• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

seabands vs benadryl

nikky

Mouseketeer
My ped suggested using benadryl for the kids. My mom thinks seabands. Any advice:cutie:

Benadryl tends to make adults sleepy and kids hyper. Why do you want to medicate the kids unless they have a problem?

On my first cruise, I did sea bands and a scope patch....had NO problems at all, and on the next cruise did nothing. Again, no problems. Since then, 14 additional cruises with only one sea sick (queasy) episode during a storm. I'd go with sea bands rather than drugs initially. You can always add the drugs later if needed.

The stabilizers on the DCL ships are great--there really is very little motion.

On our cruise in 2004, I didn't want to risk any of us getting seasick. My ped said we could use Bonine (1/2 tablet) for the kids. We all took it every day and had no seasickness and no side effects at all. No one was tired and no one was hyper! Our friends used seabands and they said they didn't work for them. We did see lots of people, including kids, tossing their cookies on Thursday night (Eastern). We were glad we took the preventative route.

Kids are not usually as sensititve to the motion of the ship as adults are. Bendryl usually makes people very sleepy. Sometimes it can have the opposite effect and make kids hyper. I'd stick with the seabands, if anything. Also don't mention the possibility of seasicknesses around the kids. What they don't know won't hurt them.

Benedryl knocks my son out (I use it on the plane--fellow travellers--you're welcome). Does your child tend to get car sick? There's a liquid medicine made specifically for kids. Not sure of the name, but it has a rainbow on it.

Kids are stronger than we are usually.

We used ginger capsules (my twins were 12) after they saw an episode of myth busters which un-scientifically tested cures for motion sickness...worked great for us (who knows how much was placebo effect?)
Barb

I just got back from the Wonder and used ginger extract...it worked very well and is quicker than the tablets. My DD (age 9) started feeling a little queasy and tried the ginger...she hated the taste but recovered pretty quickly.

The extract is sold at whole foods and you can use whatever is leftover in your stir fries when you get home.

I never cruise without my seabands. I can't take Benedryl - allergic to it. And I've been sea sick once, when I wasn't wearing them.

Like kcashner said, you can add something on top of the seabands (start with ginger pills, or scope patch) and leave the heavy stuff out.

Randall

:rainbow:

I gave my son motion sickness meds as a precaution and it turned out that he had some sort of reaction wich actually made him sick to his stomach. I use the wristbands now... not sure if we need them but like to have them just incase.

Are the seabands available on the ship, and does anyone know where we could get a set on land? I'd much rather go that route than medicine if we start feeling bad. We've been on a few other cruises, and did get a little sick, but we were on old ships and our cabin was aft and subject to alot of movement. I know the Wonders stabilizers are better than what we had back then, but wanted to get a set if we could.

And don't say Ebay, we leave Tuesday and sail Thursday. No time to get them here.

My ped suggested using benadryl for the kids. My mom thinks seabands. Any advice:cutie:

Depends on how old your kids are. If they are very young I'd suggest seabands, otherwise benadryl will do the trick. Hopefully you'll need neither. My daughter was 5 and our son 4 months old when we sailed last year. Our seas were very calm and we didn't need anything. Thank God!

Are the seabands available on the ship, and does anyone know where we could get a set on land? I'd much rather go that route than medicine if we start feeling bad. We've been on a few other cruises, and did get a little sick, but we were on old ships and our cabin was aft and subject to alot of movement. I know the Wonders stabilizers are better than what we had back then, but wanted to get a set if we could.

And don't say Ebay, we leave Tuesday and sail Thursday. No time to get them here.

Mozart: Go to Target or Walmart, or any other pharmacy. Ask for the seabands they'll have them.

Please don't forget me!

I've never heard of Benadryl for motion sickness (and every one in our family suffers from it). We only use Benadryl for hay fever, other seasonal allergies or when someone has skin irritations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter