Sea Sickness

jtlover

DIS Veteran
Can anyone put my mind at rest. I see that the standard rooms are on Decks 1 and Decks 2 and wondered whether this is going to make me feel sick as it is lower on the ship.

Although I have not been on a cruise I am concerned if being low down on the ship I might be sick.

Thanks

actually, i think being on the lower decks is better. You get less movement the lower you are. Think about the ship like a tree swaying in the wind, the higher up you are the more it sways,,,,,,:sick:

The lower you are, the better for seasickness. They also give out wonderful medicine at the front desk on the boats. They even tell you exactly what time you should take it - depending on what time you leave each port. It saved my sanity on our cruise! I'm planning on hitting the desk as soon as we get on the next time!

While the prevailing thought is that "lower is better" it's near impossible to know precisely how the experience is going to affect each individual....

The type of seas you're in, the speed of the boat, the wind sheer, all affect the movement of the boat. Additionally, your vestibular system complications may not be exactly like someone else's.

All that blah blah said.... lower is usually better because there is less movement.

And I cannot recommend ginger more than I'm recommending it right now... there are sea sickness gums with ginger that I have found just work really really well.

Also, the CVS brand non-drowsy sea sickness medication is pretty good.

According to the laws of physics, lower would be better. However, on a modern stabilized ship I'm not sure there is much of a detectable difference from deck to deck.

I wouldn't get too concerned if you don't know you will be sea sick. I was pretty worried about it before our first cruise, however no one in our family got sick. We actually ended up really enjoying being on the ship. I think I miss the rocking of that ship for quite a while after we get back. Kinda like we get land sickness each time... I really enjoyed being rocked to sleep every night and the more it rocked the more I enjoyed it!

The stabilizers (basically underwater wing's similar to an aircraft's) only stop the side to side motion.

The best stateroom for someone who suffer's from motion sickness is Deck 1 or 2 Midships.

The middle of the ship coupled with being at the lowest guest deck will be the best place for less rolling or pitching in any weather.

This graphical explanation might help.

http://www.pomorci.com/Zanimljivosti/Ship's%20movements%20at%20sea.pdf

Ex Techie

Our first Disney Cruise we hit rough seas the first night. At first I just felt like I just wasn't used to being on a ship. Then at dinner I noticed the water in my glass moving back and forth. I tried really hard to not look at it. :) Then we went to the show and the curtains on stage were swinging!! I started to feel a little woozy but it was not terrible. After the show we went to the comedy club and I happened to get the one char with uneven legs and it was rocking. I had to get up and leave in the middle of the show. I went up on deck and the fresh air made me feel much better. I went to bed and never felt a thing in my cabin (we were in 5000-something). After that the weather settled down and I never had any other problems. :) This time I am bringing 'Biobands' for me and the family just in case. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter