Seashells at Castaway Cay

margiemouse

Earning My Ears
The last time I was at Castaway Cay I noticed the beach in the adult section was immaculately clean and smooth with no seashells. I was wondering if there is a section of the island where seashells could be collected?
:boat:

The last time I was at Castaway Cay I noticed the beach in the adult section was immaculately clean and smooth with no seashells. I was wondering if there is a section of the island where seashells could be collected?
:boat:

Even if you find some shell to collect you cannot take them back on the ship - it is not allowed. There are signs asking that you take only memories as souveniers and leave everything else so that others may enjoy them as well.

Even if you find some shell to collect you cannot take them back on the ship - it is not allowed. There are signs asking that you take only memories as souveniers and leave everything else so that others may enjoy them as well.

WOW! Thanks for that quick reply! Do they have a seashell detector as you get back on the ship?:)

I do think they buy shells to replace, as a few my daughter picked up had a hole bored through them at exactly the same position.

DCL will make an announcement in the morning as you are leaving the ship to enjoy CC, and not to take the shells (I am told). :headache:

I, nor my DH heard the announcement as we were so busy getting ready, off to breakfast and excited about our day at CC! :woohoo:

Well, we spent the day at the adult only beach and I collected shells and brought them back with me! :dance3:

That night at dinner I mention to everyone at our table how I collected shells and everyone was shocked. What, I said? Well, as I posted, I guess there was an announcement I did not hear. Ugh.

When I returned from the cruise I mentioned it on here and it was a really funny thread and I was dubbed the "shell smuggler" and then I was TAGGED by the Tag Fairy! :laughing:

WOW! Thanks for that quick reply! Do they have a seashell detector as you get back on the ship?:)

HOpe you are kidding and not intending on going against DCl's wishes about collecting sea shells.

Just go buy them, no big deal, but then again I live on the coast and really find them almost annoying, especially when you step on them.

HOpe you are kidding and not intending on going against DCl's wishes about collecting sea shells.

Just go buy them, no big deal, but then again I live on the coast and really find them almost annoying, especially when you step on them.

Don't buy them either; just as bad as taking them from the beach.

Can you collect them from Nassau? Or, where can you buy them from? I'd like for my students to be able to see them/study them.

The adult beach doesn't have them because DCL doesn't bother putting the bags of small shells there. There is no announcement in the morning but there are signs that say Take only memories...leave only footprints.

Hmmm, I must be completely clueless too because I collected a handful of shells in December. I didn't see any signs about not taking shells and I didn't hear an annoucement. I do specifically remembering the sign about warning about sharks so I am surprised i didn't see the sign about only leaving footprints.

Lots of people were collecting shells on the beach and no one reprimanded anyone. If I see any shells on my upcoming trip, yeah I will probably collect them. As long as they are empty shells. I would never take shells with a living creature insides. Perhaps Disney is just worried guests will take living creatures with them because I did see plenty of starfish etc.

I wouldn't buy shells for a souviner because who knows where the shells in prepackaged bags come from. The only reason I would take a shell is because I want a souivner of a specific beach, not some random shell from who knows where.

Feel free to flame me because my opinion isn't changing.popcorn::

The adult beach doesn't have them because DCL doesn't bother putting the bags of small shells there. There is no announcement in the morning but there are signs that say Take only memories...leave only footprints.

Hmmm, I found sea shells on the adult beach, never went to the kid beach. The shells I saw were definitely washed up shells, not store bought shells. They were small and mixed in with the seaweed. Perhaps it is just the time of year. Yeah I would have a problem picking up "planted" shells but the adult beach had lots of natural shells.

It is actually on the customs form that you are not allowed to bring them back into the US. We did take a couple of small pretty coral that we found at Atlantis.

Hmmm, I must be completely clueless too because I collected a handful of shells in December. I didn't see any signs about not taking shells and I didn't hear an annoucement. I do specifically remembering the sign about warning about sharks so I am surprised i didn't see the sign about only leaving footprints.

Lots of people were collecting shells on the beach and no one reprimanded anyone. If I see any shells on my upcoming trip, yeah I will probably collect them. As long as they are empty shells. I would never take shells with a living creature insides. Perhaps Disney is just worried guests will take living creatures with them because I did see plenty of starfish etc.

I wouldn't buy shells for a souviner because who knows where the shells in prepackaged bags come from. The only reason I would take a shell is because I want a souivner of a specific beach, not some random shell from who knows where.

Feel free to flame me because my opinion isn't changing.popcorn::

Same here I fail to see what the BIG deal is:confused3 its a sea shell. Next are we going to stop picking up pretty rocks off the ground?

My kids have picked up small shells (that is all there is at CC that we saw) at CC. We also got a few at the beach in Nassau, and bought a FRESH Conch shell from a fishermans kid. I have also picked up a few in Cozumel.

Never hid any of them going back on the ship.

Never had any issues with security OR customs.

But.....it's the rules...:confused3

We all know in this life that there are very dumb, silly rules that we may not like or agree with.

But, this is where we teach our children that regardless of how much we disagree with a rule, that you should follow the rule until you or anyone else can get the rule changed.

I am sure I will get flamed too :firefight

We all know in this life that there are very dumb, silly rules that we may not like or agree with.

But, this is where we teach our children that regardless of how much we disagree with a rule, that you should follow the rule until you are anyone else can get the rule changed.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Same here I fail to see what the BIG deal is:confused3 its a sea shell. Next are we going to stop picking up pretty rocks off the ground?

Many of the shells get reused by other critters, such as hermit crabs. Also, we have all that pretty sand because the sea crushed up shells to make it. Even the bits of coral you see washed up end up eventually becoming sand. If everyone ignored the rule, the sea and beach would be a lot worse off that they are.

YES, there are shells on the adult beach as I picked them up.

YES, there IS an announcement as all (we were at a table of 10, 4 couples) heard the announcement (except DH & I). That is WHY everyone was so surprised I took the shells. I am not one to break rules but I honestly did not hear the announcement.

NO. There were NO signs at all.

But.....it's the rules...:confused3

But, this is where we teach our children that regardless of how much we disagree with a rule, that you should follow the rule until you or anyone else can get the rule changed.

I am sure I will get flamed too :firefight

No flames here, I totally agree!!

:cutie:

I know the signs exist, but I think that they're sort off pushed back away from more traveled areas. I've seen them before....just can't remember exact locations now.

There's a bolded message at the top part of the back of the Castaway Cay map asking you to leave seashells there. It says, "Due to our commitment to the enviroment, we ask that seashells, coral and other natural treasures be left undisturbed at Disney's Castaway Cay for all to enjoy."

IMG_0313-1.jpg

(this is from this weekend's Dream cruise, so it's a definite rule)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter