Sea World: to go or not to go?

New England

Mouseketeer
We are coming in April and staying off site so we will have a rental car. We had originally planned to go to Sea World but due to some unexpected expenses have had to cut back on our vacation funds a bit. I am thinking about not going to Sea World.

This is our first trip to Disney and we will have 7.5 days there. I am thinking that we will have our hands full with just going to Disney.

So, what are the thoughts on missing out on Sea World?

If you think you will be back again, don't go to SW. I love the park, but would not go if it was my first trip to WDW. It costs so little to add a day to a Disney ticket compared to a one day ticket to SW. I don't think you will miss it, unless there is someone in your family that wants to go really badly.

We went to Sea World last year in April and my kids loved it. My 3 year old still talks about it. Although I don't know if I would take days away from Disney to go. We were there extra days before our package started so that is why we went to Sea World last year. It is a really nice park so it is a hard call to make!

If you have to trim expenses then that might make sense as the way to go, but it would be an absolute shame. You didn't mention if you had kids and their ages, but between the touching opportunities (dolphins and skates), a couple of great shows (Shamu, the sea lion one, pet stars), and the huge playground area for kids, there's just enough to do in a day there without feeling overwhelmed.

Is there anything else that can be cut instead, perhaps a table service meal to be replaced with something cheaper like on I Drive?

My feelings on Sea World are mixed. Admittedly I haven't been to that particular park in many years.

Going to any of the offsite parks though adds quite abit of expense to a WDW trip, and tehre is certainly plenty to keep a family busy at WDW for a full week. Addinga day at WDW costs like maybe $10 for a family that's already going more than four days. Adding a day at another park is over $150. So it's an easy way to trim the cost of a trip.

There are plenty of families who get Disney'ed out after five days...but adding another theme park isn't alsways the best solution if you are tired of crowds, lines, and themed everything.

Sometimes a nice 'budget' idea is to spend a day relaxing at your resort, esp the pool- if that gets dull - spend some time touring other resorts -and eating in the food court there. Another day we like to spend a resort/offsite day is to hit one of the outlet malls in the area. The one just off I-4 has a WDW store that can be a great place to pick up souvies for less.

i've been trying to work it in for 10 years:confused3 u could easily spend the amount of time @ WDW, just don't wait too many trip though

between enjoying onsite @ Universal for a few days, quick 3 day cruise & the ticket structure @ WDW, i've never managed to take my baby to SW...he'll now be 16 & sez he's 'too old' for it:rolleyes:

im sorry i waited, still thinking of dragging him this year, between the 2nd day offer & other length of stay options for around $80 (Busch Gardens-free bus transport is offered too/Aquatica), it's looking to be more of a deal

I've been to the "other two" (San Diego and San Antonio). Sea World parks are wonderful---a very different experience and pace than anything that Disney offers.

That said, if you need to cut back on expenses, the $75pp that Sea World is going to cost is a pretty easy thing to give up---you won't be bored at the four disney parks over 7-8 days.

I've also been to San Antonio and San Diego Seaworld's, so frankly I am sick of them. But DH wants to go, so I'll tag along. So I could skip it as well. :rolleyes:

Sea World is an excellent park. I have really enjoyed it in the past. However, I can easily go to Disney and skip Sea World. If you need to save the money or the time, stick with Disney. If you have the money and time for Sea World, it is worthwhile.

I think that it depends upon your family. If you really like sea animals then it is an awesome place to go, however if you want to go just to go then I'd say save it for another trip. We didn't go to SW for our 1st trip but did go for our 2nd trip. Our older kids were 8 and 5 and they loved it, but they also love manatees, sharks, whales etc so they had a great time seeing some of their favorite animals. That being said we would not have gone if we couldn't afford the extra $$$. We got cheap $25 tix from the NRA website thatnks toa poster here on the disboards.

Since you have to trim expenses then I wouldn't go to Sea World this trip since it is not added into the other 4 parks price (which is a bummer since I love Sea World).

I really think you won't be missing out on anything - really. Maybe next trip you can do Sea World. Where are you staying? Some places offer great specials/discounts to Sea World once your in Florida.

Go. The world does not revolve around Disney and you need a change of pace. Sea World provides that and it is very educational as well.

Ok I have a strategy that I plan to use but not going to save for the short term. We will be there in Feb for 6 days, and we booked buy 4 get 3 package with 7 day park tickets included. I plan to upgrade the base ticket to no Expiration which will cost $53.25 each according to Mousesavers. I will use 4 days in DW for 4 parks, and I will buy 1-day Sea World ticket which is good for 2 day admission. The upfront cost is high (about $120 per person), but I will get 3 days DW ticket left on our left trip, which is a saving around $150 per person.
Does this make sense to anybody?

ust wondering how you ot the $25 tix from the nra? do you need to be a member?

It was some special that they had running on their website. I don't remember exactly as I didn't find out about it until someone posted about it here on the disboards. Perhaps you could search for the thread on here?

I would go to Sea World. It is our family's favorite park after the Magic Kingdom. My kids were 2, 5, and 7. They still talk about it and want to go back every time we go to disney area. Great kids area and great roller coaster for adults.

Actually, we were just faced with the same decision a few weeks ago.....and decided to do SeaWorld. We're very glad we did...we hadn't been there for many years (probably 20). The shows were great....even though it is a park....the pace is much different than WDW since it is mostly shows. The shows were fantastic.......the dolphins were just amazing. Several in our group (all adults) opted to feed the dolphins and enjoyed it very much.....they also allow children to feed. Since it was January crowds were also very light.....might be more crowded in April. However, my family visits WDW a few times a year.......so we didn't feel we were missing anything since we've seen everything at WDW many, many times. The cousins we were with hadn't been to WDW since 1986 and still wanted to do SeaWorld. On cost......we are Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards members (you can sign up on their website)
and saved 20% on up to five tickets with our RR member card.....ended up costing us $56 vs. $70......but, you do need to purchase the tickets at the ticket window on the day of your visit.......cannot do it in advance online. Seaworld was also offering online advance purchase adult tickets at child prices.......don't know if that was a special promo or if it's still going on. You might want to check it out on the SeaWorld website. We preferred buying at the window since we really weren't sure if we were going until the day before.

we went the year before last and I was really excited about it because I knew my kids would enjoy it. However I was dissapointed for the price. It was expensive for the experience in my opinion. Yes they enjoyed shamu and on the particular day we were they a spaceship was launching from the space center and we saw it go above our heads. But overall for the price considering my kids were to small to ride ANY of the rides, it was a dissapointment for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter