is when you get to board and sit where you want.

We flew SWA - 24hrs before the flight I printed off boarding passes from their web site. We got "A". First group on.
:thumbsup2

I have tickets for March. How can I tell which boarding group I am in?

Claire

You wont know until you check in.
I suggest you log in at EXACTLY 24 hours before the departure time (if you are serious about getting a good pass).
Last month I checked in right on the money and still ended up with A19 and so on. It turns out that the first batch (A1 to A18) were held back for Premium paying guests (either that,or they just didn't show up!).Anyway, We ended up the first ones to board and got the front row.

You wont know until you check in.
I suggest you log in at EXACTLY 24 hours before the departure time (if you are serious about getting a good pass).
Last month I checked in right on the money and still ended up with A19 and so on. It turns out that the first batch (A1 to A18) were held back for Premium paying guests (either that,or they just didn't show up!).Anyway, We ended up the first ones to board and got the front row.

Yes, actually A 1-15 are held for business select (high $ fares) and A listers (frequent flyers) so for the "average passenger" that checks in online at 24 hours the first available BP will be A 16.

I have used the new boarding system 6x since it started (3 r/t flights) and I think its great.

First to board is medical pre-boards, folks using a wheelchair or holding a blue sleeve indicating they are eligible to pre-board.

Next is the A line, 1-60 in numerical order. FWIW I have yet to see more than 3 people in the A 1-15 spots.

Next is family boarding, famlies with children 4 and under who didn't have an A BP can now board. Immediate family only, mom/dad siblings.

Next is B, 1-60
followed by C if any

Check in as close to the 24 hour mark as you can and then don't worry your going on vacation.

TJ

Thank-you for the responses. :worship: This is the first time I have ever flown SWA out of the states so I probably would have missed the significance of getting my boarding pass 24 hours in advance. I now have the reminder set on the computer to ensure I get them early.:surfweb:
Claire

Just a quick FYI - When you're ready to come home, the conceirge (sp?) at your hotel will log on to SW website for you and print your BP as well. We did this at AKL in November and got our A pass. You have to be there when they do, so we had to plan our day around being in the hotel at 1 pm to make sure we got as close to the 24hr mark as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter