Seasickness on First Night

Princess Sleepy

DIS Veteran
I am going on my 2nd cruise in just under 7 weeks :cool1:. The first one was on the Dream out or PC in October. We were following a tropical storm, so it was very rough the first night (close the pools and tie down the deck chairs rough). That was the only night I was sea sick, although I am prone to it. We had the early dining and I got through most of dinner. I couldn't do the show in the theater, but I was better up on Deck 11 in the fresh air.

So, here's my question. This upcoming cruise will be in April. Will the waters be calmer (theoretically)? Also, I understand that it is usually rough the first night crossing the gulf stream. Will that occur earlier since we are sailing out of Miami? We have 2nd seating for dinner and I am worried that I will not be able to sit in the MDR and eat. Is BBB open for dinner the first night and will there be outdoor seating? I hate to miss our first night at dinner, but I also don't want to embarrass myself in front of our new table mates.

Any thoughts on those who have sailed out of Miami and might have similar queasiness issues?

No matter where I cruise from, Florida, California. I always get sick just the first night. It is so weird, but maybe some peoples bodies just get used to it after the first day? Next cruise I plan on taking something for the first night to help me get through it.

BBB is not open for dinner the first or last night. The pool deck quick service places will be available and you can sit outside with that.

You can go to your main dinning and get the meal to go. We did that for a friend that was stuck with a sick child. She did not want room service so my son got our waiter to get one of the items to go at dinner and ran it up to her room.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep my fingers crossed that I feel fine, but in case I am still getting my sea legs I will know my options. I hadn't thought about room service either. I could take that outside as well.

Use motion eaze. In lots of drug stores and Walmart for $5.

Child safe oil behind/under the ear. Works great before and during. We have never had a problem using it.

My whole family gets seasick. So, my whole family uses the prescription behind the ear things and we are all feeling fine throughout the cruise.

There was one, very rough day and my daughter felt a little queasy, but nothing severe.

Highly recommend.

Princess Sleepy said:
I am going on my 2nd cruise in just under 7 weeks :cool1:. The first one was on the Dream out or PC in October. We were following a tropical storm, so it was very rough the first night (close the pools and tie down the deck chairs rough). That was the only night I was sea sick, although I am prone to it. We had the early dining and I got through most of dinner. I couldn't do the show in the theater, but I was better up on Deck 11 in the fresh air.

So, here's my question. This upcoming cruise will be in April. Will the waters be calmer (theoretically)? Also, I understand that it is usually rough the first night crossing the gulf stream. Will that occur earlier since we are sailing out of Miami? We have 2nd seating for dinner and I am worried that I will not be able to sit in the MDR and eat. Is BBB open for dinner the first night and will there be outdoor seating? I hate to miss our first night at dinner, but I also don't want to embarrass myself in front of our new table mates.

Any thoughts on those who have sailed out of Miami and might have similar queasiness issues?

What year did you cruise? In October 2011, there was a nor'easter that came down the coast and the seas were BAD, I know because my son and I sailed through it :(

The Gulf Stream wraps around underneath Miami but I don't know how bad the first night is. I'll be sailing out of FLL in 7 days, so I can let you know when I get back.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yep, it was Halloween of 2011. A lot of the CMs said they had never seen it like that. (Nothing like the hurricane they sailed through this fall, but bad enough for me!)

I use Bonine and it keeps it under control for the most part. I had to miss the Golden Mickey's on the 4-day, though and I was so sad. I am very glad they do them the 2nd night of the 5-day I will be on.

I did figure out after the first day last time that I did better with 2 Bonine per day instead of 1, so maybe that will help too.

I would love to hear your report when you get back, texas. Have a great trip!

I always feel sick the first night at dinner also (late dining). I took advice I read here and started taking Bonine the day before we sailed on our last cruise. We sailed Feb. 9-16 eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. I took one per day to start. We had pretty rough seas the first few days; winds up to 43 mi. per hour to boot, so we were rocking and rolling. The first two nights I woke up feeling queasy, so I took a ginger capsule. I then started taking one Bonine in the morning and one at night and I was just fine. Our cabin steward said there were a few people sick from all of the motion, and the gal that did my spa treatment said she was surprised at how rough it was. I was so happy I felt so good! Bonine and ginger are my friends!!! Have a great cruise!

DakotaDisneyLover said:
I always feel sick the first night at dinner also (late dining). I took advice I read here and started taking Bonine the day before we sailed on our last cruise. We sailed Feb. 9-16 eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. I took one per day to start. We had pretty rough seas the first few days; winds up to 43 mi. per hour to boot, so we were rocking and rolling. The first two nights I woke up feeling queasy, so I took a ginger capsule. I then started taking one Bonine in the morning and one at night and I was just fine. Our cabin steward said there were a few people sick from all of the motion, and the gal that did my spa treatment said she was surprised at how rough it was. I was so happy I felt so good! Bonine and ginger are my friends!!! Have a great cruise!

Where do you find ginger capsules?

Yep, it was Halloween of 2011. A lot of the CMs said they had never seen it like that. (Nothing like the hurricane they sailed through this fall, but bad enough for me!)

I use Bonine and it keeps it under control for the most part. I had to miss the Golden Mickey's on the 4-day, though and I was so sad. I am very glad they do them the 2nd night of the 5-day I will be on.

I did figure out after the first day last time that I did better with 2 Bonine per day instead of 1, so maybe that will help too.

I would love to hear your report when you get back, texas. Have a great trip!

I get horrible motion sickness, so I feel your pain. Bonine is all I use now, the patches make me dizzy. I've found that the more I cruise, the better I am able to handle the normal motion (ie: going through the Gulf Stream, I rarely notice it.). Bad seas will always get me, though.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm looking forward to three ports I've never visited. :cool1:

Where do you find ginger capsules?

With the vitamins/minerals. I am pretty sure I bought my bottle last week at WalMart. Also, I LOVE this stuff; it's a ginger drink that I first discovered at the day spa I go to. Excellent for sick tummies (seasickness and overeating, it's perfect for a cruise):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BDKYTMA2GMTPKDWA9KP

Oy... We're on our first cruise in just a few weeks and I have avoided a cruise FOR YEARS because I am sooo nervous about motion sickness. I get sick very easy. I have heard bonine works great--and saw that some of you do use it. My question for those of you that said you get sick, but didn't specify if you take anything or not--did you take anything?! :crazy2:

We are only on a 3 night--wanted to make sure I could handle it before we committed to anything longer. So, if I get sick, for even one day, I lose a 1/3 of my vacation! :(

I definitely plan on taking Bonine daily--should I take it 2x? And definitely will have ginger capsules on hand!

Thank you so much!!

I get seasick and motion sick (cant ride in backseat of car, sick on Simulator rides or spinning rides)
I went on my first and only cruise last March I wore Seabands and never felt sick!! Even the last night which was rough and others felt sick I was fine. The ship I went on was almost half the size of Dream and much older so I am thinking that Dream will be even smoother.

I used the patch for our trip on the Dream last October. I still got sick the first night, but apparently it was an unusually rough night. I got sick around 8:30 and was fine by morning. Never had another problem.

For those of who that have used the patch...do you put it on as it s recommended? 4 hours before the cruise?
I thought I read that I should "try" it out before the cruise to see if I get dizzy.
I don't know how to feel. Super paranoid about being sick. A couple years ago I took a day cruise out of ft lauderdale to the Bahamas and I was fine. On the other hand, I have been on those evening gambling cruises off the coast of west palm beach and I was super sick. I always had to get a shot from the ship doctor when I got on board....

Cgracia30 said:
For those of who that have used the patch...do you put it on as it s recommended? 4 hours before the cruise?
I thought I read that I should "try" it out before the cruise to see if I get dizzy.
I don't know how to feel. Super paranoid about being sick. A couple years ago I took a day cruise out of ft lauderdale to the Bahamas and I was fine. On the other hand, I have been on those evening gambling cruises off the coast of west palm beach and I was super sick. I always had to get a shot from the ship doctor when I got on board....

Im a CNA, and we give the patches to patients who have motion sickness problems. I've been told by my Dr friends to try it for 24 hrs well before needing it, because it can cause significant dizziness. I'd try it to see how you react. But in many, MANY cases, the patch is a little miracle worker for those with motion sickness issues. There's also a bracelet you can wear that can be helpful as well.:)

We typically sail out of Port Canaveral and my partner inevitably feels a tad icky on the first night. She's the can't ride in a car unless driving, can't do rides/roller coasters without Dramamine type. However when we sailed out of Miami in January it was much smoother sailing than going up/down the Florida straits. No issues whatsoever.

We were also on that Hurricane Sandy sailing this past October. The two couldn't have been more different. ;)

Although Bonine works well for me, i prefer to try natural remedies whenever possible. I have found ginger to be just as effective. Here are some additional suggestions.
Ginger gum is another great option. I bought mine at a Rite Aid store. (Thanks for the link to the ginger drink above.)
Some people report that green apples also have a calming effect on the tummy.
Hopefully you will find something that will help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter