Screaming Child at resorts

Mirax

Mouseketeer
This is not a complaint. I have a 9 month old who screams. I have dealt with it for some time, so now I don't think anything of it, until I started planning our vacation. I am working on trying to get him to stop, but if I don't, I have two options.

1. We don't go to Disney, it just isn't fair to those who are on vacation to have to listen to his screaming.
2. We go to Disney in October and stay at The Cabins at Fort Wilderness. We have stayed there and loved them. The stand alone cabins are very quiet.

However, I wanted something a little different is there a DVC resort that has four independent walls? Other than the tree-houses, I can't afford them.

How long has it been going on? Is it just a recent thing or has this been happening since he can make noise?

Are you planning a vacation soon? Maybe a little further out would be better, when the baby's a little older, like in 6 months?

Have you considered off-site? There are many single family homes you can rent.

I say plan your vacation and just keep working on it :goodvibes
Maybe call the hotel a few night prior and explain the situation if its still going on. Maybe they can make sure you are not right next to anyone else and give you a room at the end of the hall.

I would like to give you a hug :hug: for thinking of others. Not all people would have even considered others in the next room.

Good luck and I'm sure he will grow out of it. My 7 year old DS didn't sleep through the night until he was 13 months old and now I have to beg him to wake up for school at 7:00am

I think an offsite single family home would be perfect for this situation. That's the route we took when our kids were that small. It helped that we could rent a full size crib and that they could have their own bedroom so that the environment was as similar to home as possible.

We had some wonderful vacations that way!

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Your little one is likely to be so stimulated on your trip that sleep won't be an issue.

I am 3 kids (6, 4, and 1) and they ALL have been bad sleepers - but never at WDW - they are simply too tired!

The only sleep problem I can think of in 9+ trips was when my 4 year old was 8/9 months and developed bronchitis - we ended up having to take her to the ER the next day. So, it was completely out of the blue - but once she got medicine - back to crashing at night - and this was NOT the norm a home!

In about 3 months your little one will start walking and being even more independent - making him/her sleep even more sound at night. Of course, your trip could always hit teething, illness, or a bout with night terrors - but that's more of a "cross that bridge when you come to it" sort of thing - you can't predict it - so don't worry about it. And if no one who COULD be teething or sick planned a trip to WdW, they would be down a lot of vistors! :-)

Your concern is thoughtful - but I think it will end up being a non issue - or, an unpredictable one and you shouldn't try to plan for the "what ifs" - espeically with a young child - they change SO quick!

If you like the cabins I'd say go for it. I've always been interested in them, but given the fact we like to eat our way though Disney while there, the kitchen doesn't appeal to us.

I think it's extremely thoughtful of you to be worried about it. But honestly, for my family, if we heard a screaming baby, I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's their only way to communicate their needs. You should hear me when I don't get my way!

Jenny

Honestly, OP, I'd opt for the cabins. It would be better for you and would avoid any problems in a room where you share walls. There are the tree house villas at Saratoga Springs too. I'm not trying to be ugly but as a fellow traveler, I know I would appreciate someone being considerate. If I were in your place, that is what I would do.

My DS screamed every night multiple times a night for at least a half an hour until he was 3 and a half and we asked him why he cried every night and he said his tummy hurt. Turns out he had reflux but atypical so it was never discovered.

When we were in hotels I would take him out of the room up to the lobby because those people have to be awake. He usually slept in his stroller seat when really little then in his stroller in hotels until he was too big for it. It made life easier for me to move him quickly.

I was staying at an offsite Orlando airport hotel one time because DH's flight home was delayed and DS screamed and I had people calling my room yelling at me to get my kid to stop. I didn't try very hard that night, they made me mad.

First, I want to thank you for being so considerate of others. Being adults next door to a screaming child isn't much fun!!

Don't know the reason for the screaming, colic? teething? but I think you'd feel less stressed being in the cabins, and not constantly worrying about the screaming distrubing others.

This is not a complaint. I have a 9 month old who screams. I have dealt with it for some time, so now I don't think anything of it, until I started planning our vacation. I am working on trying to get him to stop, but if I don't, I have two options.

1. We don't go to Disney, it just isn't fair to those who are on vacation to have to listen to his screaming.
2. We go to Disney in October and stay at The Cabins at Fort Wilderness. We have stayed there and loved them. The stand alone cabins are very quiet.

However, I wanted something a little different is there a DVC resort that has four independent walls? Other than the tree-houses, I can't afford them.

I don't have any advice, but wanted to thank you for being aware of your child's limitations and having consideration for others. :flower3: It was many years before we could take our severely ADHD son out to restaurants, movies etc. We just could not ruin everyone else's experience.

None of the DVC villas, other than THV, have independent walls. In fact, many of the DVC studios and one bedrooms are part of larger lockoff villas and will have a connecting door (that is kept locked), making the "neighbor noise" even worse.

Thanks for being considerate. My husband and I own DVC and we really enjoy our quiet villa time every evening. We sometimes get a night of noise and that's to be expected but I wouldn't be very happy to have night after night of it.

Thank You for your responses everyone. Staying of property is not really an option. It's suppose to be a vacation, if we stayed off property we would have to rent a car, the DH in Orlando traffic:scared1::scared1::rolleyes1:rolleyes1. Let's just say, sick kids in the back of the car and the two of us yelling at each other does not make a fun vacation. The screaming is not colic, wish it was I can handle colic. DS screams just to hear himself, and right now the only thing I can do is ignore him. Once he is older I will be able to put him in time out, I have the timeout corner with his name on it already to go.

I figured the cabins are going to be the same cost if I don't get the meal package and stay at a mod, which I won't need because I will have a full kitchen. I think I really just wanted to avoid the internal bus that goes through the campsite, it adds to the length of time it takes to get to and from the parks.

1) I think you are on the right track.
. . . don't go, or
. . . stay in cabins or tree houses
2) I would go ballistic with a "screamer" next to me.
. . . in hotel
. . . in parks
. . . in restaurants, especially
3) I assume there are MANY others off like opinion.

NOTE: I am not a psychologist, and don't play one on TV, so
I would not comment on behavior. I would only comment on
the effect of that behavior on others.

I have a two year old, so I can sort of relate. Mine has always been pretty good, but on our trip just last week, he had a meltdown on the monorail. I felt like the worst parent trying to contain him on the ride to epcot. I wouldn't want to plan a trip when I knew i would have to deal with that kind of stress a lot! I say strt planning something several months out and hope he grows out of it! Good luck!

I too had a child that had to cry himself to sleep each night. Every time we stayed in a hotel I requested a room at the end of the hall (either bottom or top floor), or next to a public area, or above the pool/lobby, etc. Just try to reduce the number of neighbors and put his pack-n-play as far away from known neighbors. I do love your idea of the stand-alone cabins. If you can afford it, I think I'd go for it and forget all about neighbors:thumbsup2

A room on the end may help. Also, your child will probably be so worn out they'll go right to sleep.
Also.. don't get a room with an adjourning door... sound really goes RIGHT through those we found out. I was just talking loudly one evening and our neighbor pounded on that door! Granted, I was right next to the door at the time... but still, was OMG, never thought they'd be able to hear me!

Cabins are probably your best choice, especially since you said you've stayed before there and loved it!

If you end up in a regular hotel instead of the cabins (I think the cabins are a great choice - I love FW :lovestruc), explain your circumstances to the front desk when you check in. It would be a good idea to not be in a connecting room, because noise does travel through the door much easier than through a wall. I'm sure they have probably had this type of issue to deal with many times, and I'm sure they have found some room locations are better than others for containing the sound. Depending on the time of year, there could be some parts of the resort that are less occupied than others - to give you a sort of "bubble" around your room. I agree with the poster who said he may grow out of it by the time you actually take the trip, so I wouldn't cancel altogether.

And another thanks for your consideration of your fellow guests! :thumbsup2 We appreciate it!

I agree that the DVC villas are probably not a good option at this point. Most villas do have connecting doors, unless you get a two bedroom, which would be significantly more expensive than the cabins.

My suggestion would be to stick with the cabins for one more trip, since you know they work well for you. By the time your next trip rolls around, I'll bet your little one will have outgrown the screaming. :thumbsup2

Thank you for being so considerate and aware of others in your planning! It is not very often that I read a post where someone is thinking "out loud" before the situation happens.

And anyone who would have been placed in the rooms around you would thank you also. I traumatically remember a stay at AKL where all the balconies open out over the same savannah and one family sent their screaming toddler out to the balcony to yell his head off every day for what seemed like hours at a time! Totally ruined my balcony time! Even my calls to the Front Desk went unheeded.

Good luck!

First off, I must tell you I'm super impressed by this post! Most people wouldn't even think to be this considerate of others!! In fact, DH and I stayed at WL in December and had the worlds loudest neighbors! Adults, talking realllllly loudly at 6:30 am!!! UGH! I wasn't going to complain but I mentioned it to another travel agent from my agency in conversation during the stay and she called the WL manager and complained for me!!!

I think the cabins are a great option for you! DVC resorts really don't differ from the other resorts much and unless you got a larger room like a 2 bedroom it wouldn't really help!

Staying off site in a rental home could help but then you'll have to rent a car.

Good luck!! Thank you for being such a considerate Diser!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter