Sea Sickness Question

JennK36

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I am new here and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on seasickness. I have cruised with DCL 2 times in the past and we are sailing on the Dream 5/12/11. I always feel very dizzy, and kind of out of it but not really nauseous on the first night of the cruise (once we get going fast out of port). By the next morning I am usually fine and remain that way for the rest of the cruise. Not sure why it is only the first night. :confused3 I will be traveling with my DH (who is always fine) and my 4 year old daughter. She was 2 the first time we took her so I am not sure how she was affected although she was fussy the first night. I am worried about how the ship's movement will affect her as well. Anyone have any experience and or advice on how to get through that first night? I heard that Benadryl works well for kids?

Thanks! :)

As far as sea sickness is concerned you can go at it a couple of different ways. Dramomine will cause you to sleep throught your cruise, bonine is better. I have used the sea bands as well, small elastic bands on your wrisst. A more natural way is to flatten ginger ale, also you can start on ginger pills a few days before hand (all natural) or take along some ginger snap cookies. Good luck and enjoy..

I too am curious about folks experience with sea sickness or lack therof specifically related to their kids. I'm usually fine. I'll get a bit queasy if the boat is really rocking but have never gotten sick. But, how about the kids? Did your kids get sick? What age were they? Did you see the ship doctor? Is Bonnie referred to on this site the same as Benadryl?

Thanks for your response as I'm a bit worried about one of our kids getting seasick.

my kids have been on 6 or 7 cruises now and are very rarely sea sick. The only time that I can recall them being sick was one night when the water was very, very rough-other than that they are great. I have a feeling that kids just handle it a bit better than us adults. I usuayl get sick my first sea day, so I know the night before to go to guest services for the sea calm tabs and they always work-but work best when you take them before you are actually sick.

Bonine isn't the same as Benedryl. You can find Bonine right next to Dramamine. (I get mine at Walmart) They also carry children's Bonine.

My DH and my two boys have never been sea sick (we've been on 4 cruises so far)

I am the one who does get sick. Well, I don't actually "get sick" but I do get VERY queasy, dizzy and a bit unstable. LOL

THE thing to remember is to take one Bonine the night BEFORE getting on the ship and then I take one each morning. The only time I'll still get a bit queasy is if the seas are REALLY bad and that's only happened once. And the queasiness wasn't really that bad.

If you take Bonine the night before getting on and then in the mornings can you stop it a few days into the cruise?
Can you take it as a precaution but then stop it is you are all right? Or would doing that be really dumb?

We leave in about 6 weeks for our first cruise

thanks!

All 5 of us, DH, myself, and our kids, 13, 8 and 6 took bonine chewable tabs for our 2/13 - 2/20 MR cruise, starting the night before we left and no one got seasick or had any side effects. DD 13 stopped taking it halfway through the cruise and had no problems but the rest of us took it all week to be on the safe side. Our seas were very smooth until the last couple of days so we probably wouldn't have needed it, but why take the chance when there are no side effects? I got seasick on the cruise we took before this one, (probably because I was pregnant),so I wore my relief band the first couple of days to be on the safe side, but didn't really need it, so I packed it up after that. I tend to get carsick pretty easily, as does our 6 year old, but neither of us had any problems.

I think you will find with the Dream that you won't have as many problems. The Dream is rock solid and you hardly notice the speed or the current especially the first and last nights.

We have never been sick though just to be safe we also start taking Bonnie the day before we leave and continue every morning. It is a very small chewable pill that has never made any of us sleepy at all! I won't cruise without it;)

I might be able to shed a little light on sea sickness,
Sea Sickness is generally caused by a percieved imbalance, between what the eyes see, and the body feels. Basically as the ship rolls or pitches, the eyes see the wallls as straight, but the body senses are saying that no, they are crooked. With the conflicting senses, people will feel nauseas, dizzy etc.

There are a few things that will cause the above, and theres a few simple solutions, that dont involve medicines. Though for some people meds are the only things that will work.

Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of clear fluids such as water, prior to boarding.
Dont think about getting sick. Some people can talk themselves into being sick.
Take things slow.Relax and have fun.
Keep your sinuses and ears clean. This can have an effect on your sense of balance. However small, it will cause the above on a moving ship.
Try not to look down, try and look at far points in a room, etc.
If you start feeling sick, go to an open deck, close your eyes for a minute, and when you open them, look at the horizon. Watch the horizin for a little while until the feeling passes.
Drink some water, and eat some green apples or cheeseits, or crackers. This will help expand your stomache and releive the discomfort.

We had cruised four times before we hit a cruise with really bad seas coming out of PC on the Magic a few years ago. Since then we have learned never to travel without Bonnine. It does not make you drowsy and it is a one time pill in the morning safe for kids also.
I agree with the post to stay hydrated and belive it or not keep your stomach on the full side, it is when you do not eat that the symptoms are worse.
Always try to focus on the horizon and if you feel the waves of nausea coming on..GET OUTSIDE. The sea air will help and try to balance yourself as much as you can. Rock with the ship it will help to even out your ear fluid, but I swear by Bonnine, you will not see me sail without it. As far as stopping it, if you are on a longer cruise you can stop taking it in the calm waters of the Carribbean, it is the gulf stream that makes the first night and last night so iffy.
Enjoy your cruise:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter