• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea lice @ CC

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
Just got off the Dream. It was every thing I dreamed of and more. It was amazing. Will try to do a trip report in a few days. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up: sea lice is in full swing on CC. We were there on Tuesday, 5/27 and didn't have a problem in the morning but after lunch we went over to Pelican Plunge and that's where we started noticing issues. The first time we went, no issues. By the second time I noticed a lot of kids were getting out of the water complaining about being stung and they had what looked like rashes and welts all over. My eldest came out of the water saying she got stung and CMs told her to flush it with hot water. I took her to the bathrooms to do that and discovered she'd gotten stung all over...exposed skin and under her swim suit. Thankfully she reacted very well and was willing to go back in the water after a bit of rest. She and DH swam out to the lifeguard tower by the snorkeling lagoon where she got stung again! Kids were saying they were being stung every where they went. Just a heads up. I don't think there's a need to worry but knowing what to expect helps. It ended up not being a big deal for us. Out of the 4 of us DD was the only lucky one who got stung. After flushing with hot water for a while the stings disappeared by the next day. Watch yourself and kiddos closely if you don't know how they will react if they get stung.

Thank you all who have helped me plan and prepare for our cruise for the past year+. We all had an amazing time, sea lice and all! :)

I am so sorry your family had problems. I didn't know hot water would help. I have read that if you go back to the ship and get in the hot tub it will help but who wants to do that? We only get a few hours on CC and I would want to spend as much time there as possible!! ::yes::

We were there a couple of weeks ago and was scared we would have a problem so I got a bottle of Sea Safe and we all used it. No sign of any sea lice then though.

I'm guessing it must be really recent. Friends of ours were there the weekend before us and didn't have issues. I even had some SeaSafe in my bag but forgot to use it because we were running late to the Stingray Adventure (which was awesome btw!) You're right though it's just not enough time on CC. I explained that to DD and she was willing to stay and play. I just doused her stings with hot water in the bathrooms for a while and it helped. She ended up snorkeling till they kicked us off the beach so I guess it didn't bother her that bad lol. She and DH snorkeled all the way out to the end of the rope in the snorkeling lagoon and said it was worth every sting. Tons to see...stuff Disney put there, lots of fishes and they even swam with a small sea turtle!

Wow- never heard of sea lice?!?! Thank you so much for making me aware! What is sea safe? Never heard of that either! I'll have to look it up! We are leaving July 5 and don't want my 5 year old to be afraid of the water!

Must be something that comes and goes. We were at CC on 5/21 and had no problem at all. :beach:

We were at Castaway Cay on April 25 and DD was stung in about 20 different spots, mostly under her swim suit. An interesting thing we learned from the first aid at CC is NOT to apply any ointment like cortisone, it'd only make it worse.

Well, at least the problem is simply solved with hot water; my foot has been stinging since I got out of the water with the Vibe kids that day.

It may not be a constant problem. It may depend on things like the weather/wind, and currents, however Peliocan Plunge seems to be the main problem spot for sea lice. We had a problem there a couple of years ago. No problems at all on the rest of the island.

We were at Castaway Cay on April 25 and DD was stung in about 20 different spots, mostly under her swim suit. An interesting thing we learned from the first aid at CC is NOT to apply any ointment like cortisone, it'd only make it worse.

What did they say you should do? Nothing?

It may not be a constant problem. It may depend on things like the weather/wind, and currents, however Peliocan Plunge seems to be the main problem spot for sea lice. We had a problem there a couple of years ago. No problems at all on the rest of the island.

What did they say you should do? Nothing?

I agreed that Pelican Plunge seems to be the main problem. DD snorkeled for an hour with DH then played in the water for another hour with no problems. Five minutes at the Pelican Plunge and she walked out stung everywhere.

First aid had a stack of paper they hand for this specific issue. Basically the only recommended remedy is to take a hot bath - as hot as can be tolerated.

Going to CC next week, is there anything we can use to prevent from getting stung??

We just got off the Dream as well and the sea lice had my son all itchy.

Definitely bring something. Always better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Wow- never heard of sea lice?!?! Thank you so much for making me aware! What is sea safe? Never heard of that either! I'll have to look it up! We are leaving July 5 and don't want my 5 year old to be afraid of the water!

They are baby jelly fish and settle in the lining if swim suits from what I understand. I also have read they aren't there a few days before, during and after a full moon. I don't know if that's true but we sailed during a harvest moon and had no issues with sea lice.

So, am I understanding correctly that I shouldn't have to worry about these in January on Castaway Cay? Is it more of a summer thing? Or, can it still be a problem if we get a random warm day?

Oh wow. We just got off the Dream and while at CC, my son came out of the water and had these bumpy red welts on his chest/stomach area and said it itched like crazy. I had thought that maybe he was rubbing sand on it. That must be it.

Does anybody know if they sell SeaSafe on board or anyplace in the Orlando/Port Canaveral area? Our cruise leaves a week from today, so I don't think we have time to order on-line.

Does anybody know if they sell SeaSafe on board or anyplace in the Orlando/Port Canaveral area? Our cruise leaves a week from today, so I don't think we have time to order on-line.

It's not onboard. I don't know about Orlando or PC area though. I got mine on Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter