Sea sick after getting off?

mhawk4

Mouseketeer
We got off the Dream yesterday morning after 4 wonder days. It was a great trip and more wonderful than we could have imagined. We cannot afford to go next year, but will book as soon as the dates for 2014 come out.

I felt fine the entire time. I did wake up some nights and I could feel the ship moving but it did not make me feel bad. After we got off the boat yesterday I kept feeling like the ground was moving under me and when I would first stand up I would feel unsteady. I felt the way I sometimes feel after I have been on a treadmill for a long period of time (as if the ground is moving under my feet). By the end of the day I was feeling motion sick and today I keep feeling like I have vertigo and sometimes when I move fast I feel nauseous. :crazy2:

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions on how to make this go away? Should I have used motion sickness patches on the boat?

Even right now I feel like things are swaying.

Congratulations! :cool1:

You earned your sea legs! :thumbsup2 :lmao:

It should pass in a couple of day's and is just that your brain has gotten used to compensating to the movement of the ship, and now your are on solid land it's confused!

If not go see a Doc, but don't be a landlubber because of it!

Ex Techie :)

It should pass in a couple of day's and is just that your brain has gotten used to compensating to the movement of the ship, and now your are on solid land it's confused!

The above is right. Pretty normal after a cruise.

happens to me too. For me it lasts for 3-4 days. It's the weirdest feeling!

I was fine during the cruise but felt woozy after getting off. Took 1 Dramamine which helped with sleeping on the flight back home and was fine.

Oh, it will not keep me from cruising again! Might cause me to look for a job with the Disney cruise line :) I want to go again now!

We cannot afford to go next year, but we are already planning to book a trip once the 2014 dates come out. We can afford it every two years.

Even as I sit here things are spinning as I move my head fast.

I will call the doctor if it does not stop. Maybe next time I will see about the patch to wear on the trip and a few days after.

I was fine during the cruise but felt woozy after getting off. Took 1 Dramamine which helped with sleeping on the flight back home and was fine.

Thanks, I might try this if I still feel like this tomorrow and cannot talk to the doctor.

Oh, it will not keep me from cruising again! Might cause me to look for a job with the Disney cruise line :) I want to go again now!

We cannot afford to go next year, but we are already planning to book a trip once the 2014 dates come out. We can afford it every two years.

Even as I sit here things are spinning as I move my head fast.

I will call the doctor if it does not stop. Maybe next time I will see about the patch to wear on the trip and a few days after.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

If you do try the patch next time, do a trial run a couple/few weeks before your cruise. They make me dizzy and unstable; can't use them at all. I just take Bonine.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

If you do try the patch next time, do a trial run a couple/few weeks before your cruise. They make me dizzy and unstable; can't use them at all. I just take Bonine.

Good to know. What is the difference between Bonine and Dramonine?

The best recommendation I've seen for this is to take sea sick medicine once you're back on land. Just as you may need to aclimate to being on the sea, you may need to aclimate back to land.

Motion / lack of motion is basically the same inner ear issues.

This happens to me every time. I have a prescription that my doctor gives me that I take when I get off the ship. Its called clonazepam. I take it for a few days and it takes care of it. Call your doctor and he will give you something. It was really kind of scarey when it first happened but it is fairly common.

Holy cow! Really? I am shocked a doctor would prescribe klonopin for this - it's pretty addictive!

Original poster, I would probably give some dramamine or bonine a try next time - keep taking it a couple of days off the ship and you should feel better. I am motion sensitive and that does help me.

This happened to me after getting of our first cruise - it was weird. I popped some bonine and it did subside for me!

I am prone to vertigo, so have meclizine (generic Bonine) on hand always. I continue the seasickness meds for about 3 days after the cruise. After my first cruise (and before I knew to medicate!) the ground rocked and rolled for about 3 weeks!:scared1:

It is perfectly normal! Your body is trying to compensate for what it experienced at sea, and hasn't reconciled what is it experiencing now with what it "knows." (This is often why the first day/night at sea is usually the worst w/r/t seasickness too). Call your doctor if you are worried, but a little bonine for a few days will probably fix you right up.

I feel your pain though! When I get vertigo, I can't move without waves of dizziness, so I know exactly what you are describing! Good luck! :)

Just a reminder to folks that might use a patch. Wash your hands well after applying and DO NOT touch your eyes. Your pupils will dilate for many hours if you do. Just a tip!

Sort of a nice way to extend your cruise, no? Yeah, I know, no. I wear the patch on the Cruise and have ZERO issues onboard. When we got back from our second cruise, the land was ~~~ for about 4-5 days on and off. When we got back from our third -- almost THREE WEEKS before it stopped.

You have my sympathies. May It leave you soon. DH gets it for about two days. Lucky him.

- Dreams

In many situations in my "medical" life, I have been told to "pre-medicate" for anticipated issues that we know will happen.

So my thoughts are that if you are prone to motion sickness (as I have been my entire life) then I take a Bonine when getting off the ship. Then again after arriving home and then I have ZERO issues. It's like the medication calms whatever woozy feelings that might come. Sometimes the seas make me need Bonine while sailing but usually it is when I get off the ship and the next few days.

BTW - I have major car/sea sickness issues - I'm not someone that is reporting slight discomfort. I just think planning ahead seems to help a lot! Good luck!

I was surprised by this after our first cruise as well. I called a nurse friend and started to take my Bonine again for a few days after being on land. One wonderful perk was I discovered how much more I enjoy the rides at the parks when I have had some Bonine. I have always just put up with a bit of queasiness at the parks and now I no longer suffer. I take it when I ski as the lifts always get me swirly, on the plane, and on long drives. Woo Hoo!! Love the stuff!! :thumbsup2

Good to know. What is the difference between Bonine and Dramonine?

Different active ingredients. Bonine is Meclizine HCI 25 mg. Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate 50 mg. Dramamine makes me sleepy. But, I just looked on Dramamine's website and they now make a "Less Drowsy" formula that is the same as Bonine.

I would opt for either the Bonine or the Less Drowsy version of Dramamine.

Holy cow! Really? I am shocked a doctor would prescribe klonopin for this - it's pretty addictive!

Original poster, I would probably give some dramamine or bonine a try next time - keep taking it a couple of days off the ship and you should feel better. I am motion sensitive and that does help me.

That's what I was thinking!

If it lasts longer than a few days, OP, you may have what's called Mal de Debarquement syndrome. Although the normal "motion sickness" meds don't usually work on this. Hoping you are better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter