Sears Ultra Plus Detergent for $9.99 shipped

Wow! That's a great price! We use the ultra free and clear version and really like it!!!! My kids have sensitive skin so I can't use the regular one on everything but at that price I am definitely picking one up for everyone else's clothes!!!

If you are really trying to save money you can make your own detergent. Works really well and for our family of four I can make a year supply for less than $10. I learned how to make it on youtube. I add a couple cups of oxyclean and some linen scent essental oil. I've tried the softner, it is okay but I prefer the cheap stuff at the store. Laundry soap we will continue to make.

I used homemade for almost 3 years. It stopped working nearly as well and our clothes got pretty dingy and didn't clean as well.

I now use Kirkland's Tide like laundry and use half the recommended. It works fabulously and isn't much more costly than the Duggar's recipe.

I used the Duggar's recipe when I made the soap:

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content...dry_soap_front_or_top_load_machine_best_value

If you are really trying to save money you can make your own detergent. Works really well and for our family of four I can make a year supply for less than $10. I learned how to make it on youtube. I add a couple cups of oxyclean and some linen scent essental oil. I've tried the softner, it is okay but I prefer the cheap stuff at the store. Laundry soap we will continue to make.

I usually only use liquid as I only wash in cold water. Will the powder dissolve in cold?

We use the powder in cold all the time with no issues...we have a front loading washer if it matters...

I usually only use liquid as I only wash in cold water. Will the powder dissolve in cold?

I used to use powder all the time until I had a problem with it building up in my washing machine (top loader). Afterwards, my dad told me to always use liquid.

I did use the Sears whenever it was on sale and like it fine. I just don't use powder anymore.

I used to use powder all the time until I had a problem with it building up in my washing machine (top loader). Afterwards, my dad told me to always use liquid.

I did use the Sears whenever it was on sale and like it fine. I just don't use powder anymore.

I used to always use liquid, but we had a service man from Whirlpool tell us to only use the powder, that the liquid actually clogged more. Funny. :confused3

We have used liquid since we were told to because we are on septic and not city sewer.

Since then I have heard of others on septic using powder without any issue.

I don't know what the right answer is, but since we pay for the septic ourselves, we have decided to keep the liquid just in case.

Dawn

We have used it since April. I have not noticed any negatives and like it better than the other lower cost detergents we were using. We also have septic and have had no problems. We do alot of laundry and are just finishing the box we open in April. A little goes a long way.

I've used the powder version of this for several years and really like it. The powder causes less scummy build up in front loaders. I typically use 1/2 to 2/3 of the included measuring cup, except for greasy work clothes which get the full cup.

sherry7 said:
I've used the powder version of this for several years and really like it. The powder causes less scummy build up in front loaders. I typically use 1/2 to 2/3 of the included measuring cup, except for greasy work clothes which get the full cup.

Ditto this!! We also have septic - I don't know of any reason why it would matter to use septic? We prefer powder for the front loader....

Shells 4.... Do you care to give us the recipe for your homemade detergent?

I use the same recipe as the Duggar's in the link posted above. The only change I make is to add 2c. of Oxyclean. I also make it in a 5 gallon bucket (outside--and add water slowly or it will overflow). Then I fill my laundry soap container half way with the detergent and then finishing filling the container with water. It saves space. I probably add more essential oils, I don't measure that, just dump half a bottle in.

We don't have a Cosco anywhere near us and with shipping and handling it cost alot more than the homemade. I would like to try it though if I ever got a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter