seasickness meds

jamieluvsdis

Earning My Ears
our first cruise is coming up in just under 3 weeks and i have no idea what kind of seasick meds i should have on hand. any suggestions as to what to pack for 4 of us? (my husband and 2 girls, 7 and 11)
it's better to have and not to want than to want and not to have! (or have to spend too much $$$ on)
:confused3

my family takes Bonine and we've never had a problem. we take one each day regardless if we feel seasick or not just as a preventative.

We took our first cruise in June and I took Bonine, mints, gum and ginger ale. We didn't need any of it...but wanted to have it just in case! :goodvibes

Bonine works for us. I take mine starting a day before embarking, and keep up with it daily, as a preventative measure. I had some Bonine for Kids for my girls, but didn't give it to them until it was needed (DD#1 did, DD #2 didn't). Fortunately, they have pills outside of the medical center as well, because DH forgot to pack his and needed them badly the first night! I had to go pick up a few packets for him, since he'd told me he'd bring his own so my box didn't have enough to share.

I didn't take anything last time and only felt the ship move the first night. We had a very, very calm cruise. I bought some Bonine this time, some guys my DH dived with swear by it. DH has been on ships a lot, he doesn't get sick.

Bonine works great. It didn't make me sleppy at all. I only needed it on the first night of my first cuise with Disney. I took it after I was feeling ill. I left dinner and took it. It took about 20 minutes to "kick in". I ordered room service (that was yummy) since I missed dinner. Everyone was feeling ill (that was the talk around the pool the next day). They do have free bonine onboard, but I bring some along (very cheap). :):):sail:

Bonine can be purchased under the generic name meclizine for a lot less money than the brand name. A pharmacist can special order it if it's not readily stocked on the shelf.

When I cruised I took Gingerale & Sea Bands. the only time I had issues was when the boat was docked, weird I know & that was only if I was in my room. Fresh air helped that.

Kae

DH and I each took a single daily Bonine and DD6 took Childrens Bonine 2X daily starting the day before we left Port Canaveral. DD6 tapered off to 1X as the cruise went on (11 night cruise) When we hit a little extra waves (16+ feet waves off of St. Thomas) I wore sea bands. None of us got sea sick. :goodvibes

On our cruise last year (my first) we wound up taking the Dramamine you could get free on the ship. It worked, but it did knock you out for 4 hours so we learned to take a half whenever necessary. This time around I bought a box of Bonine to keep on hand since it seems to have more favorable reviews. I paid $3 something for 8 pills which I didn't think was really that bad.

Once you're on the ship, one of the best things you can do is to stay hydrated and keep your stomach full. Keeping busy to distract your mind from seasickness also helps. :thumbsup2

Bonine can be purchased under the generic name meclizine for a lot less money than the brand name. A pharmacist can special order it if it's not readily stocked on the shelf.

I had to ask the pharmacist for it. They keep it behind the counter. I think it depends on what state you're in.

On our cruise last year (my first) we wound up taking the Dramamine you could get free on the ship. It worked, but it did knock you out for 4 hours so we learned to take a half whenever necessary. This time around I bought a box of Bonine to keep on hand since it seems to have more favorable reviews. I paid $3 something for 8 pills which I didn't think was really that bad.

Once you're on the ship, one of the best things you can do is to stay hydrated and keep your stomach full. Keeping busy to distract your mind from seasickness also helps. :thumbsup2

When I bought my bottle of 100 in 2008, I think I paid $5-something. I have used it for 3 cruises. It might be expired now so I guess I'll need another before June. Does anyone know if it works for the rides at WDW? We'll be going there for 5 days before the cruise.

I have big problems with motion sickness and usually start taking Bonine a day before we leave for any vacation. Bonine works great for all motion sickness, I have never experienced any motion sickness problems as long as I take it religiously during the vacation. In answer to your question stlkeeler, yes Bonine works great for me in DW and I ride everything....even tried Mission Space one year!

I am trying my first cruise this Sept, we're doing the 3 night as I want to make sure that motion sickness isn't a problem on a boat! Maybe next year I can upgrade to a 7 night cruise :thumbsup2

I agree on the bonine. I started taking it the morning of the cruise and had no problems. I tried the scopaline patch on another cruise and it made me so dizzy and tired that it was worse than being seasick. I know alot of people have had great success with that, but I'm very sensitive to medicaitons.

Laurie

I used Bonine on my first cruise as well. I took a couple of doses way before the cruise to see if I had any unwanted reactions so I would have time to try other options. Then a day before the cruise starting taking it and had no issues despite a rough sea on our last day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter