Sea Days vs. Port Days - Which is Better on the Ship?

kevdad

Mouseketeer
I've often wondered whether people who like sea days would be better off taking a cruise with more port stops. Sea days can have big crowds at certain times and venues (pool areas, lunch, etc.), so with a bunch of people off the ship during a port day wouldn't staying on the ship those days be even better than a sea day? Or is it more about being on the ship while it's moving?

I LOVE the boat on port days! We just got back from a 7 night on the Fantasy and didn't get off except for some time on Castaway Cay. On port days we enjoyed doing the Midship Detective Agency, movies, the pools, the Aquaduck (no line - daughter did it 6x in a row on the last day), etc. We booked for a 7 night on the Magic next year and I am glad there are 4 port days (Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Castaway Cay) and we are only planning on going to shore at CC and possibly Cozumel. I cruise DCL because I love the boat!

When we got back to the boat early afternoon on the Castaway Cay day, we had the Mickey and Donald pools completely to ourselves for an hour!

I guess it all depends what the person likes about sea-days. If it's just hanging at the pool and such -- yes, those areas are less crowded during port days. If it's some of the extra programming or services, a lot of that is only offered during days at sea.

Enjoy your cruise!

Having been on many cruises it's Actually longer cruises with a mixture of sea and ports and new ports to call at.

Depends on why a person loves sea days. We absolutely love sea days but would not book port intensive cruises and then skip the ports. We do stay on board for ports we don't enjoy (Nassau) and often for ports we've been to many, many times (St. Thomas). We do take advantage of less crowded pools - but only for an hour or two at most. It's not really what we enjoy. We like the activities that are offered on sea days. On port days, you are pretty much limited to pool, movies and other "do-it yourself" activities (reading, board/card games, napping and on new ships Midship Detective; mini golf).

I'm sooooooo excited about the three sea days upcoming on my Fantasy cruise!! I plan to do a lot of reading on my verandah, have Palo brunch one day, and possibly (depending on the offerings) do some of the enrichment stuff. :) I'm excited about St. Maarten for sure. Not as excited about San Juan, BUT as it turns out I've got family who will be cruising on the Eurodam (silly people liking HAL better...haha!) which will be pulling into port early in the afternoon we are there, so I'll get to see them, which makes me happy. And I love Castaway Cay!! So I'm hoping this cruise is a good balance of things.

Another vote for sea days!!!! We live next to Virginia Beach, VA. Plus being retired Navy I was stationed in Hawaii and San Diego mostly. Castaway Cay is "nice" but its just another beach. We LOVE all the on-board activities of a sea day. Scheduled for the 26Jun15 Double Dip on the Dream. Kinda upset that all the summer cruises are Double Dip. Just not the type to take kids out of school. Now our cruise time has two days at a beach when we can go to the beach within 15 minutes at home. As far as ports...the time is usually to short for my liking. I couldn't imagine DCL to Hawaii. After living there I can't fathom having six hours or so to explore. Too short. Throw the lines off and let's "Stay at Sea"

I think another answer to it is why are you on the cruise is it because of the ship or the itinerary. For me i's the itinerary and the ship is second I like getting off and exploring all the ports the sae days are just a nice break between them.

I've often wondered whether people who like sea days would be better off taking a cruise with more port stops. Sea days can have big crowds at certain times and venues (pool areas, lunch, etc.), so with a bunch of people off the ship during a port day wouldn't staying on the ship those days be even better than a sea day? Or is it more about being on the ship while it's moving?

I have to say that late dining allowed us to really enjoy the ship on both port and sea days. We would get off at the port, enjoy the day, and still have time to enjoy the ship while lots of folks were at dinner. :woohoo:I didn't find the ship crazy crowded except around the kids' pool area. :scared:

For us some of the best moment of our cruise were sailing the Adriatic sea, while sitting on our verandah, just seeing and hearing the water flow by and looking at the wide view. I was awesome and relaxing and it's just not something you will enjoy while docked with a view of a containerterminal or another cruise ship.

For us some of the best moment of our cruise were sailing the Adriatic sea, while sitting on our verandah, just seeing and hearing the water flow by and looking at the wide view. I was awesome and relaxing and it's just not something you will enjoy while docked with a view of a containerterminal or another cruise ship.
Very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter