Sea World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring the previous nonsense, I'm curious what everyone thinks about the career of marine biology/science. That is what my daughter wants to get her degree in when she starts college in September. Does anyone think there is any good done at Sea World? Admittedly I have not seen the documentary everyone is discussing and I will at some point. And while I don't think the conditions are the best at SW for the animals, I don't know that I'm so completely opposed. I just need to better educate myself on the subject. But I can't imagine there isn't some good that comes from Sea World?

I do think $eaworld has done *some* good. I don't think all of the animals they house are abused or mistreated. However, I do not believe anyone, including Seaworld, has the ability to properly house sea mammals such as dolphins, sea lions, and orcas. It's one thing to temporarily take in animals that need care and then RELEASE them back into their natural habitat. Has SeaWorld ever "saved" an orca and released it? I searched for this information and was unable to find a single case of an orca ever being captured and then released. I did, however, find information about an orca that was found emaciated and in need of help. Please google Morgan the orca for more information.

If anyone thinks Seaworld does a good job in caring for these animals, they are seriously mis-informed. For everyone spouting about their "rescue and conservation work", are you aware that for every $100 they take in, they spent a whopping PENNY on conservation?

Do I think everyone who goes to Seaworld is uneducated or uncultured? No. I think many of them are ignorant when it comes to the true lives these animals live. Orcas are incredibly intelligent animals that live in pods with family bonds that last a lifetime. Seaworld makes these animals perform inane circus tricks for handfuls of dead fish. Have you seen the footage of orcas swimming together in a coordinated effort to create a wave and knock a seal off of an ice float? It's amazing. That is true orca behavior. Orcas do not swim up to humans and wave their pectoral fins to say hello as they do in Seaworld.

Did anyone see the rose parade yesterday? Notice the beautiful Seaworld float? It shows orcas with a "smile" on their face as they swim in a beautiful sea with other sea life around them. It's a beautiful float. Too bad it's a 180 degree turn from their reality of swimming in a tank with nothing but concrete walls to look at. The orcas at Seaworld are not smiling.

Ignoring the previous nonsense, I'm curious what everyone thinks about the career of marine biology/science. That is what my daughter wants to get her degree in when she starts college in September. Does anyone think there is any good done at Sea World? Admittedly I have not seen the documentary everyone is discussing and I will at some point. And while I don't think the conditions are the best at SW for the animals, I don't know that I'm so completely opposed. I just need to better educate myself on the subject. But I can't imagine there isn't some good that comes from Sea World?

IMO, there are quite a lot of good things about seaworld. But I don't really feel like a debate today, so i'm going to stick with the other question. ;)

Many moons ago, I majored in marine bio in college. It was fascinating, totally loved all the classes. But my type A personality wanted a guaranteed job when I got out, so I switched to regular biology the 2nd semester of my senior year and went on to get a masters in nursing instead. No regrets, nursing has been good to me. A friend of mine also majored in marine bio, went on to get a masters and PhD in something related (marine ecology, I think). She's a college professor now, and doing research. She's also happy with her choice, but college professor jobs are not easy to come by so she's stuck where she is (in an area of the country she'd rather not be) until something else comes along.

Totally fun major, I would just have your daughter research what type of jobs she is interested in after college (for anyone going to college!) and what type of (if any) advanced degrees are required.

My 2 cents :)

My daughter has always wanted to go into Marine Biology as well, and is very well studied (at 15) on the SeaWorld stuff. According to her, they ARE still doing a lot of good with rescuing/rehabilitating, and are certainly better than most marine parks worldwide as far as providing for/caring for the animals that are in the park longterm/forever. She does agree that wild catching should not be allowed at all anymore, and that ideally as many as possible of the animals SHOULD be returned to the wild, however, it is important to realize that a majority of these creatures, including Tillikum, would NOT survive in the wild, and there is NOT an option to return them to a " netted" wild environment, which would be expensive in the extreme.

She should look at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's an amazing facility!

The majority of people dont care who visit these parks. As long as them and their children have a good day out - who cares about a few whales?

Also most of these people that visit are uneducated - they love the loud blaring Shamu Rocks music, the trainers dressed up to look like the killer whales dancing like morons, the back flips the whales do - it is all low culture for the masses.

How many of those people who go to places like that have ever been to an art gallery or have eaten a green vegetable or even know what one looks like?

I have been to SW once.
I have two undergraduate degrees and one masters degree. I have been to an art museum at least six times. I consume lots of green vegetables ....AND sometimes I even eat the yellow, red and orange ones!!!:rotfl2:

My daughter has always wanted to go into Marine Biology as well, and is very well studied (at 15) on the SeaWorld stuff. According to her, they ARE still doing a lot of good with rescuing/rehabilitating, and are certainly better than most marine parks worldwide as far as providing for/caring for the animals that are in the park longterm/forever. She does agree that wild catching should not be allowed at all anymore, and that ideally as many as possible of the animals SHOULD be returned to the wild, however, it is important to realize that a majority of these creatures, including Tillikum, would NOT survive in the wild, and there is NOT an option to return them to a " netted" wild environment, which would be expensive in the extreme.

Sea World doesn't rescue and rehabilitate wild orca. Orca wild populations are doing OK.

An interesting challenge for young people with her interests would be to replicate sanctuaries for orca along the lines of sanctuaries now operating in the US for former captive large mammals and former captive and research apes. Those options were thought to be expensive in the extreme and unrealistic not that many years ago.

Seaworld are trying to import a pacific white sided dolphin from Japan.

Info here: https://www.**********************n...cific-white-sided-dolphin?share_id=XuemSViFwN

Also did anyone read this that Seaworld voted for itself in the CNN Blackfish poll - for more than 54% of the votes in favour of visiting Seaworld?

Why would they feel they had to do this despite the fact they would have won the poll anyway?

Their IP server showed up again and again:

http://m.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/01/somethings-fishy-with-this.html?ana=twt&r=full

Seaworld are trying to import a pacific white sided dolphin from Japan.

Info here: https://www.**********************n...cific-white-sided-dolphin?share_id=XuemSViFwN

Also did anyone read this that Seaworld voted for itself in the CNN Blackfish poll - for more than 54% of the votes in favour of visiting Seaworld?

Why would they feel they had to do this despite the fact they would have won the poll anyway?

Their IP server showed up again and again:

http://m.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/01/somethings-fishy-with-this.html?ana=twt&r=full

NOAA is able to trace the origins of the dolphin to Taiji and the horrific dolphin slaughter and capture there. Once again proving sea world does have significant ties to Taiji and wild capture throughout the world. SW is still appealing NOAA's denial of a permit request for captured whales from Russia. Yet their rebuttal letter regarding Blackfish states they do not take part in wild captures. Hmmmm.

Wow. Nasty post. And saying stuff like "most of these people that visit are uneducated" or "eaten a green vegetable or even know what one looks like" is the reason why threads like this get closed all the time. And those kind of comments certainly don't sway people to change their minds.

:thumbsup2

I have a question about DC and the swim with dolphins activity. The dolphins are 600-700 pound wild animals. They may or may not be distressed and/or neurotic from being held in a small tank. We know there are documented incidents of people, including children being bit and teeth raked while participating in one of these programs. People put themselves and their children in these tanks. Ok. The mother of the 12 year old girl that protested the sea world float in Pasadena was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Yet people pay hundreds of dollars to put their children in a tank with 600-700 pound wild animals.
Can someone please explain this to me?

My family will never swim with dolphins, anywhere. I'm sure some facilities are much better than others, but I've read too much to do it in good conscience. We were planning to go back to SW this fall (we get free tickets as my husband is in the military), but I haven't seen the documentary.
We like vegetables and art, too.

I have a question about DC and the swim with dolphins activity. The dolphins are 600-700 pound wild animals. They may or may not be distressed and/or neurotic from being held in a small tank. We know there are documented incidents of people, including children being bit and teeth raked while participating in one of these programs. People put themselves and their children in these tanks. Ok. The mother of the 12 year old girl that protested the sea world float in Pasadena was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Yet people pay hundreds of dollars to put their children in a tank with 600-700 pound wild animals. Can someone please explain this to me?

What does one of these activities have to do with the other? Nothing. Zilch. Nada. No one can explain it to you because there is no correlation.

What does one of these activities have to do with the other? Nothing. Zilch. Nada. No one can explain it to you because there is no correlation.

Sure there's a correlation. One mother put her child at risk by allowing her to protest cetacean captivity and this swim with dolphins activity. She is now facing charges. Thousands of mothers pay hundreds of dollars to put their children at risk yet it's an acceptable practice. I don't understand how anyone can put themselves or their child in such unknown danger. And pay to do it!
If you can't see the correlation that's fine. But can you tell me why people take such risks with their children's safety?

Sure there's a correlation. One mother put her child at risk by allowing her to protest cetacean captivity and this swim with dolphins activity. She is now facing charges. Thousands of mothers pay hundreds of dollars to put their children at risk yet it's an acceptable practice. I don't understand how anyone can put themselves or their child in such unknown danger. And pay to do it!
If you can't see the correlation that's fine. But can you tell me why people take such risks with their children's safety?

I don't know about the mom of the child at the parade, but have you ever brought our kids to Disney? Any theme park with rides? You too are paying to put your children in unknown danger.

Sure there's a correlation. One mother put her child at risk by allowing her to protest cetacean captivity and this swim with dolphins activity. She is now facing charges. Thousands of mothers pay hundreds of dollars to put their children at risk yet it's an acceptable practice. I don't understand how anyone can put themselves or their child in such unknown danger. And pay to do it! If you can't see the correlation that's fine. But can you tell me why people take such risks with their children's safety?

Still no correlation. As to why: parental discretion. Same reason protest mom let her kid get arrested.

I don't know about the mom of the child at the parade, but have you ever brought our kids to Disney? Any theme park with rides? You too are paying to put your children in unknown danger.

Rides at Disney and sea world for that matter are closely monitored and inspected. Precautions and safeguards have been put in place. There is no way to know what a wild animal is thinking and what they are going to do. No comparison.

We used to live 5 minutes away from sea world in California. I do feel bad for the large animals in captivity, but when I take my kids to zoos or aquariums I am not there for the entertainment factor. We are there for the learning experience.

My daughter at age 3 could identify different types of whales and sharks, as well as reptiles and fish. We went to these places for the rope climbs, roller coasters and the learning. We also have taken whale tours in the ocean.

For me the two don't really compare. I fostered a life long love of oceanography as many do that was magnified by a trip to Seaworld at 7.

I see the harm in going to Zoos and aquariums, I also see the experiences that lead to a more educated person- despite what one poster julienne? described. Even art galleries have checkered histories, but that doesn't mean you can't take the experience for what it is. A chance to behold beauty and appreciate the choices we have.

Great things have come from trips to questionable places. It's up to us what we take away from these experiences.
Ana

Rides at Disney and sea world for that matter are closely monitored and inspected. Precautions and safeguards have been put in place. There is no way to know what a wild animal is thinking and what they are going to do. No comparison.

So you're saying there's no chance of getting hurt? I wonder what the statistics are for ride injuries/deaths verses animal interactions? And what about safari rides at Six Flags and Animal Kingdom? Shouldn't Disney be lumped in for the safari at Animal Kingdom?

A lot of good is done by Sea World. In fact, I just finished watching a piece on the local news. Sea World rescued a manatee that was in shock due to cold water stress. They don't handle these extreme temperature changes well. Thanks to Sea World, the manatee is recovering and will be released as soon as it is well.

I won't defend everything that happens at Sea World, but they are not the monsters many people make them out to be. Living in the area, I see regular evidence of the good work they do. They are there when a marine animal is in trouble. They rescue beached whales and dolphins on a regular basis. I often see reports of them releasing sea turtles that were hurt after they've been given medical care. They are, at this time, trying to find out why 800 manatees died in Florida last year. Their scientists are working with local fish and wildlife people to prevent this in the future.

When I was a teen, I wanted to be a marine biologist, but it wasn't possible. Living in the Midwest made it difficult. lol! It is a hard degree to earn, but a very worthwhile profession. Not all marine biologists work in the theme parks. Many work behind the scenes to protect the future for marine creatures and, ultimately, for us.

There is no guarantee where wild animals are concerned (marine or otherwise). Just because they are used to being around people does not mean that a rhino at Animal Kingdom couldn't go berserk and attach a ride vehicle. Likely? No, but it could happen. Trainers and the staff that work with the wild animals at Disney are just as much at risk as the workers at Sea World. The only difference is that the animals at Animal Kingdom do not, for the most part (except birds), perform. AK staff work with lions, tigers, elephants, etc. Those are very dangerous animals. Mistakes happen at the best of facilities. Just today, a lion escaped from a large animal sanctuary near Tampa. Humans make mistakes and, where large creatures are concerned, sometimes those mistakes cost lives.

I think we can all agree there is risk inherent in all daily living activities. Driving your car, walking down the street, shopping at the mall,etcetera. The chance of an animal breaking through the barriers at AK are very slim. When you swim with dolphins I know you must sign a waiver acknowledging the risks involved. Sea world obviously knows the danger involved. I know there is no waiver required to ride a ride or to go to AK. It is a dangerous activity. I'm glad my family members will not be on the evening news because a dolphin has had enough and decides to attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter